Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: A slice of Hawaii  (Read 6177 times)

crackergraham

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Hey fellas.... just wanted to send out a little trip report on my first outing in Hawaii.  Been reading and you tubing hawaii yak fishing for months now and finally took my first trip out yesterday.  I rented a 2015 Outback from P & P in Kailua-Kona.  Those guys are super helpful and have, what I consider, very reasonable rates for a week rental.  Big Mahalo to them.  I packed up a mobile FF setup, a threaded rod harpoon (they call them Kage's over here)... THANKS YakTrap for making me some killer oak handles (literal use intended), PFD,VHF, two jigging/trolling big game rods, a release SG, penn battle 6500, a salmon rod w/ a shimano level wind and a stiff bass rod for reef and baitfish (which I plan to go for tomorrow).  It was kinda a lot to pack, but even if I don't catch another fish in the next 7 days, it's worth it. 

I was extremely lucky to get into two Mahi Mahi on my first trip out.  Woke up at 5:30am, hit the water at sunrise and was back to the shore by 10am.  The first thing I have to say about the first fish was  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!  It was the first time I've heard that sound, coming from my own reel, not a youtube video... and it is an amazing AMAZING rush.  The next thing I need to say about that Mahi.... is AIR SHOW.  It was spectacular! 
After reeling it in, harpooning it, and bringing it into the boat, it was a euphoric feeling.... enhanced by the fact that a huge whale swam by about 100 yards away (close enough, but far enough to not feel nervous).  Snapped a few photos, texted my family pointed my face at the morning sun and just smiled.  Then there was number two.

The euphoria ended abruptly while fighting with the second Mahi.  Not quite the same strike... more of a zzz zzzzzzz.  But I let him run with it for awhile before ratcheting up my level drag.  Once I did, it must have turned and ran straight at me because I could't keep up with the slack (luckily, I later found out that he completely engulfed my bait rig and wasn't coming off for anything.... well almost anything).  He was quick to the boat, but once he saw the boat, he put some fight in and made a couple decent runs.  In working him back to the boat at third time, something triggered this fish.  As I'm turning my yak to keep him on my left my rod tip goes nuts and the zzzz'a become ZZZZZZZZZZZ's!  This fish went bonkers.  Out of curiosity, I decide to look down into the bluest blue water you can imagine and see something eerie in the water about 15' below my yak.  The first thing I can say about this moment, Instant Terror.  For the more seasoned warm water guys, I'm sure this is pretty common, but for a new guy.... who just got his first yak in October of 2014, and was on his first trip out in the ocean... this scared me good.... as good as it scared the Mahi into that run.  Somehow I actually caught video of this moment and you can see the shape in the water.  I don't claim to know what it was.  But my imagination sure got my heart pumping and adrenaline coursing through me.  I'll post the video below and you can tell me what you think.  Trying to remain calm at this point, decided to pedal away a bit...  reeled the fish in, not quite ready.... takes another good run.  Reeling in the fifth time it feels like he's coming up and ready to lay on his side.... you know.... the perfect time for your brand new rod to snap!  Okay, lets try to hand line the last few feet and get this thing stabbed.  You know... the perfect time for your terminal tackle to get stuck in the bandaid on your right pointer finger.... got it off the the bandaid only to coincide with a nice head jerk.... terminal tackle now in finger.... oh crap.... please don't run, please don't run, please don't run.  Thankfully, this fish was spent.  I dislodge the coast snap of the hyper swivel from my finger and pull him alongside of the boat, sent my harpoon downward... right through the gills.  Blood.  Everywhere.  Instant recall of unidentified object in water 10 minutes prior..... Git it int the boat brah!   I throw it over my lap and start moving... pedaling, and laying into it with wood.... just wanting to knock it out and dilute the thick blood pool in my mirage drive well.  Get about 200 yards, cut my mainline, throw the mahi in back.  strap it down and pedal back to shore, legs and fingers covered in blood.  WOW. 

I'm still shaking my head.  Yesterday evening I went to bed wondering if I have the nerve to head back out.  This morning, I'm checking the forecast.  Enjoy the photos.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:26:40 PM by crackergraham »
--—•—--
2nd Place 2015 Salmon Slayride
6th Place 2015 AOTY
5th Place 2016 AOTY
--—•—--

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks for sharing nice job on the new territory fishing. I love the Hawaiian immersion gear and "I think your going to need a bigger boat" as well as a bigger fish cold bag.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Yah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice!!! I bet it was a blast and some mighty good eating!!!  Thanks for sharing!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Excellent report! It almost felt like I was there. Looks like you had an amazing first trip out.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
That's AMAZING!  What an incredible adventure with success.  How did that Mahi taste?? Mmm, wish I was in Hawaii  :banjo:

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
That's awesome.  Thanks for sharing the stoke.  How far off shore did you go to find the Mahi?  Bait or lure?

