Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 05:18:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 04:19:26 PM]

[Today at 02:29:44 PM]

by jed
[Today at 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[Today at 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: North Beach Trip  (Read 4895 times)

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
  • Luv Life and Catch Huge Fish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
So I made it to the beach today with a friend...This friend of mineworks as a commercial crab fisherman and is somewhat oldschool when it comes to fishing...He thinks Kayak fishing is cool but you could never get him in one...So we brought the zodiac and my new OK Trident...hadnt gotten to use it much because I got it late last season...Its a bit barebones still but would do the beach trip just fine...
We launched about an hour before high slack on an absolutely gorgeous day both for seas and for skies...I paddled out of the river and began trolling the sandy bottom at 20 feet...There was 0 wind and small swells...After one hour I had lost one fish that I didnt even feel for long...So I was discouraged a bit...but my bud was skunked still to so I was par...lol...Once I hit about 45 feet I started to get some action...I lost another fish and some bait and then I nailed a 20 lber...

I was using a tandem hook system with some big herring...Basic I know but it works for me.. :)I try and stay just off bottom and occasionally bounce the bottom at slow trolling speeds...I had a bit of pause and then another 20+ lber...I had my bud pissed now cause he hadnt caught anything :)

He booked off to the depths because he was sick of my hassling him...I trolled out towards him and as I got close I nailed a bigger fish...47 incher...Not sure the weight but it was a nice fish...see for yourself :)

I heard they set a limit of one per day per license until june when its 2 a day...So I released the smallest one that was around 20 lbs and kept the two biggest for a feast I shall fry tomorrow :)

So I fished a bit longer and as I met up with buddy again he tells me he caught and landed a small bullhead...Not sure if thats even true...lol...I never saw it ;) So safe to say...Kayak Fishing ROCKS!!! and buddy if your reading this I have a spare yak for you anytime...Thanks for cleaning my fish :)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Those are some nice Hali's WWQCI, congrats. I know probably not hogs by QCI standards but nice by mine! ;) How big of a weight did you use to keep you rig down?

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Nicely done Jeff ... can't wait to get my butt up there.

47" puts it around 50#.  46" would be 46 pounds and 48 inches would be 52.8 pounds.

-Allen

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
I used an 8 ounce inline weight...Pretty basic and easy when your fishing shallow like that...Anything over 50# Im a happy dude...The average here are the size of the other ones...But still no 100 lber....Gonna get one soon though I cant feel it :) more pics

lol...Pass the cavier and patee...Dont I look so proper :)

I cant wait to take you out Allen...We will pound the momma butts out on the West coast...Should get a bunch of these sized ones... :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 09:53:20 AM by Water Wolf QCI »

• Date Registered: May 2006
Holy crow!  You did it again Jeff!  Way-ta-Go Man...

I have no doubt you'll catch that 100lb butt soon...lol  ;D 

Great photos, keep em coming

VP

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Wow!  Those are some nice butts.  Way to make it look easy!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Very nice, Jeff. Way to rub it in! ;)

BTW, are you getting ready for the summer heat? :P

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
lol...Easy...she sat there next to my yak looking at me a few times saying come on #$%hole ty and get me in...I normally have a lasso and a spear but I left it at my buds that I would be going out with...Relied on my friend to bring one...he shows up with nothing...So we had a chicken Hali net I use for twenty pounders and no gaff and no spear and no gun...lol..It wasnt easy...Learning as I go that the bigger halis will get you when you least expect it...so bring your gear...

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
lol...heat is just starting here....rub that in why dont ya :)
Im going out and finally being able to stick my bootie feet in the water :)Where are you again ? California or something :)

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
I'm in the US Okanogan, just south of the border.

The last of the snow in our yard finally melted out last week.

I had a haircut like that, when you were about....two. ::)

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
lol...lovin it...gotta love living so far from civilization that you can get away with the mohawk at 30 :)
Extreme is the middle name!!! lol
I bet you werent as cute as me at 2...lol
Was that back when Doctor Marten shoes first came out? lol
Oh I see your calling me on because your finally getting out of the snow shovelling...lol...got news for ya bud...lol...Theres more than 1 50# around these parts...lol...why dont you go icefish for a bluegill...lol
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 06:24:02 AM by Water Wolf QCI »

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
I think the main advantage of living on the fringes, is the easy access to the fat flatties.

Yeah, it was back when the squishy soled Docs came out, not that I could afford them, then.

I'll stick to the perch, since I'll earn more points with them. ;D

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
lol...Play the system eh...Smart dude...Definate plus livin in the middle of nowhere...thats why Im still here man...That and remote pay :)