Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 01:50:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:46:59 PM]

[Today at 09:19:09 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: River Fishing  (Read 12580 times)

HUNTINHICK

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I have been thinking about the pontoons for a bit and I am thinking if I am going to do it it will be this one
http://www.steelheader.com/images/guide/guide_toppg.jpg

I like there other models also but I want a casting/standing deck the other one I like is http://www.badcatriverboats.com/1738145.html

I want rugged!  I break things so I want a over built boat for running rivers.  I live about 10 minutes from the skokomish, about 45 minutes from the wynoochie well you get the point I have rivers all over to fish.  I was thinking about a 2 wheel trailer with bike wheels hooked to the bike.  maybe deflate the pontoons throw your gear on and peddle back up.  at least until queen turns 16

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Here's an idea I had...use the drift boat oars as a trailer frame to haul most of your gear with you behind your bike. This would involve rigging a hitch, as well as a small set of mounted trailer wheels, with brackets or sockets on either side that you could plug your oars into. Your gear gets lashed to the oars, and you may even have panniers on your bike and be wearing a small pack. Your gear riding with you is safe from thieves, and your boat is chained to a tree, bare.
In other word, everything either stays with you or is chained to a tree. This sounds like quite a hassle, to tell the truth. There are only very few spots where i would do this, anyway, and I would need to get a cheap mt. bike, as well.

Oh yeh, I just had a 3-watt bulb light up in the ol noggin ... a single wheel might work for this, with oars mounted on either side. The hitch bracket (on the bike end of the oars) could easily be designed to handle this. Hmmmm.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:53:54 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
honestly, i like the ideas of pontoons, and have seen some sweet deals on some that i consider really nice in the local stores,  but the more i think about it, the more i want something that can carry more than just me, so can i take someone else along.. which has been leading me more towards a canoe or tandem. and, since i'm a bit rough on things, i've been looking more and more at the mad river adventrue series, probabbly the 14 footer. have seen the 16 @ the local joe's, but it just seemed too damn large for what i want.. though i'll probably kick myself for not going to the larger one when i'm on a lake some day and need the abilities of a larger boat when the water turns a bit rough.  :-\

still, for portability and the other reasons, i'm thinking the small 'toon boats are gonna be ideal..have seen lots of drift boats, like several models, especially one called a headhunter skiff, but i think some makers put way too many things sticking up in them, mostly called "casting braces".. would just prefer a plain flat floor with lots of storage and room to cast without having to worry about my back casts hanging on what ever is behind me. plus, drifters need trailers, and i'm trying to avoid that. i just do not feel comfortable backing down a boat ramp in my truck.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

armyjim

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I know up here, catarafts are very popular, especially on some of the class 1 - 2 rivers like the Little Su and even the Kenai. I see guys with the little one-man cats all the time. I'd like to say I've tried my inflatable kayak, but I've gotten so wrapped up in my plastic boat this year, I haven't been on the river yet, but the Silvers are coming soon...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...
Teach a man to fish and he will sit at his miserable job all day wishing he was fishing...

Therickers

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Hi all, I am new to this forum.  Here is a picture album of my fishing kayak.  I anchored this rig in a pretty fast current once and I must admit it was a bit sketchy.  I use this boat for lake trolling and river float fishing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rickersnumber1/PimpedOutRide?authkey=-8033Hi8OJQ

Scott

• Lingcod
  • High Desert Fun
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I would like to add my experience to this .  I had worked on the Deschutes River for several years as a young person, very lucky.  My job required almost weekly three day float trips.  I usually manned a Riken self-bailer and generally had a good load on board.  i had the option of using a drift boat but preferred the forgiving (and silent) raft.  I ran the river from the Rainbow Launch (Warm Springs Res/Hwy 26) to the mouth.  This truly was a dream job, and it was some wild times!

I remember watching some guys in fly-fishing pontoons come down the Deschutes at the head of Buckskin Mary (III) Rapid.  I pointed them out saying those guys are gonna flip.  I was shocked at the how they bobbed right through without incident.  I then went down to see how they navigated Wapanita Rapids, more technical.  Same deal, no action just bobbed right through.  These were early pontoons from my experience, only 7ft.   I don't remember if they took Boxcar, I'm pretty sure they portaged.

Anyway, I was impressed. 

Now I really like to float the John Day- usally from Twickenham (or Priest Hole) to Clarno.  Depending on water flow you only have I, II, and barely a class III rapid to nav.  I make three days out of a two day float for more fishing time.  My boat inventory consists of driftboat, canoe, sit-inside two person kayak, 8ft pontoon, and the new to me 14 ft sit-on-top Emotion.  I have others, but they have motors. 

You never can have too many boats, you only can have too few places to hide them.

The kayak keel on the river causes me to fight the current.  I need to go faster than the currents to keep a line.  The driftboat is cumbersome for one person, but can carry the gear.  The canoe is fun, because it is a real challenge to run rapids in.  I just don't like draining the water or unsecuring everything to right it if/when I capsize.  The pontoon is really simple, but you have to pack carefully for overnight.  I tried to flip my first pontoon on purpose, in a lake.  Couldn't do it.   

