Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:11:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Video Ads won't let me scroll  (Read 4280 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I'm having problems with certain video based ads that show up the site while viewing from on my Desktop computer.  The ad block between the "User Area" and the "Recent Topics".    Most ads here are fine, but I about every 5th ad is from Starbucks, Home Depot, and few others that runs as a video.

The ads themselves are fine, but they won't let me scroll down to read posts.  I end up refreshing the page several times until it rotates to a regular ad or flash ad.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Somebody could chase this down but would need to know which browser and kind of computer you use.  And are you using any script or cookie blockers?

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I just started having this problem as well.   IE 11, Windows 7. no blockers. It's a PITA.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Same thing is happening to me lately.  Locked me up twice today and it is causing IE 11 to constantly tell me that only secured content will be displayed - which isn't the real problem since NWKA forums are not an https secured site.

These video ads are a PITA everywhere.  The load they're putting on my GPU has it running warm and they are trying to insert third-party cookies which I do not allow.

Are they earning extra $$?  If not, losing them would be a great late Christmas present.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
We use Google Ads here.  They are not supposed to launch video automatically, rather they launch on "roll over".  You need to hover for like 2 seconds before they activate.  If you are seeing behavior other than this, it is unexpected.   Can you try to identify the add if you are seeing behavior other than expected?  Either send the URL or a screenshot.  Thanks.

-Allen

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'll try, Allen.  When I'm searching through older posts - like I was yesterday - I'll see a topic that might be related to what I'm hunting for and open it in a new tab while I keep searching.  That's when it gets really quirky.

In fact, with only this page/tab open, a Mercedes Benz video ad running between "User Area" and "Recent Topics" just locked my system after the Mercedes ad ended but before a static, US Cellular ad loaded.

I'll try to use standard privacy/security settings and see if it happens because I'm blocking third-party cookies because this laptop has more than enough computing power to run ads and not burp because of them.  I'll let you know if that makes a difference.

Thanks for getting back to me.

ADDED:  Same ad just did it again as the Flash video ended with IE 11 set to default privacy and security settings.  I'll watch to see if the only ads that lock me up are Flash videos.

ADDED:  It's the Mercedes ad.  None of the other video ads lock me up.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 03:45:46 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Guys, support for Flash is,ending or has ended, by the large carriers. Too many security holes, and afight over property rights, is what I read back in October. 

I have the same issue on my Note 4 running Chrome over Sprint. The Sprint techs claim its server farm related. I wanna put on my tinfoil hat and say its NSA  related, but who knows... :dontknow:
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
We use Google Ads here.  They are not supposed to launch video automatically, rather they launch on "roll over".  You need to hover for like 2 seconds before they activate.  If you are seeing behavior other than this, it is unexpected.   Can you try to identify the add if you are seeing behavior other than expected?  Either send the URL or a screenshot.  Thanks.

-Allen
The site definitely has an autoplay video ad often showing in the left 300x250 adcall where Brian mentioned. It's using flash to stream multiple advertisers through your .js adcall so the roll-over function is bypassed. They appear to be behaviorally targeted as well. Definite resource hogs because they're constantly loading their content from multiple ad servers based on the browser's cookies.
Check your account for recent high bidders, maybe that will help find it.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks guys.  I'm tweaking some settings, let's see what happens.
-Allen

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
This is a bit for the technically advanced.  If you use HTTP Switchboard in the Chrome browser, you can selectively block (blacklist) or allow (whitelist) sites, either globally or selectively by domain.  FWIW it can be a PIA to tune.

I've never seen an ad in the left column, likely because I blacklisted googlesyndication.com (cookies, scripts, plugins, frames, XHR, css, etc...)

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks guys.  I'm tweaking some settings, let's see what happens.
-Allen

Are you guys still encountering this issue?

-Allen

anything