Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:57:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:39:21 PM]

[Today at 06:58:56 PM]

[Today at 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: North Vancouver Island Trip  (Read 4695 times)

FishHuntMike

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Three coworkers and I headed up to the Port McNeill/Port Hardy area for some saltwater kayak fishing a couple weeks ago.  Big tides (15 ft) and so-so bottom and salmon fishing.  I ended up catching some snapper (10-14 lb), and halibut (5 of them up to 33 pounds, didn't expect these), a 16# king, some nice coho up to 13 pounds, some pinks, plus a lot of small bottom fish (eaten or released).  No lings this time.  Whales everywhere.  I had one monster hali on for 20 seconds or so before it broke me off on 80# spectra.  A coworker got a nice one however that was 58" or about 100 pounds that I had to gaff and hold on for a minute or so, getting soaked, before things calmed down.  I can't give specific location details, but there are plenty of places for kayak fisherman to fish without any boats in sight/vicinity and the fish seem to be all over the place, including the hali's (this year).

I love British Columbia!

Mike

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
That sounds like an awesome adventure and some really, really quality pics to go with it.  Nicely done!!!

-Allen

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Looks like you got the full spectrum fishing trip and I do mean full!  Way to go -- nice pics.  Always nice to have several friends along as well.  Now, exactly where was that?   >:D >:D
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Gorgeous fish and excellent wildlife shots. Life must be good. BTW is it ok to gaff salmon in BC? Actually that looks like a hook w/ the barb. What's the story behind that pic?

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

FishHuntMike

• Perch
Zee,

I caught all my salmon on apex's.  I lost my gaff last year so I took my hardwood billyclub and drilled a hole in the end and glued in a big shark hook with the eye cut off into the end of the billy club.  This homemade gaff was for the hali's and lingcod.  Without it we would have never got my buddy's big hali.  I just used the gaff to kill this particular salmon for a picture.  A gaff is legal in saltwater if used to subdue a legally caught fish, in BC but I think you are right that it is not legal in Washington.

I will buy a harpoon and bouy next time since the 100# hali was almost too much to hold on from a kayak with a small gaff.

Here's a pic of my buddy's hali.

Mike

Gatorbait

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
WOW! amazing pictures, how close were you to that black bear?   That's a great report and set of pics, nicely done.  (insert picture of a little yellow face with a thumbs up)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I will buy a harpoon and bouy next time since the 100# hali was almost too much to hold on from a kayak with a small gaff.

More story on this one!  Did you gaff the butt without any other altercation with it? A hundy butt is a lot to deal with on a kayak.  I would have loved to see the rodeo ride you took.  On the 50 I took this summer I stabbed it in the head with my safety knife and let it calm down for little while before letting Joey the gaffman have a shot at it.  Even then he got some tear-your-arm-from-your-shoulder-socket jerks from the butt.

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
That salmon went out FRIDAY THE 13TH style then eh? Ouch! ;D That hali's a straight Pigosaur. Insane that you subdued it just w/ your gaff. Nice work.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

FishHuntMike

• Perch
Allen,

The 3 coworkers I took had never fished saltwater from a kayak before and none of them had ever caught a hali either.  I told them over and over that there was going to be a significant struggle when the fish got on the surface and I don't think they believed me until I put the gaff through the fishes head.  They just stared at me while I hung on and the fish thrashed like crazy nearly tipping me over and soaked 2 of us.  The fish ripped the handle out of my hands and for a while all I had was just the little rope loop in my hand.  They thought for sure there was no way I would be able to hold on but eventually the fish tired and I had one of them poke its head a bunch of times with the knife.  Then I took a knife to the gills and let it bleed out for 5 minutes before wrapping my paddle leash through its gills.  The I tied it to my buddies kayak transom so he could paddle it back to an island where it could be filleted.  He got wore out towing it since it porpoised up and down like an out of tune wiggle wart all the way in.  A better way would be to tie it's head directly to the back of the kayak instead of being 5 feet behind. 

I do NOT want to do it that way again.  I've harpooned a bunch of smaller halibut from a boat and am convinced it would be a far better way.  If the fish was a 150# or bigger there is no way I could have held on, and feel I was lucky with this one on the hand gaff.

Next time I'm going to be ready for the barn door fish, with a harpoon and bouy.

Mike

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
I do NOT want to do it that way again.  I've harpooned a bunch of smaller halibut from a boat and am convinced it would be a far better way.  If the fish was a 150# or bigger there is no way I could have held on, and feel I was lucky with this one on the hand gaff.

Next time I'm going to be ready for the barn door fish, with a harpoon and bouy.

Mike

Good man. The harpoon is the way to go. I'm glad you made it w/o injury and w/ glory the shots to prove it!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
WOW!!!

Awesome Job!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I didn't even want to handle the 50#.  I was only a couple hundred yards from shore so started paddling that way, until Joey manned up.  At that point I thought it best to try to get a head shot in with the knife before letting him learn the hard way.  Still, he cowboyed up and had a bit of a ride.

-Allen

anything