Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:14:53 PM]

[Today at 08:59:01 PM]

[Today at 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Looking for kayak fishing guide/friend on Kauai  (Read 8869 times)

loreglas

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Check Craigslist Hawaii for guides and kayaks. By May the whales should be gone. Whales usually equal bad fishing.
Hobie Outback   Tarpon 120
9th place Brownlee Crappie Shootout 2017

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thank you everyone for your feedback! Good call on shore fishing and on Craigslist.

Merz, let me know how your timing looks (PM or whatever) and it would be fun if our paths crossed over there. I was the same way - "Huh? We're going to Hawaii for our anniversary? So... kayak fishing, then?"  :banjo: At this point it looks like I will be on Kauai the entire time.

Oh, and as far as the previous discussion about guides guaranteeing fish, I noticed this, a HI charter with a No Catch, No Charge policy (and I wasn't even looking for that):

http://guaranteedcatch.com/html/

and years ago there were several guides on the Columbia River that had no catch policies, as I recall it was a 25% or 50% towards a future trip or something like that (combo salmon/sturgeon trips). So it's not like it's unheard of. In my ever-so-humble opinion if you can't put a single fish in the boat for paying customers who are up for anything then you are a failure as a guide. That combined with the shared-catch policy just left a really sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Good guides will switch up tactics/locations to put something in the boat. Most customers understand that fishing isn't an exact science, and would be happy putting a chub in the boat rather than nothing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:01:32 AM by ketapatterns »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
In my ever-so-humble opinion if you can't put a single fish in the boat for paying customers who are up for anything then you are a failure as a guide. That combined with the shared-catch policy just left a really sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Good guides will switch up tactics/locations to put something in the boat. Most customers understand that fishing isn't an exact science, but at the end of the day putting a chub in the boat is better than nothing.

I think that is an unfair expectation on guides and unnecessarily harsh (failure, really?).

Let me present another view of the Hawaii fishing scene.  The catch-share policy is something that has been instilled in the culture for a very long time.  Keep in mind that there are tradeoffs.  In this case, the Hawaii charter rates are some of the lowest in the world, at least when it comes to big game fishing.  This is because their costs are offset by the commercial sale of the catch.  Most boats will at least send you home with enough fresh fish for dinner.

Regarding switching up tactics/locations, I would say that is something that needs to be made clear with a charter before it ever leaves the dock.  The Hawaii charter fishing scene is about targeting large big game species.  It's an entirely different game than other forms of fishing.  Most charters in Hawaii will only do big game trolling.  It's kind of like if you went out on a salmon charter on the coast.  You'll be targeting salmon for the day, and rarely does a charter switch off.

-Allen

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I'd be pissed if I paid for a salmon charter but we stopped fishing for salmon so someone's kid could catch a rockfish or flounder.
If you want guaranteed fish go to a trout pond and pay by the inch.

Sent from my Motorola Flip phone.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I'd be pissed if I paid for a salmon charter but we stopped fishing for salmon so someone's kid could catch a rockfish or flounder.

That's another excellent point.  If you're on a shared charter, the expectation of switching off may not be aligned with the goals of the other anglers.

-Allen

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
In my ever-so-humble opinion if you can't put a single fish in the boat for paying customers who are up for anything then you are a failure as a guide. That combined with the shared-catch policy just left a really sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Good guides will switch up tactics/locations to put something in the boat. Most customers understand that fishing isn't an exact science, but at the end of the day putting a chub in the boat is better than nothing.

I think that is an unfair expectation on guides and unnecessarily harsh (failure, really?).

Let me present another view of the Hawaii fishing scene.  The catch-share policy is something that has been instilled in the culture for a very long time.  Keep in mind that there are tradeoffs.  In this case, the Hawaii charter rates are some of the lowest in the world, at least when it comes to big game fishing.  This is because their costs are offset by the commercial sale of the catch.  Most boats will at least send you home with enough fresh fish for dinner.

Regarding switching up tactics/locations, I would say that is something that needs to be made clear with a charter before it ever leaves the dock.  The Hawaii charter fishing scene is about targeting large big game species.  It's an entirely different game than other forms of fishing.  Most charters in Hawaii will only do big game trolling.  It's kind of like if you went out on a salmon charter on the coast.  You'll be targeting salmon for the day, and rarely does a charter switch off.

-Allen

I completely agree that it's about expectation. I didn't sign on for a "catch a Marlin or nothing" trip, I had asked them specifically what they do if they can't find the big fish and they assured me they'd put me onto something. Instead we trolled for 8 hours straight without a single take-down, and so I essentially overpaid for a slow boat ride. It wasn't like there was 8 other people on the boat begging to keep doing nothing, either.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh. In my job (I work in software development) if I don't produce for my customers then they go elsewhere. At the end of the day, that's all that's happening here, except now I'm whining about it.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I completely agree that it's about expectation. I didn't sign on for a "catch a Marlin or nothing" trip, I had asked them specifically what they do if they can't find the big fish and they assured me they'd put me onto something. Instead we trolled for 8 hours straight without a single take-down, and so I essentially overpaid for a slow boat ride. It wasn't like there was 8 other people on the boat begging to keep doing nothing, either.

Well, understand that the same trolling technique is used for marlin, tuna, ono, and mahi.  It's the bread and butter fishing technique.  Assuring you they'd put you on something is entirely different than changing up tactics from the tried and true.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Anyways, back to kayak or shore fishing ... careful where you go.  There is still some amount of localism that goes on in Hawaii.  Ask around with the local resources in terms of where is safer and what to do, especially when straying from the more touristy areas.  And remember ... respect.

-Allen

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

Sent from my Motorola Flip phone.

