Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:00:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: World Predator Classic Kayak Open Report  (Read 3238 times)

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Just got back from the World Predator Classic Kayak Open in Hellevoetsluis, Holland. The WPC was a 3 part tournament, the main event being the Pro boats, then the Kayak open, and a one day street fishing event.  I fished with Brad Smudzinski, an American also currently living in Germany, as part of Team USA, and was sponsored by RAM Mounts.  The day before the tournament was the opening ceremonies which included a boat parade and a flag parade. 

the first day of fishing there was a slight breeze blowing, good conditions overall.  had a lot of big pike follow spinnerbaits off of weedbeds but none wanted to commit, a little frustrating to say the least.  after 8 hours of fishing I blanked and Brad caught a 45 cm perch. 

day two was hot and windless.  I caught a 37 cm perch within the first hour and had another fish on, but lost it.  after that nothing for the rest of the day. 

day three we needed  to have the day of our lives to make it into the top ten.   it was blowing hard and there were big wind waves, lots of whitecapping.  we went big and pushed far out to the ends of the fishing zone, trying something different from the past two days, and it paid off.  Brad caught three Zander (walleye) and I caught another perch and an 86 cm Pike, the largest fish caught from a kayak during the entire tournament.  there was no big fish prize, but the bragging rights are still there.  it was pretty cool to land a big pike right at the end, especially being the first pike I've caught in Europe. 

I placed 18th overall, and 6th on day three, with the largest kayak caught fish, not bad for only really fishing here for less than a month.  there were 33 competitors, all but two had Hobies.  the majority of the guys competing were Hobie pro staff with a lot of experience with this type of fishing.  The guy who won the kayak open, Daniel Van Der Post was from that area and had the home field advantage.  it showed.  Overall it was a great experience and a good way to start my kayak fishing in the European theatre. 

you can't quite see it in this pic, but I am totally rocking my NWKA sweatshirt, and was wearing it for my stage call for the biggest kayak caught fish.   
Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Way to go, Fil!
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Sweet!! Great job!!!  It's just a lottery when fishing is good. It's a real win when you can do what ya did when it's not only new but tough!  Congrats!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com