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Damn, congratulations and thanks for the write up! We were in Kauai last month and we probably killed one mahi....from the grocery store ;D.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Great work!! You've now encouraged me to quit my job, sell my home, & adopt a slower island lifestyle. Fresh Dorado is excellent & so buttery, Bon appetite!
Keep'em coming.

If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

crackergraham

• Rockfish
Oh man... THAT fish bag in the back hatch of a rental SUV?  Thats another story for another time! lol

The fish tastes awesome. I'm eating well, and making a lot of friends in the condo complex:) Grilled it with oil salt pepper and lemon, topped it with a pineapple jalapeño salsa last night.  Tomorrow the plan is for a nice Ponzu sauce.  I told my wife if one day she up and bought a house in Hawaii without telling me, that I wouldn't be mad.

I went out about 2 miles, trolled dead bait.

Do video's attach the same way photos do?  or do I need to post to You Tube and attach a link.  Hoping to post at the higher resolution so you can see the shape in the water better.  The lower res on FB didn't show it well enough.  Thanks for the help.

--—•—--
6th Place 2015 AOTY
5th Place 2016 AOTY
--—•—--

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Oh Hell Yeah!  That is one heck of a fish story!!!
What more could a travelling kayak angler ask for?

Thanks for sharing your stoke!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Great fish and great story! Love the blue in those pics - until you see really deep and clear tropical ocean water, you don't know what deep blue means...
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

Yaktrap

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Nice way to put some cure on that oak.

Post videos to YouTube then just copy the link. But get back out and get more fish, the uploading can wait. Fishing time is precious.
Sponsors:
Werner Paddles, RAM Mounts and Kokatat Waterwear

AOTY wins: 2013 (2049 points), 2015 (2026 points)

• Date Registered: Jan 2015
Awesome report. I love the big island. We go around Thanksgiving and I was able to rent a kayak for $25/day there (off season) last time. Heaven...

The day before I was fishing last thanksgiving, a guy in Maui had his legs hanging over the kayak and a shark bit one off, he died before he could get to shore. I found myself catching myself from doing the same thing. 

I had fish on a stringer over the side, tied to the kayak, and heard a rippling sound right behind me. Turned around to see a shark fin 10' behind me coming fast, right at the fish, I reached back and flung the fish into the boat with seconds to spare. Woulda rolled me cause it was tied to the side.

What were you using for bait?

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Great report.  Looks like you're having fun over there.  A great time of year to go when fishing is slow here.

crackergraham

• Rockfish
Awesome report. I love the big island. We go around Thanksgiving and I was able to rent a kayak for $25/day there (off season) last time. Heaven...

The day before I was fishing last thanksgiving, a guy in Maui had his legs hanging over the kayak and a shark bit one off, he died before he could get to shore. I found myself catching myself from doing the same thing. 

I had fish on a stringer over the side, tied to the kayak, and heard a rippling sound right behind me. Turned around to see a shark fin 10' behind me coming fast, right at the fish, I reached back and flung the fish into the boat with seconds to spare. Woulda rolled me cause it was tied to the side.

What were you using for bait?

Yeah, I heard about that attack.  Tiger shark.  A guy got bit up north at beach 69 a few days ago.  He was in 4' of water.  Definitely won't be hanging my limbs over the edge... And most definitely won't be using my stringer:). Glad you avoided that catastrophe.

I was dragging around a couple lucky dead opelu's.

Nice way to put some cure on that oak.

Post videos to YouTube then just copy the link. But get back out and get more fish, the uploading can wait. Fishing time is precious.

I hear ya.  Daughters are in bed by 7:30 so maybe I'll get to the video, if not, I'll figure it out when I get back.  Will keep posting photos on this thread if I am lucky enough to catch more fish.
Lightweight gear on the reef tomorrow.  Gonna try out a dropper rig with lead head  and curly tail on bottom and a couple shrimp flies above... See what that stirs up.  Will also try trolling some plastic minnows with a heavier rod. 

--—•—--
6th Place 2015 AOTY
5th Place 2016 AOTY
--—•—--