Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:37:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Portland Crew Roll Call  (Read 120852 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Just for fun I've added a column for your kayak(s) description so that people can learn to recognize you on the water better. If you want to share which kayak you paddle let me know and I'll update the table.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
olive green OK Big Game for me...
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Yellow Trident 13

Brian

Knobby

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Handle: Knobby
Boat: Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100

Just registered today.  Mainly a trout, bass guy.  Willing to learn the bigger fish stuff!

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
Welcome Knobby, your in a good place for expanding your Yak fishin horizons. The Portland area is well represented here. Many opportunities for learning the big fish stuff...
See ya on the water..
Roy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Handle: Knobby
Boat: Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100

Just registered today.  Mainly a trout, bass guy.  Willing to learn the bigger fish stuff!

Welcome to the madness/cure!  Don't be shy about asking questions. 
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Welcome Knobby,

I live a couple miles away at most in the Woodstock neighborhood.  I like bass and trout also, but it sounds like we'll have to work on getting you into some of the "bigger fish stuff".

Brian

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
My kayak is a sand colored Future Beach Angler 160 DLX.

AkDave

• Krill
Is Tampa Bay Florida close enough. I just found this site today, this fall we moved to Lafayette from Wasilla AK after 24 years. We will be in FL enjoying the warm weather until April, then we will be working a the KOA in Lincoln City for the summer. I have a camo trident 13. I'm looking forward to doing lots of fishing when I get back to Or. I hope to meet some of you when I get back.
Dave

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Welcome Dave,

Sounds like you'll get a lot of ocean time in this summer with your job at the KOA.  Hope I can get out there and join you for some rockfish fishing.

Brian

AkDave

• Krill
Hey, Brian thanks for the reply. I spent all my teen years working on charter boats out of coos bay. I'm not that familiar with fishing spots on the north coast, so I'll be looking for some info when I get back.
Thanks
Dave

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
Hey Dave, welcome to NWKA. Great bunch of guys here. If your ever planning to get down to Coos Bay when your back here let me know, we'll go fishing at Sunset bay.

See ya on the water..
Roy

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Derek - Tigard - Camo OK Trident 13. (Hey, I was told I'd have the only one)!
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Knobby

• Herring
Welcome Knobby,

I live a couple miles away at most in the Woodstock neighborhood.  I like bass and trout also, but it sounds like we'll have to work on getting you into some of the "bigger fish stuff".

Brian

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I ended up driving and grabbing Jim's OK T-11 on Saturday (Thanks Jim!) in not quite harbor buoy mango.  I also finally got around to installing some Yakima bars on the truck canopy and I think I'm ready to roll.  I've been eyeballing the stocking schedules and such late at night, chompin' at the bit.  Hey, I'm ready to learn the bigger fish stuff.

TXPaddler

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
First Posting on a forum ever! I moved to Portland from Dallas, Texas about five years ago. While in Texas I had just started kayak fishing some of the lakes as well as the Gulf. Mainly a fly fisherman, but do have some spinning gear. I have a 13 foot Wilderness System Ride with one rod holder mounted on it (bad placement). Anyhow, I have been looking for a site like this since I moved up here as I am Totally unsure about gear, places, and ways to fish for some of the bigger NW species. On a couple of recon trips to some of the fishing stores I did not feel like they had any idea about kayak fishing (may have just got a few bad associates). Anyhow, I have been reading the posting religiously for the last week and am now really excited to get going again.

So a few questions here, anyone have any opinions about the WS Ride for fishing?

What would be the bare essentials to get started with? Am kinda poor right now and need to be very careful about rushing out to buy all new equipment. Plus, I am getting married in June so most money is going towards that right now.

What species would I have the most success pursuing as a newbie (Least clever or most plentiful fish.)

I work at REI (Downtown) and notice on one of the recent treads that REI in Seattle hosted a kayak fishing presentation. I could make some inquiries about using our meeting space. No Promises but it's worth asking if you'll have interest.   
“When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem”

anything