Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:06:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Seadoo fishing  (Read 7618 times)

salemite

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I'm tired of doing yard work on the weekends because the ocean is too rough or the winds are too strong or the tides are not right.   I also can't afford a boat capable of safely getting me into the ocean, where I love to fish.  So what do you think of using a Seadoo for fishing?  I haven't been able to find much information or many products on line, is there a reason for that?  What are your thoughts?  I don't need anything fancy like the one in this picture, but the ability to carry more gear, go further faster and get out on days that are not suitable for a kayak, appeal to me.  What do you think of this??

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
It's actually really common on the east coast, and I've been hearing about a guy doing it out of westport on the regular now.  I've been considering it as well.

cdat

I know there is a group out of So Calif that go tuna fishing off sea doos or other types. Some great vids on You tube, looks to be pretty fun.
John

salemite

• Rockfish
I've been watching them on craigslist for a while and they are a lot less than what I was expecting.  I'm just tired of being side lined by rough conditions and the thought of being able to go further, faster and safer are appealing. 

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
go to YouTube and check out matthew dornin and Matthew Huntington. They fish off of SeaDoos out of Netarts, Depoe Bay, and Nehalem.

Watching the videos, I wouldn't say that they can handle rougher water, but they can handle surf better by running back & forth along sets and taking advantage of the low spots. And they can cover a lot of water quickly when conditions permit.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
go to YouTube and check out matthew dornin and Matthew Huntington. They fish off of SeaDoos out of Netarts, Depoe Bay, and Nehalem.

Watching the videos, I wouldn't say that they can handle rougher water, but they can handle surf better by running back & forth along sets and taking advantage of the low spots. And they can cover a lot of water quickly when conditions permit.

Yeah, not sure I'd go on a Seadoo when it's a no-go on a kayak.  Only exception to that might be wind since you're not having to physically paddle/pedal against it.  But stiff wind usually also means choppy seas so it'll be a small minority of windy days that it's otherwise calm enough.
2012 ORC 5th Place

AKFISHRIPPER

• Lingcod
  • Slaying fish and taking names
  • AlaskaKayakAnglers/ A.K.A
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Jet skis are awesome for fishing, the only downside is usually they require a launch ramp

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!

Yeah, not sure I'd go on a Seadoo when it's a no-go on a kayak.  Only exception to that might be wind since you're not having to physically paddle/pedal against it.  But stiff wind usually also means choppy seas so it'll be a small minority of windy days that it's otherwise calm enough.
They make deep V versions with 260HP. They laugh at large swells and wind.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

They make deep V versions with 260HP. They laugh at large swells and wind.

Doesn't mean I would be comfortable with that. :puke:
2012 ORC 5th Place

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Based on the videos that I have seen........ that would be an absolute blast.

My main concern would be having mechanical problems if you were way offshore. Then what do you do ???
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Based on the videos that I have seen........ that would be an absolute blast.

My main concern would be having mechanical problems if you were way offshore. Then what do you do ???

I was thinking the same thing.  Guess it is one of those things where you need to get your fishing buddies enthused enough to also make the same purchase.   Safety in numbers and make certain someone packed a tow rope.

I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

salemite

• Rockfish
What do you think about carrying an extra battery and small electric trolling motor?   Wouldn't be necessary if you were going with others.

salemite

• Rockfish
Anyone interested should check out the videos that Sherminator recommended,  they are awesome.   Two guys from Oregon that use seadoos to get out to the tuna.   Looks like a blast, I see two kayaks for sale in my near future.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
There's a pretty healthy underground community in Cali. targeting the San Clemente area mostly.  But an even bigger one out in Hawaii. Can't recall the sport fishing magazine that's popular in Hawaii but there's a corresponding website with a sub page dedicated to just this sport.

I've noticed that some of the more extreme guys have a small sled they tow behind them that carry extra fuel, tool box and cooler.

Besides the fun and individuality factors, why not just spend about the same amount of money on a standard power boat?
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Because a standard power boat of the same price is not safe offshore in anything but the best of conditions.  I feel kayaks are safer than small powerboats as well.

anything