Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:01:15 PM]

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Roe  (Read 6187 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
The discussion on roe in the chum thread led me to want to ask about other kinds of roe that you all eat.  I decided to start a new thread instead of continuing to hijack that one.  So, who eats roe?  What kind?  And how do you prepare it?

-Allen

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Uni! :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Roe = Bait!!

Having said that, I have an Asian lady friend that said she'll take all the salmon roe that I give her.  I told her next time she prepares some I'll give it a try.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I ate the roe from the piggy brooder I caught back in '11 and it was awesome.  At the advice of another member of the site I brined it.  Then I got some appetizer crackers, cream cheese, and soy sauce and ate the entire batch in one evening since we were leaving town and I didn't want to see if it would make it in the fridge for a week.  It was pretty damn tasty!  My burps were pretty raunchy though.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:04:32 AM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Pollock and cod roe but I typically eat them after being commercially cured. Salt for Asian style and sugar and salt for more Scandinavian style. Herring is good but I personally don't know how to prepare it. Same with herring roe in kelp.

P cod milt as well as salmon milt isn't bad if you can get over the concept. I try to convince myself that women eat chicken eggs... Doesn't always work for me.

I like the shrimp eggs on the spot prawns we catch but it's more just the texture. Not much taste.

Plus 100 for uni! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Milt, as in salmon baby gravy? No thanks.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
P cod milt as well as salmon milt isn't bad if you can get over the concept. I try to convince myself that women eat chicken eggs... Doesn't always work for me.

You have to get past the looks too, a bit "brainy".  But it's pretty damn good, huh?

I also like halibut roe (or any flatfish roe) pan cooked in a little butter or olive oil, salted to taste.  The texture is more creamy, and spreads well on your favorite crackers.  Or just eat it like any other roe "standby" ... over rice!

-Allen

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
I'd try that. I imagined something a little more rough.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Back when the Oregon legal limit for Sturgeon was 6' every once in a while someone would get a max legal length fish that had eggs (I remember 3-4 times it happened) . There was enough that we used my moms salad bowl to hold them all.  Friend of my dad  would brine them up, I'm guessing it was a salt/sugar brine.  I always ate them and thought they were ok, but I was young and the experience was lost on my uneducated palette.  Wish I had a chance at them now.  Makes me chuckle when I think of a bunch of crusty local fishermen drinking Hamms and feeding and their kids Ritz crackers topped with 100's of dollars worth of fresh caviar. 

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!

You have to get past the looks too, a bit "brainy".  But it's pretty damn good, huh?

I also like halibut roe (or any flatfish roe) pan cooked in a little butter or olive oil, salted to taste.  The texture is more creamy, and spreads well on your favorite crackers.  Or just eat it like any other roe "standby" ... over rice!

-Allen

Shirako or cod milt. Definitely a psychology thing. Like that served to me in a high end restaurant I think it's pretty damn good. I've never kept one from a fish I have caught though I rarely up until kayaking fished this season right now which is the peak for mature cod roe and milt.  I probably have issues from standing under the waste shoot collecting them so I could export them to Japan.  I could sell upto 7 tons per day.  Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

bwon

• Herring
  • I fish,I dive, and I ride a boat
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
The discussion on roe in the chum thread led me to want to ask about other kinds of roe that you all eat.  I decided to start a new thread instead of continuing to hijack that one.  So, who eats roe?  What kind?  And how do you prepare it?

-Allen

Well,
 I ate pretty much all kinds of roe. You can put on the salt and pepper [ but i prefer fishsalt ] and fried them up or cook them with soup or curry.
Talkin about Salmon Roe I prefer to eat it raw by soaking in the Mirin [ Rice Vinegar ], add a little Soy Sauce and sake for couple hours may be overnight would be best. Then You eat it with some compose salad, or you can eat it like japanese style.
In the other way you can cook it all way. Make sure cook it all the way like well done ; For example You making Some Coconut milk soup or curry you just add the roe when it start to boil. [ If you add it when it not hot, of course it will leave the fishy smell to your food ] cooking with boil temp for few mins and low to simmer for 15-20mins.

Preping the Salmon roe: You have to rip the egg sag and break apart. You don't wanna cook the whole chunky roe.

Hope you enjoy : )))))

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I tried some fresh steelhead roe from a hen I caught 2 years ago.when I opened her up I thought what the heck.not bad but If I don't do it again it won't break my heart.prepared would probly make a big differance.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Any of you folks prepare lingcod liver?  Any recipes?  I cringe when I see them and they look like they'd be delicious but I have no idea what to do with them, so I toss 'em.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Try salmon or steelhead roe with salt and white wine.  Like popping little balls of wine. Great as garnish on pasta or just a cracker. Need to separate eggs into caviar.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

misanthrope

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
I do it like bwon does it.

Prepping roe is the biggest ordeal with any type being eaten raw that is larger than flying fish roe. If you don't prep it, it will take on a strong fish flavor with an interesting after taste.

The way I am familiar with is one used by my people back home.

Start by using a wet paper towel or use your hand that is heavily coated in table salt (pickling salt turns into a slurry and rock salt requires a light touch). Take a spoonful of fresh roe removed from the membrane and set it into your salt coated hand or towel and roll it around the salt for a minute or two to strip the outter coating off the roe. Lay the roe out on a dry paper towel or cotton towel and set aside. Take all the cleaned roe and place in a glass jar filled with enough liquid to cover the top of the roe. The liquid should consist of a 1:1 ratio of rice wine and soy sauce. Now I say soy sauce, but I don't mean Kikoman. I mean real soy sauce in the brown/sweeter variety. Cap and let sit in fridge for 2 days and enjoy!

Or fill a jar with borax, uv dye, glitter, garlic and red food coloring for bait when you get tired of scrubbing eggs with salt.

-Will