Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Noob/lazy man mistake...  (Read 6852 times)

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Drain you're kayak after fishing, especially if paddling freshwater and even if you think you're going out again the next day. Because if you don't end up going the next day...or the day after...or a few days later, you'll forget to drain it, and some sort of biohazard will eventually be found inside...

I've been fishing my Revo13 for about 3 years and have forgotten on occasion to open the hatches during storage and yet it has never created a bio-hazard inside.

What are you putting inside your yak?
good question......

-Rodney-
When catching fish, blood, plus water, plus bait, usually makes it's way into the hull. 

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Drain you're kayak after fishing, especially if paddling freshwater and even if you think you're going out again the next day. Because if you don't end up going the next day...or the day after...or a few days later, you'll forget to drain it, and some sort of biohazard will eventually be found inside...

I've been fishing my Revo13 for about 3 years and have forgotten on occasion to open the hatches during storage and yet it has never created a bio-hazard inside.

What are you putting inside your yak?
good question......

-Rodney-
When catching fish, blood, plus water, plus bait, usually makes it's way into the hull.
sounds like a serious seal issue I would want to address immediately.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Usually happens when you catch a fish, then your hatch gets blood on it, then a little water, then you open it, and the stink drips in a bit at a time.  A limit later, you got all kinds of nasty inside the boat, specially if you're out bottom fishing.  "Oh hey, Cabezon #5 threw up all over my hatch while I was taking the hook out."

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
Usually happens when you catch a fish, then your hatch gets blood on it, then a little water, then you open it, and the stink drips in a bit at a time.  A limit later, you got all kinds of nasty inside the boat, specially if you're out bottom fishing.  "Oh hey, Cabezon #5 threw up all over my hatch while I was taking the hook out."

still sounds like a leak issue, I have never experienced this problem and I have harvested my fair share of yak fish.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!

still sounds like a leak issue, I have never experienced this problem and I have harvested my fair share of yak fish.

-Rodney-
It's not.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Don't open the hatch...problem solved  ;D
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod

-Rodney-
It's not.
what kayak are you wielding?

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
Don't open the hatch...problem solved  ;D
well being a self bailing kayak one should rinse thoroughly before opening any hatch after harvesting or bait handling, if there is water getting in an in opened hatch it is called a "leak" lol and I would address it. If its from open/closing the hatch that's a different story ;)

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
It's a super minimal amount of water. Hatch is closed and you pull wet feet or fish on top of the hatch area. The water pools on the top of the seal. Open hatch again and it goes inside boat. Or even if it leaks slowly in it's NEVER going to impact the performance of the boat. I'm sure another point of entry is through the rudder lines when the stern buries in a swell. Again, minimal.

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
It's a super minimal amount of water. Hatch is closed and you pull wet feet or fish on top of the hatch area. The water pools on the top of the seal. Open hatch again and it goes inside boat. Or even if it leaks slowly in it's NEVER going to impact the performance of the boat. I'm sure another point of entry is through the rudder lines when the stern buries in a swell. Again, minimal.
ah yes Ido get a tiny bit through the rudder lines and rear factory rod holders if raining. I have heard of using silicone spray for improving hatch seals. I will be using some on my hatches as soon as I remember to pick some up.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

anything