Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Tanwax Lake MD Weekend Event 05-26-13  (Read 3127 times)

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
We had another great event this past Memorial Day Weekend (Sunday 05-26-13) at Camp Lakeview on Tanwax Lake. I want to say thanks to the owners of Camp Lakeview and to our volunteers(WindandEmotion, MicahG, t_l_2_1, Nangusdog and Adam12, we had other non NWKA volunteers as well) that helped make the event a success.

I felt a bit discouraged waking up to the pouring rain, even during the drive down to Tanwax Lake I felt that the day might be a bust. The VA Hospital vets were a no show, but we had soldiers from the Warrior Transition Battalion still show up and one them brought his wife and 3 sons along.

After getting everyone geared up and on to the water, the sun eventually made it's way out after an hour or so. Everyone fished for quite a while, especially the kids. The youngest "Koa" was our first to catch a fish, Nangusdog was showing him the ropes and by the end of the day Koa was calling Nangusdog (Gordon) "my Chief". Koa went on to catching somewhere around 5 or 6 trout and perch. He even outfished our seasoned NWKA volunteers.

Because everyone was wanting to stay out a bit longer to fish before coming in for lunch, we sent MicahG out with water and snacks to tide everyone over until finally coming back in for some Fish Tacos, Spaghetti, BBQd corn and we decided to fry up the mornings catch. The soldiers but mostly the kids devoured all the fresh fish that we fried up.

WindandEmotion will load more photos and hopefully the NWKA volunteers will chime in as well. Thanks again guys for an awesome show of support!

rbchar

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Very nice!!
Kids out fishing and enjoying the day...sweet!
Grant

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Nice work boys! Looks like a great day on the water.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Another great event. Food was tasty, as always, Dino! Haha yea Koa outfished just about everyone, this was also first time the boys had been kayaking (fishing too?).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:40:04 PM by micahgee »
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
As promised, pics from the event. the weather started a little rough but leveled out by the end of the day.. all in all a fun time had by everyone, thanks Dino for setting everything up and running it all, you rock!
Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks Fil! I love the picture of Nangusdog's runaway kayak.

Dino Abulencia
HOW-NWest

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Micah... nice pics, I need to load these to FB

Dino Abulencia
HOW-NWest

pugetsound

• Herring
  • Yaktrap is the coolest photographer ever.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
That is so cool.
"Fortiter in re, suaviter in modo"

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
That looks like a perfect venue. Nice to see the youngsters getting out and filling the stringers. Great work Dino and crew.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Adam12

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Another great HOW event!  Really fun to have the kids out there and see how excited they were to not only paddle around but catch some fish.  One of the kids saw my stringer with two rainbows around mid morning and then again at the end of the day.  "Did you catch two more?"  I said, "No, these are the same two from before."  His response, as he held up his stringer of at least three "Oh, I thought you would have caught more fish than me"  Doh!

Great day all around.  Thanks to Dino and his base camp crew for doing all the cooking and heavy lifting.  Showing up to sit my butt in a yak for a few hours hoping to hook someone new to kayak angling is the easy part.  I look forward to the next event.
Adam

Red Revo13

anything