Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:39:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:10:08 AM]

by Doug
[Today at 06:48:19 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[April 17, 2024, 03:57:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: nwka noob! I need some advice.  (Read 5788 times)

snichols442

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
start small with trolling too, go to your local lake and troll for trout.  you can find what works best for you and adjust your set up when the stakes are low and the fish come fairly easy, build up your confidence before you take on the bear of salmon trolling.
Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

JamesC

• Lingcod
  • 2012 Hobie Revo 13 - Gray
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
All fishermen are liars except you and me
(and sometimes I wonder about you).
-Anonymous

snichols442

• Krill
They both bottom caught fish. Sea worms for scup, green crabs for tautog for bait mostly. Sometimes catch two scup at once on a good day, then its a good fight! Both are tasty, tautog is better imho. Its a rockfish. Scup school so when you hit them you get a lot. :-).

snichols442

• Krill
On that note how is flounder? I am not sure I have ever eaten one.....

Freeze

• Herring
Snichols442 - did you ever decide where you are going.  I have never kayaked yet but have 2 new ones sitting in my garage.  Will try them out this Saturday maybe Friday evening too.  Plan is Birch Bay.  Going to drop a few crab pots and drop lines in the water.  I see in the regs salmon is open.  Never fished for salmon before and it may be the wrong time of the year but I'll try.  Need to start somehere.  I signed up for the salmon classic so need practice.  That's where I'll be with the wife who is also newbie at this.  In the past we did crabbing in an infaltable up there.  Crabbing is usually good.   

snichols442

• Krill
Cool. What kind of crabs do you get? A cage trap or one of those fold flat ones? Sun will be the day for me but I have not decide where yet. I will google Birch bay.

Freeze

• Herring
Dungeness and rock.  Rock is not the goal but their ok.  I live in Burien but were going to be up there for something else.  Hope to get a spot for the trailer at Birch Bay State Park tonight if not we will be at the general parking bright and early in the morning.  Maybe stay over night at Bellingham Walmart or any place we can find

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Cool. What kind of crabs do you get? A cage trap or one of those fold flat ones? Sun will be the day for me but I have not decide where yet. I will google Birch bay.

Birch Bay is almost up to the Canadian border.  Another 3-4 hrs past Seattle depending on traffic, could be more.  Something to consider too, this is Seafair in Seattle, and they have a lot of road closures off and on for the airshows and construction, so traffic will be more insane than usual.

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

snichols442

• Krill
Yeah 2 hours for me. Lummi is closer. That is reservation land dies that change anything? ( I wonder)

Freeze

• Herring
yeap, been there a few times. Guess we will drive late to aviod the traffic.  I can come back late Sat have a run with my West Seattle running group Sunday morning.  Expensive trip (gas) for one day but I spent a lot off money these last two weeks need to get the revolutions in the water.  Plus, my wife has a friend up there that will visit her.

Thinking about the flounder, looks easier than salmon - on youtube

mcdc1369

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I'm thinking on going to saltwater state park to launch and practice some salmon fishing as I am new to salt water fishing I have dine some flounder and ling cod this year so now it's time for salmon

anything