Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:00:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: ****** 2016 ORC Family Friendly Activities ******  (Read 3969 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
As one of the co-organizers of the ORC this year, I thought  it might be nice to add a couple family friendly activities.     

The first activity will be gyotaku (Japanese Fish Printing).  I'm sure many of you have seen this before, it's where you take a fish, clean it up a bit, paint it with non-toxic paint and then lay a piece of paper over the painted fish to get a print.  It's actually pretty easy to do and it's perfect not only for recording your catch, but it also makes for a great art project for kids.   I'll be bringing some supplies (paints, brushes, paper), but if anyone else has some experience with gyotaku I could use help.   I thought we'd do this Saturday afternoon before the taco feed back at camp (as soon as people start bringing back fish we can print).   I'll give a quick demo of the technique and then let folks make their own prints as they wish.  If someone pre-fishes on Friday we could potentially do this Friday afternoon as well.

Here's a nice video about gyotaku from the makers of TED talks.

The second activity I have for this year's ORC is my favorite lawn game... Kubb.  I'm guessing this game will be new to most of you, but it's an old Nordic (potentially viking) game.    Kubb has several features that I feel make it a great yard game.

1.) Most importantly, you only need one hand to play.  That's right, the other hand is free to hold a beer while you play.
2.) Unlike horseshoes, it's not just 100% skill, it requires a bit of strategy.
3.) It can be played by anywhere from 2-12 players at a time.   So you can do 1-on-1, 2-on-2, ... 6-on-6, or even 1-on-6 if you really wanted to.
4.) The pieces are simply made out of a 6.5' long  4"x 4" and a 7' long 1.5" dowel (closet pole) and a table saw to do some cross cutting a bit of ripping.
5.) There are ways to handicap players so that players of different skills can play against each other.
6.) The field of play (pitch) consists of any clear 5 m x 8 m area you can find (grass, beach, snow)

I could explain all the rules, but this video does a pretty good job of that.

I have one Kubb set that I will bring and people can start playing as soon as I roll into camp. 

If anyone is interested in the game and wants to make your own set for your memorial day BBQ or summer block party, here are some instructions.

http://www.dyers.org/blog/archives/2007/09/10/make-your-own-kubb-set-for-dirt-cheap/

Just be sure to bring your kubb set to ORC in July.

-Brian

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Great ideas Brian!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Great ideas! Also cornhole is a fun one to play especially while drinking. It's easy and keeps 4 people involved at once.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I will most likely have adart board up and plenty of beer to share. The board is electronic and can play 8 players.  I am fine if other families or children of appropriate age would like to play.  They are plastics tipped darts on an electronic board. 

I also have a botche ball, krokae, and ladderball set I can bring.  I will have to dig them out of storage since I just moved but should have plenty of time
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
The fish printing is a GREAT IDEA!  I might come just for THAT!!!  What kind of ink is used?

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
The fish printing is a GREAT IDEA!  I might come just for THAT!!!  What kind of ink is used?

Traditionally gyotaku is done with Japanese sumi ink on washi or rice paper.  These are the same materials used in Japanese ink wash paintings and calligraphy.   However, good results can be had with non-toxic block printing inks.   I've also done prints on t-shirts with acrylic paints mixed with textile medium.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Wait!   

Brian you are actually coming to an ORC, and are you camping with us, fishing with us and everything?   

Yippy!   :wav:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Wait!   

Brian you are actually coming to an ORC, and are you camping with us, fishing with us and everything?   

Where have you been?  I was actually there last year.  Even placed in the top ten.  Heck,  I even hung out at camp INSAYN at least one night.

ndogg

• Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Our friends at neighbors for kids make  gyotaku paintings.  It could be a good opportunity to meet some of the kids and have them show us how to make  gyotaku paintings.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks for thinking of the families Brian. My wife and kids are looking forward to some of the activities. It makes it easier for me to convince them to jump in the car for 8 hours. -jed

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Our friends at neighbors for kids make  gyotaku paintings.  It could be a good opportunity to meet some of the kids and have them show us how to make  gyotaku paintings.

I really like this idea.  Does anyone have the contacts to make this happen?

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
That's a great idea. Brandy Easter has done that on tee shirts at the NorCal Gimme Shelter events. It's a big hit.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Wait!   

Where have you been?  I was actually there last year.  Even placed in the top ten.  Heck,  I even hung out at camp INSAYN at least one night.

It's so rare that you attend a full ORC that I blurred all your cameo appearances into one.  Now that I recollect a bit better, I do remember you hanging with us last year at camp INSAYN.   We tried to give you "fire butt" like we did to everyone else.  >:D

Looking forward to seeing you there again this year.  8)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Wait!   

It's so rare that you attend a full ORC that I blurred all your cameo appearances into one.  Now that I recollect a bit better, I do remember you hanging with us last year at camp INSAYN.   We tried to give you "fire butt" like we did to everyone else.  >:D

Looking forward to seeing you there again this year.  8)
John's Kalbi ribs are great, especially with beer!

anything