Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Poll

Do you pedal or paddle

Pedal
Paddle
Both

Topic: How many of you paddle??  (Read 73676 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I paddled a trident 13 and loved it up until a few months back then I got a revo 13 and the advantages are incredible.

I pedaled a Revo 13 for a couple of years until the drawbacks and disadvantages became too much to put up with, replaced it with a Trident 13 and haven't looked back.  I'm probably one of the few who disliked a Hobie enough to get rid of one, but the 5% of the time when pedaling had any advantage for me never outweighed the other 95% of the time when it wasn't worth the PITA.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I paddled a trident 13 and loved it up until a few months back then I got a revo 13 and the advantages are incredible.

I pedaled a Revo 13 for a couple of years until the drawbacks and disadvantages became too much to put up with, replaced it with a Trident 13 and haven't looked back.  I'm probably one of the few who disliked a Hobie enough to get rid of one, but the 5% of the time when pedaling had any advantage for me never outweighed the other 95% of the time when it wasn't worth the PITA.
Interesting.  I think you're the first person I've heard of who went from a pedal-drive to a paddle kayak for non-medical reasons--usually it's the other way around.  If you don't mind me asking, what turned you off to the pedal system?
aMayesing Bros.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
If you don't mind me asking, what turned you off to the pedal system?

X2.  Curious about this.  Do spend most of you time running rivers?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't spend much time running the rivers - and I have (and have had) a Trident 11 for when I do.

The Hobie could get me to a fishing spot reasonably quickly - although I never outran surfs12foot* - but once I was there, it really didn't do me much good.  I had to pull out the paddle to hold position or make a sharp maneuver or back away from the rocks or get back out of a kelp bed...  Plus I gave up a huge amount of room I could have otherwise used, from my lap to my toes, to the Mirage drive, and even the MD180 drive and a reverse meant I'd still have give up all that space.

The Revo was amazingly stable and inspired confidence in rough conditions, but unless one trolls - and I don't - it had too many drawbacks for me.

I'm going to give kokanee fishing a try this year, so I may regret my decision.  We'll see.

* When passing across a hairy stretch of washing machine conditions, surfs12foot easily pulled away from me and left me and the Revo in the metaphorical dust.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:10:31 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Copy that.  I hear ya on the nimbleness of a paddle kayak, and kelp/weeds can be a PITA with a Mirage Drive.  I too would prefer a paddle kayak when fishing close to wash rocks and inside kelp beds.

Interestingly enough, the day I was sold on a Hobie was on a rockfishing trip.  There was a stiff drift pushing all of us paddle kayakers off the pinnacles, making for difficult fishing conditions.  But the Hobie guys simply pointed themselves into the current, and lazily pedaled to sit on top of the pinnacles.  They just crushed the fish.  Same situation with the wind: if the wind picked up, your day of rockfishing from a paddle kayak was basically over.  But the Hobie guys could keep on fishing, pedaling into the wind just enough to stay on top of the pinnacles.

Another factor that played into my decision was the ability to rip plugs.  Ripping plugs across the flats for big brown trout and smallmouth bass was one of my favorite springtime activities in the northern Sierras.  It's literally impossible to rip a plug while trolling from a paddle kayak.

I don't fish brown trout or bass up here on the Oregon coast, but I'm damn glad to have the Hobie for salmon trolling.  I can't imagine what a PITA it would be to troll these estuaries on a strong tide with only a paddle kayak.  Hats off to those of you who do!
aMayesing Bros.

G Bay

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
The Revo 13 is my Fishing Choice , For Pleasure  on the water with a Long Narrow Paddler  I will take any time, Just not Fishing.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I enjoy my Trident 4.3 very much. I have been in choppy water beside a Hobie, and I get much less splash as I paddle my as along. My wife asked if I wanted a different kayak, but no I don’t. Trolling and holding positions against current or wind would be the only time pedals would be that big of an advantage.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