So far the best for fishing in the river for me is the pontoon.  It is safe, quick with a current, and easy to anchor.  It's a very stable platform to cast from.  A single quality drybag can stow all I need without a gear boat following.  Three fully assembled pontoons can be stacked in an 8ft pick-up bed.   

The rear deck on mine did require a very easy frame extension.  My daughter likes to lay down on the back while on the lakes and needed more leg room.  The inflated pontoons have not failed yet.  The factory oar locks issued generally are poor, and they will fail.  Purchase quality locks and keep the old ones as spares.

I think the deciding factor in choosing a larger pontoon over a drift boat is storage vs longevity vs cost.  A large pontoon in cost over a used driftboat would make it hard for me to chose the pontoon.  I would prefer it though.  I like the idea of two kayaks put together with a frame.  You could still use the kayaks individually and have the gear capacity option a frame provides.  Scupper holes would make great strap anchor points for an oar frame, and a motor mount -geez. 

I like the pontoon in the river, it's manueverable in rapids and based on the weight capacity I can safely add my 40lb. of overnight necessity.  I don't like the pontoon on a lake because it is very slow compared to yaks and others.  Bellyboats are not boats (sorry).  I think it will always come down to comfort and safety.  Comfort makes any trip enjoyable.  I like to be warm, dry and eating food.         

My only regret is not having more time to be on the water, and putting off that next boat purchase!  Get a quality 8ft and have some more fun on the waterways.   

-Scott

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Awesome post, Scott. Thanks for all that input!
I've been thinking of getting a pontoon myself, but the guys I know who run rivers on the Olympic Peninsula recommend getting 9' pontoons. They tell me that they are more river worthy than an 8 footer. But I see a lot of guys running some of the rivers in 8 footers, even cheap Costco ones. I've been warned to avoid the cheap ones, though.
I would be selling my 10' Don Hill Mini-drifter. Its a 9'6" small drift boat that I have to trailer. Its a fun little boat, and quite river worthy, but I could haul the pontoon on my Mazda truck. Main issue is having to hire a shuttle, or go with a buddy and drive two rigs.
ConeHeadMuddler

SBD

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Howdy!  New here but not new to the madness.  I built the first drift rig at NCKA and I have now been drift yakking for a few years.  I have found it to be super effective and efficient in low gradient rivers or just targeting holes in steeper sections.  That said, it flows pretty good right by my house and I regularly anchor in water fast enough to work plugs etc. and I have put fish in the boat doing it.

The real key is finding a yak that rides good on the hook...some do, some DON'T.  My latest is a Trident 11 and it is excellent on the hook. My T-11 has been fishy. Other good anchor boats I have tried include Malibu Mini X and X-factors.

There is no real substitute for a drift boat though, so I just boat a Koffler pram and look forward to playing with it this winter.  But don't under estimate what you can do with yaks when it comes to steelies and Chinook.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Hey Sean ... welcome!!! It sure would be nice for you to post up on your November river fun for the Chinooks.  A great story by all accounts!!!

-Allen

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have had a drift boat, and a bad cat 10ft pontoon. Used the drift boat for years, got tired of the shuttle issue, and the oregon coastal rivers are more crowded every year.. Sold the drift boat and bought the pontoon, it allowed me to fish higher in the systems and get away from all but the rafts and other tooners. I loved it But, Since it only seats one, my buddies would have to get one too if they want to fish with me, since they are not cheap, and my buddies are, this has not happened, and I ended up fishing alone. It was a great platform and is safe and easy to row. I would recommend a large toon any day.  I loaned mine to our retired neighbor at the coast, he uses it all winter long on the wilson river, his very nice wife is his shuttle, drops him off in the am and picks him up when he calls at the end of his drift, lucky guy.

SBD

• Perch
I am on the slipper slope now.  I picked up my pram today.

olddog22202

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Am facing the same challenges of some of you. Am finding the SOT is not portable with a tiny motor home.  Am giving the Water Strider a hard look and plan to check it out next summer while in MT ....... 17#, will do larger rapids than I want to be in and is very portable ...watcha think?  http://www.waterstrider.com/
Mike

SBD

• Perch
That looks pretty ingenious, and could fill the gap nicely. 

On the other hand, I couldn't find a single person on the site wearing a PFD though so apparently the customers on the site aren't nearly as smart as the designer.  Who in the @#$%^ would run a Class III in a rubber donut in waders with no PFD...that is asking for trouble!

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I think this might just fit the bill. Packs away quite nicely.

I'm gonna be getting one of these soon and rig it to be my river runner.

Although the video is ultra cheesy it does show how stable of a yak it is.
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/video/Hobie_Inflatables_Hi.wmv

Z
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:28:32 PM by Zeelander »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

SBD

• Perch
I am sure that will work if I can do it in a smaller, less stable rigid SOT.  I started pimpin' my pram tonight.  Hope to be OTW by next Friday.