Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Smoked Trout Recipies?  (Read 3394 times)

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I went to Lake Shoecraft the other day and caught another limit of rainbows. I want to smoke it, but have very limited experience. Anyone have a good Smoked Trout recipe? I'm going to be using my brother in laws electric smoker.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I treat my trout like little salmon when it comes to smoking.   Just shorten the brining and smoking times for the smaller fish.

That said, the following post has lots of good recipes for smoking fish..
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=11209.0

I'm partial to the "Dead Nutz" recipe from Ron "Pelagic" Sauber's recipe found in Rory's post in that thread.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The Bradley Smoker Forum, http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/ , has a lot of good information about smoking fish in the “Recipes-Fish” section.  And a good way to venture into the wonderful world of smoking fish is by trying Kummok’s recipe at the top of the forum for Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon, which is at http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0 . It's an excellent recipe, and works as well for trout as it does for salmon.

When you prepare a batch of smoking brine, the first thing you need to do is to calculate the quantities of all the ingredients to produce the quantity of brine which you want.  To simplify this process, I have put Kummok’s brine recipe and several other favorite recipes on an Excel spreadsheet.  All I need to do is enter the number of cups of brine which I want and hit “tab”, and the spreadsheet calculates all of the quantities.  If you send me a personal message with your e-mail address, I’ll e-mail this spreadsheet to you. I may also have an e-mail sitting in my e-mail archives in which I explained to a friend how to smoke fish, which I could send you.

A caution:  There is a certain amount of trial and error involved in learning how long to soak a particular kind and size of fish in a particular brine recipe.  Start by following the instructions in the recipe, and take notes about how long you soak and smoke the fish.  If the fish ends up too salty or not salty enough for your taste, don't be discouraged.  Adjust the soaking time the next time you try the recipe.  After a couple of tries, you can reliably produce very tasty smoked fish.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:15:08 PM by pmmpete »

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I treat my trout like little salmon when it comes to smoking.   Just shorten the brining and smoking times for the smaller fish.

That said, the following post has lots of good recipes for smoking fish..
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=11209.0

I'm partial to the "Dead Nutz" recipe from Ron "Pelagic" Sauber's recipe found in Rory's post in that thread.

Yup! Dead Nutz is the way to go.  It is phenomenal on tuna, as well as salmon, kokanee and trout. I am eating some right now. Delicious!

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Thanks! That gives me somewhere to start. I've caught more trout in the last month with my revo then I've caught in the last ten years  ;D

Doc Miller

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Ditto for appropriating the salmon technique.  I smoked up about half a dozen for mothers' day, and I swear they were better than smoked salmon.   
Plan your work, and work your plan.

anything