Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 14 FT wherry  (Read 13290 times)

piercho

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I've had a sea kayak since the 80's but my go-to boat in Puget Sound is my Pygmy Kayak kit "Wineglass Wherry".  It's an ultralight boat made with stitch and glue construction.  At a little over 100 LB I can carry the boat a few blocks by resting the center thwart on my shoulders.  Hull speed is 4 to 5 knots with oars.  I rigged it with FISH ON holders and a Big Jon "Big Water" manual downrigger.  I put a hauling cleat amidships and on the bow for handling anchors and pots.  I use a Hummingbird portable downrigger kit with a DIY transducer bracket that allows me to attach or retrieve the transducer without damage when beach launching.

What I like best about this boat is I can cartop and launch the boat on my own and it's a dream for slow trolling and mooching. It's well mannered in sloppy water and wakes.  And I can handle full-sized crab and shrimp pots from it.

What I like least about the boat is how much wind effects it.  It is a kite in a breeze and it's very difficult to make headway against a wind stiff enough to blow up some chop.

piercho

• Krill
Ummm...some help...  Adding a jpg to the ATTACH box did not attach it.  I also failed to figure out how to create a user gallery to upload images there.

So... how do I go about attaching images to this post?  I'm not finding an intuitive way to do it.  Is there a "how to" section somewhere to help with this?

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Those are beautiful boats. Someone knocked on my door and wanted to buy a jon boat I built about 9 years ago.  I wasn't home but my wife got his information.  My wife was a little surprised when I said I may sell it to him. What she doesn't realize is that I intend to replace it with the CLC Wineglass Wherry. >:D

If you have a photobucket, or other similar account, you can click the photo button when you are typing your post and insert the link.

bigdood

• Lingcod
  • poormansheli
  • Date Registered: May 2009
LOVE the Pygmy Wineglass Wherry.  End up at there shop every summer and tell myself one day when I've got free space....

As far as pics try this thread http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=7004.0  It's stickied in the main forum and should have what you're looking for.

piercho

• Krill
Trying with pictures again....

Woo Hoo!!  So the Big John downrigger was selected as the smallest/lightest available that could spool 200+ feet, mount to the thick wood of the aft thwart and have the arm clear the stern.  A 9 pound ball is well behaved on the J-arm which dampens bob very well.  BUT the downrigger has proven to be a pain to fuss with, I do better direct weighting the line and mounting the rod in a holder forward of of the port oarlock.  I can row, adjust my rod, let out line, watch the rod tip, all from the center thwart.  I bungee the Hummingbird on the starboard side of the center thwart so the rod is to my right and I can glance left to monitor the flasher.

And so you see the "Wine Glass".  I purchased the carrier from Pygmy, as well, and the wheel-barrow sized balloon tires let me negotiate some pretty big obstacles.

The steep, high entry defends the bow when pushing into rough water.  BUT, as I said, the boat catches the wind and making headway in a strong breeze is tough.

I've powered the boat with a 40LB minn kota and it reaches hull speed (4-5 knots) at 3/4 throttle.  Unless the wind is cooperating some kind of power is needed to use the downrigger.  But its a lot less bother to leave the motor behind and just row, using banana weights or a dipsy to get down.  This weekend I hope to try a Honda 2.3 which has the only shaft tall enough for the 20" transom and weighs only 30 pounds, 1/2 the weight of my group 27 battery.

bigdood - JUST what I needed, thanks.  Know what you mean, I'm hankering to replace my old plastic yak with one of their kit yaks.  They just look KEWL and working with wood and glass helps mellow out my male menopause.

craig - The wherry was my first kit boat and I think it turned out.  Its hard to screw up stitch & glue if you have basic skills.  I did borrow a router to form the edges of the gunwale and a wire wrap tool to speed up the stitching but otherwise just basic tools were used.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Thats a beautiful boat you have there.

How much does it weigh? Have you gone out with 2 people in it and if so how does it handle?
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Nice wherry!

Do a search here.  You'll see we had an old member that was in that same boat.  His name was Pisko Sicko

-Allen

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Whoa. I've never seen a boat like that before. It's freaking beautiful!
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Beautiful boat! Put a sliding seat and some some foot braces and I'm in!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Beautiful boat! Put a sliding seat and some some foot braces and I'm in!

You might want to check out the boats that Gig Harbor Boat Works puts out. I lust after their 17' Jersey Skiff, but you Wherry lovers might like their 14' Whitehall better.

http://www.ghboats.com/boats/14-to-17-feet/14-whitehall/

I used to think I wanted to build a CLC kayak or Skerry, but I've realized I'm a buyer, not a builder. Gig Harbor's products are really beautiful. If I lived on Puget Sound, I would have that skiff.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

bigdood

• Lingcod
  • poormansheli
  • Date Registered: May 2009
LOVE IT piercho!  Any guess as to how many hours you've got into 'er?

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Beat me to it, Sherm. Want the same boat, with the outboard option. Priced it out a few years back, total package was right at $12K

Thinking their Melonseed might be more on the line of the Wherry but, ok. All good.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Plus add about 50% more oar length :D

.... Hell let's just put a rod holder on s racing shell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

piercho

• Krill
How much does it weigh? Have you gone out with 2 people in it and if so how does it handle?
  Pygmy says the standard boat weights out at 90 with no rigging.  At the time I got mine you could get an extra glass kit which I'm guessing pushed my weight up to 110 or so.  I weigh 200 and I've been out with an additional adult, no issues.  Two well behaved kids are no issue. 

Any guess as to how many hours you've got into 'er?
  Oh gosh.  I went wild with "little" extra projects like blowing foam under the center thwarts and bulkheading the bow and stern thwarts that wound up consuming many, many hours.  IF you're proficient and crafty you could probably complete the kit in the 90 hours Pygmy estimates.  If you're more like me multiply that number by 2 or 3 or......  The big thing for budgeting time is when you decide to glass the hull or the interior you need to set aside a whole weekend and keep laying down epoxy while the previous coat is still green.  Otherwise you will wind up in sanding hell and the boat will take much longer.

THANKS for all the kind replies.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
The big thing for budgeting time is when you decide to glass the hull or the interior you need to set aside a whole weekend and keep laying down epoxy while the previous coat is still green.  Otherwise you will wind up in sanding hell and the boat will take much longer.

But the sanding is the most fun part. ::)  Ain't nothing more fun than going through a ton of sand paper clogged with epoxy resin.  The first boat I built, I didn't know any better and just kept using the paper for far too long.  Now I know better and the sanding goes much quicker.  After going out yesterday with my friend I built a cedar strip kayak for, I have the itch to build another.  I couldn't keep up with him with the Outback.  I need a long lean paddling boat.  The Adventure works well, but the cedar strip boat is about half the weight.

anything