Forum > For Safety's Sake

Dressing for conditions

(1/2) > >>

demonick:
Yesterday I launched (1PM) off the 27th Ave NW dead end on Richmond Beach trolled C&R up north of Wells point and back - no strikes.  Then searched for 100' of water to anchor in and go for flounder, but the evening gale drove me off the water about 5:30PM.  No boated flounder. 

Conditions deteriorated very quickly over about 30 minutes.  It went from barely any wind chop to a 15 kt north wind (promised cold front) with chop over the bow and spray in the air.  The last quarter mile into shore was a vector exercise fighting the wind trying to push me south and offshore.  I was dressed well and reached the beach a bit winded and invigorated.

20 minutes later after shedding the dry suit I see a SIK struggling to get back to the beach, a lot of water is coming over his low bow and the driver looks pretty haggard.  He finally beaches and crawls out of his boat.  Skinny guy, breathing real hard, no shoes, shorts, a light short-sleeve Hawaiian-like shirt, all of it soaking wet.  He was shivering badly, and had trouble sustaining conversation.  Pre-chilled, had he gone into the water he would have been dead meat in 5 minutes.  I helped him carry his boat to his car. 

Made me glad I have made the outfitting decisions I have made with all your help.  Thank you.

steelheadr:
Unfortunately, the Darwin Awards come to mind.

Congrats to you for being prepared. That can't be stated enough.

boxofrain:
HOY! HOY!
 glad to hear you helped out.
 I'll bet that "yaker" learned a lesson or two just looking at you, your dress and  "approach", being all comfy and all.
 Knowledge is power, this is a powerful website.

Thanks Pole2 Et. AL. 

Spot:
Well done!

I think we'll see more and more of this.  Kayaking is really catching on and there are lots of paddlers who seem oblivious to the perils of wind and water.

INSAYN:
Good job man!  Kudo's!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version