Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: My first hulli/yard sale  (Read 7797 times)

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
It finally happened, and it came without much warning.
I wanted to take the shortcut back to Sunset and decided to cross over the sandbar at Squaw Island. As I approached the beach I paid close attention to see if the swell was breaking in the shallows. Everything looked good so I started heading in slowly. The surf was breaking right on the sandbar so I didn't expect any trouble. Then suddenly...a tiny little breaker sends me into the water.
When I popped up I immediately flipped my kayak and assessed the damage.
One Plano box full of jigs, GoPro monopod/flag pole, water bottle and 50lb spool of mono leader all floating in the surf zone. I'm still not sure how the other Plano boxes in my milk crate didn't dump. I was relieved to see that none of my three rods were broken.

I met up that day with a newbie kayak fishermen and one of the first things he asked me before we launched is if I had ever flipped my kayak. My reply "Not yet".
That bastard cursed me! Haha...

At the end of the video you can see the newbie paddling his ass off to get to shore.  ;D

1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Welcome to the club, nice vid.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  Ling Ling herro,

Good job on getting back upright. You were so close---yet so far away................

I have been there done that more times than I am willing to admit on an open forum. You were lucky that you didn't lose more stuff that you did.

Have to say something about the size of that monster wave.........or not,

I will be kind.......but keep the videos flowing. Gotta love a cool huli. Welcome to reality.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

• Chris
I'm not sure how it caught me like that. I'm glad it happened near the beach and not in open water. I've practiced for it but I would prefer it not to happen.
I know I'm not perfect and my clumsiness is always there to keep me level headed. I'm not sure there's much to learn from this. It's probably more for the laugh.
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Keep practicing.  It looks to me like the first thing you did was let go of your paddle with the left hand and reach down to the water with your right hand (instincts told you to do it).  Not saying you are a newbie, but this is a typical reaction of newbies is this sort of situation.  From this armchair   ::) , it looks like you may have been able to brace yourself out of that one.  Practice, practice, practice, until your instincts tell you to reach your paddle out and brace.

-Allen

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Any landing you can walk away from, right?  ;D

Thanks for showing the vid. For some reason I always like the "gopro underwater after huli" part of these type of videos. Mine just shows my landing net up close.

• Chris
Keep practicing.  It looks to me like the first thing you did was let go of your paddle with the left hand and reach down to the water with your right hand (instincts told you to do it).  Not saying you are a newbie, but this is a typical reaction of newbies is this sort of situation.  From this armchair   ::) , it looks like you may have been able to brace yourself out of that one.  Practice, practice, practice, until your instincts tell you to reach your paddle out and brace.

-Allen
I'm pretty green when it comes to surf launching. I've done a few in much bigger surf and I didn't have any problem. I'm definitely a newbie and it doesn't hurt my ego to admit that.
Looking back at the video I can make sense of what you're saying. I tried to brace but gave up and let it take me.
I'll find a spot that isn't so rocky and practice in the surf. It's definitely fun and it would prep me for launching out of PC which I fully intend on doing this year!

8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

micahgee

• Sturgeon
Not that it would have prevented you from flipping but you are holding your paddle upside down lingling, the wider part of the blade should be above the smaller part  ;)

Playing in the surf is a great way to practice bracing and such, not to mention its a lot of fun (and exercise). Thigh straps really help you stay locked in to the hull too.

“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

• Chris
Not that it would have prevented you from flipping but you are holding your paddle upside down lingling, the wider part of the blade should be above the smaller part  ;)

Playing in the surf is a great way to practice bracing and such, not to mention its a lot of fun (and exercise). Thigh straps really help you stay locked in to the hull too.
Well that's embarrassing!  I have honestly never paid any attention to that before. I guess that shows you how much I actually use my paddle. Thanks for pointing that out haha.
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:47:48 AM by demonick »
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Whitewater kayaking is a great way to pick up basic kayaking skills such as the low brace, the high brace, front surfing, and side surfing. When running a rapid, you may be bracing to some extent every couple of seconds, so these skills quickly become second nature.  If Ling Ling Herro had those skills, when he unexpectedly got hit by the little breaker, he would have instinctively braced to stay upright, and then either ruddered and paddled forward to front surf on the breaker, let himself turn sidewise and braced into the pile to side surf, or back paddled to let the breaker go past him. And Micahgee is right, thigh straps really help you handle a paddle kayak in rough water.