surforegon

• Lingcod
  • cannonbeachartz.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Prowler Big Game 2, Hobie Outback,  Eddyline ultralite 12'               2016 junk jigs: Never seen that before. Second place.
2016 junk jigs: Most likely to be used as evidence in court. second place.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I really liked paddling my trident 13, great yak and I enjoy paddling for fun in other yaks. Have done multiple 40 miles a day in a sea kayak. Very nice to just be quiet and get a rythem. Can’t run anymore :-).
But in fishing Puget Sound it’s either tides, current, wind or all three you’re fighting all the time. While I really enjoy the challenge, there are times it’s just nice to be able to hold your place while holding a pole at the same time. Before deciding to switch to a hobie revo 13 I did some test peddling/paddling comparisons in the revo. Clearly I can peddle and hold a pole. But I can paddle the revo about the same speed I can the trident by just pushing the fins to the side of the hull and grabbing the paddle. So, I hope to be able to paddle as fast/far in the revo while having the option to peddle into the water flow to hold and jig vertically. Plus, I have a reasonably quick reverse, which was the straw that broke the tridents back. Best of both for me anyway...but there was a cost of real estate space due to the area consumed by the drive unit that I will have to figure out. Part of the game.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I really liked paddling my trident 13, great yak and I enjoy paddling for fun in other yaks. Have done multiple 40 miles a day in a sea kayak. Very nice to just be quiet and get a rythem. Can’t run anymore :-).
But in fishing Puget Sound it’s either tides, current, wind or all three you’re fighting all the time. While I really enjoy the challenge, there are times it’s just nice to be able to hold your place while holding a pole at the same time. Before deciding to switch to a hobie revo 13 I did some test peddling/paddling comparisons in the revo. Clearly I can peddle and hold a pole. But I can paddle the revo about the same speed I can the trident by just pushing the fins to the side of the hull and grabbing the paddle. So, I hope to be able to paddle as fast/far in the revo while having the option to peddle into the water flow to hold and jig vertically. Plus, I have a reasonably quick reverse, which was the straw that broke the tridents back. Best of both for me anyway...but there was a cost of real estate space due to the area consumed by the drive unit that I will have to figure out. Part of the game.
So are you going to change your forum name to "Revolution 13?"

I also have a 13' Trident and a 13' Revolution, and while the Trident is a great kayak, it mostly languishes in my garage because I prefer to fish from my Revolution.  During the last couple of weeks I've been jigging for lake trout with a friend who paddles a Trident.  I have a lot easier time staying stationary over the bottom, and I definitely wouldn't swap kayaks with him.  On the other hand, he has outfished me a couple of times, so the Trident isn't too much of a handicap.

I've found that adding a simple wind direction indicator to my kayak really helps me hold my kayak stationary over the bottom.  For a description of my wind direction indicator, see http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18212.msg195603#msg195603 .
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:35:04 PM by pmmpete »

Reel Drag

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
I prefer paddling. Love my Viking Profish Reload. I tried pedal and get why so many love it. Hands free, downriggers, staying on top of a spot, and trolling ease are all benefits of the pedal yak, but it takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. If I want to pedal, I ride my bike. On the water I want to paddle. Maybe if my rotator cuff ever gives out I’ll switch, but until then happy paddling.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
"If I want to pedal, I ride my bike. On the water I want to paddle."

That's my attitude, too.  Nothing against pedals, though.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I can't believe I've never responded to this thread.

Here are the reasons I paddle...

1.) I haven't found a pedal kayak with a decent surf-friendly hull
2.) I get plenty of pedal exercise on my daily bike commute to and from work.  So, I feel I need the upper body exercise that paddling provides.
3.) Pedal kayaks used to be heavier than paddle kayaks.  Recent paddle kayak models are also heavy and I'm not a fan (I really don't care if they Bubba the 400 lb bass angler feels stable or not)
4.) Having my paddle on my lap is a bit of a security blanket.. I'm always ready to brace for that rouge wave
5.) I can't justify the cost of a pedal kayak.   I can buy two or three really nice carbon fiber paddles for the price differential.
6.) I have a really nice paddle and yes it makes a difference.

That said there are a few times I wish I had a pedal kayak

1.) Trolling 360 flashers for salmon... those things pull too much to one side.  Maybe I just need a rudder to counter that.
2.) Any slow trolling that requires one to be right on the bottom and hands on the rod at all times (e.g. fishing prawn spinners for springers)
3.) Bottom fishing in strong wind or current and trying to stay above a particular spot.
4.) When I'm paddling against the current and my wife calls... I hate loosing ground because she keeps talking and won't let me hang up.  I'd should probably try and put her on speaker phone, but I'm guessing the wind would be an issue.  True story.... I'm paddling against the current to get back to my car... my wife calls and asks "How long until you're home?"  I respond 2 hrs (30 min paddle, 30 pack up, 1 hr drive).   She proceeds to talk about her day.   Finally, she says.. "So see you at 4" and I respond "Nope more like 5-5:30, I just lost a mile against a 2+ kt current while you were talking"

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I can't believe I've never responded to this thread.
+1
Both, now. I paddled a F&D for years. Just got an Outback in 2018.

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018

Trident 13, 

I'm well into my first fishing season with my 2012,  T13.  I'm extremely happy with this design.  The sleek hull,  light weight,  seaworthiness,  and easy paddling,  make it a pleasure on the water.  However,  I'm struggling to find a handy position for my rod holder.  As a moocher/jigger,  I need ready and quick access to my rod.  The aft integral mounts aren't usable (old back injuries make twisting around painful,  also can't see rod tip).  Have you any suggestions for a rod holder location,  that won't interfere with paddling  and keep my rod within easy reach?   Presently,  I have a Scotty rod holder mounted,  well forward,  on the mod pod (right behind the FF shield). 

Any ideas would help, 

kaz (Glen)
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14