Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: dropper loop trouble  (Read 9356 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Has anyone tried the "long liners" knot to make  droppers instead of loops?

Also, what's the secret on keeping double droppers from tangling  around each other or the mainstem of the leader? Have tried more distance between the legs and also shortening one leg but still get wrapped up. Even tried varying the rate of drop on the way down and that didn't work too well either.

I haven't tried that knot.

I haven't had too much trouble with tangles on my double-droppers. I usually tie the loops with nothing on them, then slip the shrimp flies, etc. onto the loop, so it's just pressure keeping them on, but it makes them stick out from the leader pretty good. This is with fairly stiff 50lb. mono. For finesse applications I use 10lb. flouro and I use palomar knots, which holds the hook close to the leader.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I tried experimenting with the Prusik knot a few years ago in my off season, but never got around to actually using it on the water.  If I remember correctly (a search here might yield something), mono to mono seamed to work, but braid to anything was too slick.

The idea was that I could make up a handful off pre-tied loops of line that could be added to my main line in the form of a Prusik knot at any time, a hook added to this portable loop, and adjusted easily up or down my line as needed.  For the most part the harder it is pulled on, the harder it gripped where it was located on the mainline.  If it slipped, it would just slide down to the main jig at the end of the line. 

On the flip side.....I too, rarely use anything more than one rig per rod at a time anymore.  Mostly because I am not in a big hurry to catch a limit of fish.  With my past dropper loop setups, I don't remember ever having a one fail on me as I use less drag and thumb the spool when yarding up a big fish. 

With that said, I am fully on board with Ndogg and Bluewrx02, and really like the Barbie poles for all bottom fish in 60 feet of water or less (mostly due to spool capacity).  Bluewrx02 pulled in a 35" (14 lb) Lingcod on his Barbie pole,and I a 34.5" (14 lb ) Lingcod on my Tinkerbell pole up at Hobuck last week.   Then proceeded to yard in several other big fish of different denominations each day we were out there. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Jewbacca

• Plankton
  • I was told there would be cake...
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I'm new to the group, so forgive me if I just don't get it, but is the Barbie pole thing an inside joke or personal challenge or something? Either way, I think it's awesome.
Perception Sport Access 11.5

I fish so other people don't have to deal with me.

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Barbie poles are a PNW secret wepaon. Most old salts dont leave home without them.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I'm new to the group, so forgive me if I just don't get it, but is the Barbie pole thing an inside joke or personal challenge or something? Either way, I think it's awesome.

It is a sub-category at the Oregon Rockfish Classic (ORC).  Biggest fish caught on a kiddie pole won the pot of money kicked in by the entrants.  Some have not only won that prize but have placed highly in the regular competition with the same fish.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
This year, the craze is the Princess rod.  They were sold out when I went to get one.

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
It is that reason that made me stop using dropper loops all together and only use a jig instead of a jig and one or two dropper loops.  I found it was easier to just catch fish one at a time than deal with losing my entire setup because my dropper loop hook snagged up.
+1

better to big or go home...

Ha. Plus I bring an extra rod for smaller jig rigs.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Princess rod?

I use a double surgeons knot for two hook setups - no jigs - and make the working end the end closest to the pole (makes a "Y" shape).  Keeping the working end pointing up seems to keep the second hook from tangling with the leader when casting.  Not sure it would be any help if I used jig heads, but it works well with hook and bait.

Berkley makes a three way swivel that's T-shaped instead of the typical Y-shape.  Only used them on white bass runs but they tangled a lot less when tossing light two-jig rigs a long ways, and the T-shape slipped through weeds much better than the Y-shape.

Princess rod?  I can't keep up...

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Princess rod?

Princess rod?  I can't keep up...

I'm just jigging your hook, Kevin!  There's no such thing as a "princess" rod, but with all the merchandising that has come along with the movie "Frozen"..oh wait, lookie here:  'http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Princess-Lighted-2-Feet-6-Inch/dp/B003D5VN3C  (am I allowed to link to amazon?  :police:)

Good Luck with the ORC and some good strong knots!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

No, seriously!  These little rods make it a freaking blast to catch anything on them. 
They actually have just enough backbone to yard up a big ling, cabby and any rockfish. 
It's easy enough to carry a few spares, as they do have some weaknesses here and there. 
So, just peel off the factory 2lb mono and spool up with 15-30# braid.  Tie on a single lure of anything from 1/8th ounce to a full 8 ounces.  Jig away! 

They can even cast pretty dang far too! 

The biggest bonuses is that they can be stored below deck very easily for surf launches, and they are usually under $20, so carrying a few is not an issue.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'm just jigging your hook, Kevin!  There's no such thing as a "princess" rod, but with all the merchandising that has come along with the movie "Frozen"..oh wait, lookie here:  'http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Princess-Lighted-2-Feet-6-Inch/dp/B003D5VN3C  (am I allowed to link to amazon?  :police:)

Good Luck with the ORC and some good strong knots!

Now that's a rod!

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Now here is a successful Barbie Pole....... ;D
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
No ORC category for a Spiderman kit?  They're under $10...