Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:26:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: dropper loop trouble  (Read 9330 times)

crabbycabby

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I've lost several larger fish due to knots breaking at my dropper loop while jigging for bottom fish.  I like running 3 hooks - one large swimbait for lings/cabs, and two shrimp fly/squid for blacks.  Is the dropper loop the standard knot you guys use for this, and any trouble with line breaks on large fish?  At 1st I thought I had a bad spool of leader, but this is my 2nd spool with same problem.  1st was 25# fluorocarbon and 2nd spool is 25# mono.

I've considered going with 3 way swivels - but that's a lot of gear to snag.  And I certainly would not rule out my lack of finesse as the cause. 
Native Slayer 13 propel
Malibu Stealth 14

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
do you lube your knot before tightening?  It's important not to get friction or strain on the line when tying that knot.  Consider going up to 30lb?  You could also consider tying Surgeon Knot loops instead of the Dropper Loop -- maybe you strain the line just by the way you tighten it.  Here's an alternate to your dropper setup: Used for Pompano    Good Luck.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I personally prefer double over hand knots aka slip knots. I have never had one come out I have broke them but never had them untied. Are you wetting the mono before pulling it tight believe it or not the knot can produce enough heat to compromise the line just my $0.02

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I hate dropper loops, no matter what kind.  Whenever I uses them, and they do have their place, I work it like I'm using line that is 1/2 the breaking strength.  So I fish 40 pounds like like it is 20.

-Allen

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I like using 80 and 130 pound leader for bottom fish dropper loops .... When I'm targeting halibut I step up 200-400 pound mono

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
+1 on the higher test for dropper loops. 

I use 20# mono for my main line, and minimum 50# mono for droppers, and upwards of 100#.  Not only does this thicker mono bring the line strength closer to remaining as strong as the 20# main, it is also stiffer than the main and doesn't get as tangled up when not loaded with weight. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
It is that reason that made me stop using dropper loops all together and only use a jig instead of a jig and one or two dropper loops.  I found it was easier to just catch fish one at a time than deal with losing my entire setup because my dropper loop hook snagged up.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Nangusdog

• Lingcod
  • Live to fish, fish to live
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
I use a dropper loop almost exclusively when bottom fishing to keep my hook out of the rocks but also use a surgeons knot and heavy mono (I like 40 lb)...I've caught some pretty big fish off them and never lost one to a failed knot but I check my rig often to ensure it's not getting nicked up.

Here's a video I made showing my setup:

Gordon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7QYFPLqHbdZIJblTDhgAuQ

Hobie Outback x2 (for fishing)
WS Tsunami 140 (for paddling, wishing I were fishing)
Old Town Dirigo 120 (for rivers)

• Date Registered: Oct 2009

crabbycabby

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Thanks for the feedback.  Looks like I'll be dialing up the poundage and giving the surgeons knot a go.  Might even consider running two rods, one rigged for blacks when the FF is marking them, and one for lings/cab with just a jig when all I see on the FF are rocks.
Native Slayer 13 propel
Malibu Stealth 14

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
+1 on the higher test for dropper loops. 

I use 20# mono for my main line, and minimum 50# mono for droppers, and upwards of 100#.  Not only does this thicker mono bring the line strength closer to remaining as strong as the 20# main, it is also stiffer than the main and doesn't get as tangled up when not loaded with weight.

+2. I run 50# mono leader on all my setups now (with 30# mainline and a 20# "weak link" at the top of the leader). If I have dropper loops on them I treat them like 20#. I did some tests in my living room one night, and they were not scientific, but when pressure was applied quickly I felt that all dropper loop styles (I tested traditional, overhand, and kiwi-style) broke at about half strength. They are significantly stronger if pressure is applied gently (this is how most tests are conducted, but not how most fish fight).

I'll throw this out, though, similarly to rawkfish's comment: why bother with the droppers? Do you really hook up double that often? I rarely use my dropper rigs anymore as I catch plenty of rockfish with the same jigs I use for lingcod and cabezon. The exception for me are the kelp beds; if I'm dropping right beside kelp I've found the black rockfish like the shrimp flies or other small, shrimpy offerings better than the fat jigs. YMMV.

uplandsandpiper

How in the world are u breaking off 50# mono from a kayak when you snag the reef? I run 40# and I have to put everything into it to break it off.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
How in the world are u breaking off 50# mono from a kayak when you snag the reef? I run 40# and I have to put everything into it to break it off.
I paddle my boat , have you tried breaking it with your legs ? :banjo:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

Me? See my comment - I run a 20# "weak link" stretch at the top of my leader. For my setup it's the perfect "I can pull it hard but I can break it off as needed" test. When I snag up on the reef I can usually get my jig back by going back over where I snagged. When I can't, 90% of the time my weak link breaks, and I pull up my mainline, loop a new pre-tied leader onto my swivel, and I'm fishing again in 2 minutes.

I consider myself a light gear fisherman compared to average in the salt, and so the 50# leader may seem like overkill. I've found that the target species are not leader-shy at all, and it makes a nice handle when lingcod swallow my jigs.

Edit: If anyone is curious, my general rockfish setup is, from jig to mainline:

jig/bait > clinch knot > 3 feet of 50lb. mono > albright knot > 1 foot of 20lb. mono > surgeon's loop > heavy stainless swivel > surgeon's loop > 30# braid mainline
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:47:17 AM by Captain Redbeard »

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Has anyone tried the "long liners" knot to make  droppers instead of loops?

Also, what's the secret on keeping double droppers from tangling  around each other or the mainstem of the leader? Have tried more distance between the legs and also shortening one leg but still get wrapped up. Even tried varying the rate of drop on the way down and that didn't work too well either.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:10:51 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

anything