Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:43:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:15:18 PM]

[Today at 09:33:15 AM]

by DBam
[May 06, 2024, 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: How can you help a kayaker get back onto a sit-on-top kayak?  (Read 3608 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Suppose you are out on the water, and a kayaker falls off their sit-on-top kayak and can't get back onto it.  How can you help them get back onto their kayak, preferably without falling off your own kayak in the process?  What are some techniques which are safe and effective even if you are in big waves?  Is there equipment you can carry which will help you assist an overturned kayaker?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:37:23 AM by pmmpete »

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
If they can't pull themselves back into the kayak you are in a pretty tough spot.
The best you can do is get on the opposite side and hold that edge down for them.
I would be very cautious about offering your hand to help pull them across. A panicking person could easily pull you into the water.
If you are close to shore and in a hobie it is possible to hang onto someone and drag them to shore.

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
You can also assist them with your paddle as something to grab on to and pull themselves up on the kayak while holding down the edge of their kayak. But like fungunnin said, if they are in a panic this may just put you in the drink also.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:56:11 AM by FireFly »
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
If they are in panic mode when you get near them, just whack them with your fish bonker and then help them. 

:violent1:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
If they are in panic mode when you get near them, just whack them with your fish bonker and then help them. 

:violent1:
Holy shit!  I'm glad I wasn't panicking when you were helping me get into my kayak!  [emoji15]
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Tell them there's a shark behind them. I bet they'll figure it out real quick.   ;D

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I've done this many times during HOW events. Typically sitting side saddle with one hand on their boat to stabilize it while pulling them up with your other hand works well. You have to get them to calm down and try to lay flat though otherwise they just pull  themselves mostly under the two kayaks. Also be prepared for them to face plant in your crotch. Happens 9 out of 10 times.
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I've done this many times during HOW events. Typically sitting side saddle with one hand on their boat to stabilize it while pulling them up with your other hand works well. You have to get them to calm down and try to lay flat though otherwise they just pull  themselves mostly under the two kayaks. Also be prepared for them to face plant in your crotch. Happens 9 out of 10 times.

There's a visual for ya......... got video ?
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Bong stick I tell you!   :violent1:

You will reduce that frequency by 100%.   :icon_thumright:

Or just smile as they head butt your junk.  ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I thought my junk was the bonker...

Maybe next time Mark [emoji6]
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I thought my junk was the bonker...

That's not what "she" said.   :icon_smurfin:

Stevm

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I made a rope ladder  for my outback - hopefully I won't need it unless I'm totally worn out, but it is cheap insurance.  With a large carabiner, it is easy to clip it on the side of another kayak (if they have handles there) and then steady the opposite side while they "climb" back in.

Incidentally, I made the ladder after I had trouble getting back on the Outback once last year when I was wearing wading shoes ( hey, they are warm!).  Luckily Wobbler was close by and helped me out, but I learned not to wear an inflexible shoe on the water.
“Once a year go someplace you have never been “
Dali Llama

2015 Outback Dune
2020 Outback Dune
20? OK Trident 13 Dune Camo

MikeinFresno

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I do it by sitting side saddle and put my feet on the other yak to hold it down so it wont roll back towards the other guy trying to get in.