Criminey you people take this stuff seriously. I guess I'm a really weird fisherman who likes to actually have fun. If I fish for something specific for 6 hours straight I guess I'd feel a little insane if I didn't try something new for a while. But your point is solid: You paid for a salmon charter for 8 hours, you damn well better be salmon fishing for 8 hours, I get it.

I guess this is why I rarely go on charters.

Anyway, I think that locals/semi-locals fishing a salmon charter off the coast is a very different situation (and thus expectation) than 3 tourists from thousands of miles away spending one of their precious vacation days in the hopes to have a fishing experience. But again, just me. And fwiw, I wasn't nearly as bent out of shape about it as the other customer on the boat.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Anyways, back to kayak or shore fishing ... careful where you go.  There is still some amount of localism that goes on in Hawaii.  Ask around with the local resources in terms of where is safer and what to do, especially when straying from the more touristy areas.  And remember ... respect.

-Allen

Duly noted, thank you for the advice. My sister lived on Kauai for 8 years and had the same advice.

• http://[img]http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/gallery/806_15_12_09_4_03_17.jpeg[/img]
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
There are a couple of outfitters/guides that also rent kayaks along the Na Pali coast on the north shore, but that's a one-way trip and you'd need a shuttle and/or a second car to pick you up at the end. That said, going out on your own if you're not familiar with the area is not a very great idea. The currents here are nothing to mess around with, esp. along the north/west shores of the islands. Your best bet would be to rent a kayak from one of the resort areas and paddle around inside protected bays and inside the fringing reefs. Plenty of small game action trolling a small yo-zuri or rapala plug in and around coral heads and reefs in nice protected areas. The blue water fishing is a whole other game, if you don't have someone with local knowledge with you I wouldn't recommend going out into the deep solo. Don't know of any kayak fishing guides on Kauai, there are a couple on Maui and Oahu, but none on Kauai that I know of.
Plenty of opportunity from the shore also, esp. if you're an early riser. If you can get out at first light, just about every inch of shoreline will have some chance a a decent fish or two. As far as the locals go, just be cool and you won't run into any problems. Respect, and give everybody their space and you'll do just fine. Pretty much if you can see anybody else fishing, you're too close. People are generally friendly, and are willing to give some advice if you ask.
The charter boat deal, just kind of is what it is. Been that way for a long time, and there isn't a whole lot of incentive to change it now. A lot of places down here have a mentality that repeat customers aren't a priority, there will be another plane load of people tomorrow so no need to worry about a dissatisfied customer or two cause there will be plenty more to take their place. Some boats will do bottom fishing trips for cheap, catching mostly triggerfish and other small bottom dwellers. Not a lot of trophies, but steady action if you're just looking for some fun fishing.
I don't live on Kauai, so not a lot of help on specific spots, but check out aquahunters for some tactics, also look up the Fishing Hawaii Style books by Jim Rizzutto for general info on shore fishing.
Pm if you need any more specifics, and good luck!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
There are a couple of outfitters/guides that also rent kayaks along the Na Pali coast on the north shore, but that's a one-way trip and you'd need a shuttle and/or a second car to pick you up at the end. That said, going out on your own if you're not familiar with the area is not a very great idea. The currents here are nothing to mess around with, esp. along the north/west shores of the islands. Your best bet would be to rent a kayak from one of the resort areas and paddle around inside protected bays and inside the fringing reefs. Plenty of small game action trolling a small yo-zuri or rapala plug in and around coral heads and reefs in nice protected areas. The blue water fishing is a whole other game, if you don't have someone with local knowledge with you I wouldn't recommend going out into the deep solo. Don't know of any kayak fishing guides on Kauai, there are a couple on Maui and Oahu, but none on Kauai that I know of.
Plenty of opportunity from the shore also, esp. if you're an early riser. If you can get out at first light, just about every inch of shoreline will have some chance a a decent fish or two. As far as the locals go, just be cool and you won't run into any problems. Respect, and give everybody their space and you'll do just fine. Pretty much if you can see anybody else fishing, you're too close. People are generally friendly, and are willing to give some advice if you ask.
The charter boat deal, just kind of is what it is. Been that way for a long time, and there isn't a whole lot of incentive to change it now. A lot of places down here have a mentality that repeat customers aren't a priority, there will be another plane load of people tomorrow so no need to worry about a dissatisfied customer or two cause there will be plenty more to take their place. Some boats will do bottom fishing trips for cheap, catching mostly triggerfish and other small bottom dwellers. Not a lot of trophies, but steady action if you're just looking for some fun fishing.
I don't live on Kauai, so not a lot of help on specific spots, but check out aquahunters for some tactics, also look up the Fishing Hawaii Style books by Jim Rizzutto for general info on shore fishing.
Pm if you need any more specifics, and good luck!

Thanks for the information and advice! I'm not planning on heading out past the reefs on my own; when I said "or someone to show me the ropes" what I meant is someone to go out fishing with me who isn't technically a licensed guide. I have kayaked nearshore on Kauai and am perfectly comfortable doing that myself, however I wouldn't get out to far into the big water without a local with me.

With my sister living there for a while I've gotten to talk to quite a few people who have done the Na Pali kayak trip on their own. Like every other ocean adventure it sounds to me like it's mostly research and common sense, and knowing your limits.

The perspective about repeat customers, etc. is interesting.

I have some work to do to understand fishing from shore there, thank you for the book recommendation. If nothing else lines up I can at least try that.

Thanks again!

Nick-

• Perch
  • (907)3417422
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
redbeard,
did you have any luck with the shore based fishing?

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
redbeard,

Long story short we never went on that trip (due to a wedding) and I haven't been back since. So, no.  :)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
redbeard,

I've done it. No trophy species for me but you can keep busy fishing with bait off the rocks. Bring some slip bobbers to keep from getting hung up and watch out for snorkelers.