Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:27:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 08:37:24 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Pescador 12  (Read 3114 times)

Willfish4food

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I just picked up an  perception pescador 12 angler for 100 bucks from a good neighbor.  I felt like this was a good deal and bought it without trying it, figuring it would be easy to sell if I decided against it. Mistake?  I read over all the past posts about this yak and searched google and think it will be ok for a starter yak.  Main goal is ponds, lakes and maybe some slow river bassin. I'd love to hear anybody thoughts or horror stories of this yak. 

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
One of my first Kayaks was a Pescador 12 I picked up from Sports Authority roughly 6 years ago.  What sold me on it was that it easily can accept an aftermarket rudder kit. No others seemed to at that price point.
My only complaint was the amount of water that it takes on even with a load 100 lbs less than it's rated capacity.  The center access hatch can not be accessed while out on the water unless moving at a quick pace if the scupper plugs are removed in the foot and knee area.    Part of the problem is the hatch is placed well forward on the earlier versions such as mine.  Beyond that I have been happy with it.  Granted I have only been in two other kayak models to compare it to.   

I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
A couple of times a year, someone shows up down here and surfs a Pescador 12.  I've seen him crash it and roll it and get it airborne before crashing and rolling - and take it back out.

Don't know anything else about them except that the well-surfed one is scratched and scraped and getting pretty ugly to look at, but it's darned durable.

If it floats and you got it for a Benjamin, you did good.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:57:34 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Krambo

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I picked up a perception 12 last winter off of craigslist for my first fishing kayak. 

From what I understand through my research of it is that it is the same model as an older model Wilderness Systems Tarpon. The new Tarpons are different with better hatches and I think they are a little wider as well. So all in all a great deal even if you buy one new.

I have taken it out in the Columbia, Willamette, and the surf. On the Rivers you are definitely going to want a rudder and your yak should come with the moldings to install one. I just did a DIY install on mine and it makes a world of difference while Trolling.

It does OK in the surf. The largest I have had it out in is 5ft. at PC and I definitely rolled it coming back in. But I am still learning.....I am getting better :) 
I am seriously considering getting some thigh straps to help with the surfing.

The only cons I have to say about it is that the mid hatch is too small for angling. My next DIY project will probably be cutting it to be larger to accommodate larger items.

Also the back Tank well is set kind of far back from the seat and you will be challenged on your flexibility reaching for the milk crate.

I have never had a problem with water overrunning the hatches from the scupper holes.

Have fun with your new Yak and PM me if you have any more questions about it.

All in all you cant beat it for the price! 

anything