Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:36:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: nwka noob! I need some advice.  (Read 5790 times)

snichols442

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I would like to give it a try this sunday north of Seattle. Any suggestions or good links for a first timer? Maybe rockfish? I have kayaked and fished before but never at the same time. :-)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Not my locale but good luck to you! Bottom fishing is a great first trip.  The more simple you can make it, beyond the basic stuff, the more fun you will have.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
fyi - i believe that most bottom fishing (including rockfish) is closed everywhere in the sound right now.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Welcome.

Flounder are open year round (in all of the Puget Sound except for MA 12 aka Hood Canal) and are generally easy to catch on small jigs, jigheads with swimbaits etc. Jigging off the bottom is all that is required, very simple.

A 1 oz jighead and a Gulp! grub is what we use with great success during Heroes on the Water events. Some folks like to use dropshot rigs as well. 

Good luck
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

If this will be your very 1st time combining kayaks and fishing you might want to Keep It Simple Stupid .

I don't say this to you personally snichols442. Just that you may consider whether you want to start out comfortable and catching fish you are familiar with (whatever that may be). or make it more challenging to yourself by going into a more foreign environment .You have to make that decision yourself.

Some folks like to plunge into this stuff headfirst without "testing the water". All of us here promote safety above all else. "No fish is worth your life" kinda stuff. Hope you have your act together.

Go out and have fun......... and always take pictures . We all love to share..... :o
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

snichols442

• Krill
Thanks for the advice! I will keep you posted. I am from the east coast and rock fish was my usual target. I was not expecting a closure... Maybe I will find what is in season and go from there?

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Thanks for the advice! I will keep you posted. I am from the east coast and rock fish was my usual target. I was not expecting a closure... Maybe I will find what is in season and go from there?

Wahsington's fishing regulations are extremely complicated.  I suggest you find a lawyer who likes to kayak fish and take him/her with you.   :laugh:

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

Welcome to the site!

Any chance you're from Maryland or Virginia?   Rockfish out here on the West Coast might not be the same as the rockfish (a.k.a striped bass) you might be thinking of from the Chesapeake Bay area.  West Coast rockfish are actually a group of about 40 different species that come in a variety of colors.   There are some striped bass that have been introduced to the West Coast and they occasionally show up in places like the Columbia River.  The nearest place I know of that has any active fishery for them is the Umpqua River and nearby Coos River about 2/3 the way down the Oregon coast.

Striped Bass 

Rockfish

Our saltwater fishing tends to focus on two main groups... bottom fish (rockfish, lingcod, cabezon, halibut, flounder) and salmon (Chinook, coho, sockeye, chum, pink, steelhead). 

Oh, and like Spot said.. good luck with those Washington fishing regulations.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

snichols442

• Krill
No I am from Ma. Tautog and scup was always easy pickings from rock formations. I will see if I can find some pictures.

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
yea man, switching from east coast to west coast is a whole other ball game, forget almost everything you know, or think you know about fishing, latch on to some people who have got it down and absorb every bit of info they give you.  it will not be easy, its worse than starting at zero, and will be frustrating, but with time and A LOT of patience, you will get it.  be glad there is a community like NWKA with members who are more than willing to share what they know with you and fairly often where to go to do it. 
Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

snichols442

• Krill

snichols442

• Krill
Btw never had much luck trolling for blues or stripers back east. Thought i could do some surf casting out here. That does not seem to even exist?

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Thanks for the photos.   I lived on Long Island for grad school and caught tautog a few times.   Live green crabs always worked well for me.   I also did well kayak fishing for stripers and bluefish back in the mid-90's.   I trolled mostly plastic stickbaits like slugg-Os along the surface when the menhadded "bunker" where in (usually July).   In fact, I started kayak fishing using a friend's sea kayak because I couldn't quite cast far enough out to the striped bass and bluefish busting bait on the surface near my house. 

I also spent time in Maryland and got confused by everyone calling stripers "Rockfish". 

Surf casting does exist on the West Coast but mostly for surfperch and some people manage to get rockfish from jetties and rocky headlands using surf casting techniques.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

snichols442

• Krill
So if i wanted to troll for something in the sound this weekend what should I do?

micahgee

• Sturgeon
So if i wanted to troll for something in the sound this weekend what should I do?

If you haven't already, take a look at the fishing regulations for the area you will be fishing. Yes its a bit confusing, feel free to ask if anything is unclear.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01590/wdfw01590.pdf

Considering you never have kayak-fished before, I would reccomend jigging for flounder (no minimum size and you can keep 15) as a first saltwater fishing trip...its productive and simple, see my previous post.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

anything