Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:08:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Salt-water fly reels?  (Read 3399 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
What is your favorite salt-water fly reel?

I've decided that I want to use the next reel I get in both fresh- and salt-water.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I go with a cheaper reel and wash it thoroughly after use. Cabela's licenses stuff from Daiwa and Okuma at a lower price point. I go with Redington since they're local. The Path reel is what I use. http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/path/
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I go with a cheaper reel and wash it thoroughly after use. Cabela's licenses stuff from Daiwa and Okuma at a lower price point. I go with Redington since they're local. The Path reel is what I use. http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/path/

Thank you.  I have two Redington rods, but never think of Redington reels.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:20:49 PM by Tinker »

• Date Registered: Aug 2012
Read the reviews on the Hardy DD series of reels. I picked up one for my 8wt to compliment my Redington, and liked it so much I bought another for my 6wt rod. Awesome salt water reels at a good price...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Read the reviews on the Hardy DD series of reels. I picked up one for my 8wt to compliment my Redington, and liked it so much I bought another for my 6wt rod. Awesome salt water reels at a good price...

Yeah, and they're pretty, too.  I've been thinking about the Hardy DD and the Ross Animas (if they ever release the larger sizes).

What I'm finding as I started this search is that it's hard to find information about using reels in saltwater.  Sure, there are the very spendy reels that are designed specifically for saltwater use, but trying to find information about how more general-use reels stand up to sea water is like trying to decipher classified information hidden behind 1024-bit encryption.

I appreciate hearing about reels people have actually used and with which you have first-hand experience.  Thank you!

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I just buy a cheaper one every year and always carry at least one spare. That way there expendable. Of course I don use a fly reel so what do I know?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:26:01 PM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

mtom938

• Rockfish
  • OK Trident T13 Camo w/ HB 597 HD DI Combo
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
My Okuma of choice.  A bit spendy compared to the PACE; definitely NOT a disposable.   :banjo:
"I am haunted by waters...."      -Norman MacLean

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I just buy a cheaper one every year and always carry at least one spare. That way there expendable. Of course I don use a fly reel so what do I know?

I do that, too - not on fly reels, since I only have one at the moment (and it is definitely a budget-friendly reel) - but I'm starting to ask myself how many years of buying a cheap reel does it take to have spent more than what one decent reel would have cost?  Where'd I put my calculator..?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
My Okuma of choice.  A bit spendy compared to the PACE; definitely NOT a disposable.   :banjo:

I see that this is a tough question to answer.  One of the things that most concerns me is the type of stainless steel being used in saltwater reels by any and all manufacturers, since the 300-series of stainless steel (the most common type) readily pits in saltwater, and 304 (70% of all stainless steel) rapidly corrodes in saltwater.

And that leaves me wondering if replacing a reel at short intervals makes sense.

When I use any reel in saltwater, I drop the reel in a small bucket of water and Salt-A-Way during the drive home, and then rinse them thoroughly when I get home.  So far, it's working on my spinning and casting gear.  Maybe it works with fly reels, too, although I wonder what it would do to the fly line.

Thanks for the suggestion.  People seem to like the Helios fly reels, and the Cedros seems to be as well made.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

I do that, too - not on fly reels, since I only have one at the moment (and it is definitely a budget-friendly reel) - but I'm starting to ask myself how many years of buying a cheap reel does it take to have spent more than what one decent reel would have cost?  Where'd I put my calculator..?

I'm too hard on my gear I would still probably need a new one every 3 or so years from breaking it so I'm happy with the cheaper ones for now.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Combat Vet

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'm too hard on my gear I would still probably need a new one every 3 or so years from breaking it so I'm happy with the cheaper ones for now.

;D

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Here is a place for great reasonably priced reel in PC  http://www.pacificcityflyfishing.com/fly-fishing-tackle---prices.html

Thank you.  Craig's List and eBay have been my shopping center and every new clue helps.