Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:17:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: California in April/May  (Read 2874 times)

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I'll be headed down to Cali (near Morrow Bay) in the near future and was wondering if anyone knows of good spots to fish, places to rent a yak, or where not to fish.

I tried to sign up to NCKA a while back so I could ask some questions, but couldn't get logged in.

Thanks
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
What issue did you have an NCKA.  I may happen to know the admin there.   ::)

Also, check out Central Coast Kayak Fishing.  That area is central to their region.  You'll get a bunch of feedback from those guys.

How long you going to be here?  Will have you have a car capable of carrying kayak.  I'm a few hours to the north of there, but we could hook up.

-Allen

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
I'll be down for 2 weeks, but only have the weekends open for fishing.  I have a friend who has a camper at Morrow Bay, so I was thinking about fishing there, but I'm open to other locations if there are better spots.

The NCKA thing, I tried to sign up and waited for confirmation email so I could log in but never received it.  Used the same screen name.  I can try again.  I may need to get on there for some diving tips if I really think I'm going to try spearfishing up here.

Thanks for the heads up about CCKA.  I'll have to check it out.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC

garrett805

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
Check out Cambria just a bit north of Morro Bay, specifically the primitive boat launch on Moonstone Drive.  It's an awesome little launch spot and great rockfish/lingcod just a half a mile out.  I fished there for years when I went to school at SLO.  Another good spot is Spooners Cove in Montana de Oro state park.  Parking right down on the beach and you drag your kayak in the sand and launch in a nice big cove.  Outstanding rockfishing all around.

There are kayak rentals in Morro Bay and possibly Cayucas.  I would say don't fish in the actual Morro Bay.  Nothing there, you have to paddle outside.

Lastly, you should bring your surf perch gear too.  Some of the best perch fishing all up and down the coast, specifically Sandspit beach within Montana de Oro park.  State record was caught there. 

Have fun, I miss that area!

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
Check out Cambria just a bit north of Morro Bay, specifically the primitive boat launch on Moonstone Drive.  It's an awesome little launch spot and great rockfish/lingcod just a half a mile out.  I fished there for years when I went to school at SLO.  Another good spot is Spooners Cove in Montana de Oro state park.  Parking right down on the beach and you drag your kayak in the sand and launch in a nice big cove.  Outstanding rockfishing all around.

There are kayak rentals in Morro Bay and possibly Cayucas.  I would say don't fish in the actual Morro Bay.  Nothing there, you have to paddle outside.

Lastly, you should bring your surf perch gear too.  Some of the best perch fishing all up and down the coast, specifically Sandspit beach within Montana de Oro park.  State record was caught there. 

Have fun, I miss that area!

Thanks a ton for the info!!!

9th place 2014 ORC