But to start whitewater kayaking, you'd need to buy a whitewater kayak, learn to roll it, live someplace where there are whitewater rivers to run, and spend time whitewater kayaking.  And many kayak fishermen aren't interested in running whitewater, and/or don't want to buy a bunch of new equipment. 

Does anybody have suggestions about how to learn these kayaking skills in a fishing kayak on the ocean or on a lake?  When learning those skills, you're going to get dumped in the water occasionally.  You can't really learn those skills unless you're paddling in situations where you could get dumped in the water.  One suggestion is to learn those skills in an empty kayak, so you don't need to deal with a whole bunch of fishing gear when righting and re-entering your kayak.  Another suggestion is to learn those skills when other kayakers are around to help you if necessary.

And here's a way to practice bracing:  If you find yourself in quick steep waves, turn sidewise to the waves, and put your paddle in the water on the side from which the waves are approaching.  As the first wave reaches you, push down on the power (concave) face of your paddle. This is called a high brace, because your paddle shaft is above your arm.  As the next wave reaches you, roll the paddle over and push down on the back (convex) side of the paddle.  This is called a low brace, because your paddle shaft is below your arm.  Keep repeating these motions, moving your paddle in a sculling motion from power face to back face.  Lean into the incoming waves, put your weight on the buttock which is on the side the waves are coming from, and put a lot of weight on your paddle.  Keep your elbows close to your sides, and keep your paddle shaft low on your ribcage.  Then turn your kayak 180 degrees and practice the same thing on the other side of your kayak, so you learn to brace equally well on either side.  High and low braces can provide you with tremendous support and stability, even in big breaking waves.  They are like the railing next to a flight of stairs.  If you trip on the stairs, you can grab the railing.  If you get tipped off-balance by a wave, you can instantly do a high or low brace to stabilize yourself.

One Plano box full of jigs, GoPro monopod/flag pole, water bottle and 50lb spool of mono leader all floating in the surf zone. I'm still not sure how the other Plano boxes in my milk crate didn't dump. I was relieved to see that none of my three rods were broken.
Also, any time you're out in your kayak, your kayak could end up upside down, and you could end up in the water.  So any gear which you don't want to lose should either be attached to your kayak or have floatation.  And preferably attached to your kayak, because if conditions are interesting enough to flip you over, those conditions may interfere with swimming or paddling around recovering various items of loose floating gear.  Attach a snap clip to your water bottle so you can clip it to something on your kayak.  Put a bungie cord over the lure boxes in your milk crate.  Put the spool of mono inside something.  And so on.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:30:06 PM by pmmpete »

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

All good points Pete,

New and od hands alike should read this a couple of times then go PRACTICE and PRACTICE some more.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Here's a short video which shows whitewater kayakers doing a lot of bracing.  It demonstrates the great stability which you can gain by bracing, and has a lot of cool overhead views, apparently obtained with some kind of video drone.

Dirk1730

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I think they need a rudder and some peddles. They werent carring a straight line at all. All of the paddling and fighting the current is going to make them way to tired to fish.
BETTER TO HAVE A BROKEN BONE, THAN A BROKEN SPIRIT.

AlfonsoVisaya

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Having keeled over myself in surf, and having the need to try surfing in with my Outback, I read and re-read Pete's advice and finally decided to take his kayak vocabulary and search it out on youtube.  I found the best video was up top for the search and watched it a few times.  I live on the Olympic Peninsula and while I haven't dared to venture out beyond the waves with my Outback (because it is a pig in the surf unless you're REAL good), my kids have gone out all over the place in a couple of Ocean Kayak Frenzys.  So...I got myself an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 to see if I could do the same as what my kids do in the Frenzys.  Anyway, Pete's advice, the youtube video , and the empirical school of thought, I will start on the small surf as it comes in before attempting the larger waves as well as a loaded fishing 'yak.  I also read over the lost gear forum, having contributed to that same topic myself under another DAMHIK article like the above-mentioned experience.  My family has castigated me for my bloody snafus in my Outback, but let us remain...ever...undaunted.  The youtube vid...