Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:24:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Poll

What fishing format should we use for the 2016 ORC?   ROUND 2

Best of 4 Slam
24 (80%)
Single Heaviest of each species
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: May 17, 2016, 10:00:00 AM

Topic: *** 2016 ORC Tournament Format ****  (Read 13612 times)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Thanks for putting so much thought and discussion into the format for ORC.  Just curious why you guys wouldn't do scoring similar to AOTY based on length and have those points proportional to the nominal size of each species?  Why do you go on fish weight?

I voted...I may sign up to fish the ORC, but I'd fish it under any format as long as the scoring format was established prior to the tournament.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Thanks for putting so much thought and discussion into the format for ORC.  Just curious why you guys wouldn't do scoring similar to AOTY based on length and have those points proportional to the nominal size of each species?  Why do you go on fish weight?

I voted...I may sign up to fish the ORC, but I'd fish it under any format as long as the scoring format was established prior to the tournament.

We already have Roy's AOTD tournament using that format (it's sort of his thing).  And while I like the AOTY scoring system (I'm a bit biased there), I prefer weight when measuring fish that are being kept and brought in to eat anyway.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

Not to take words out of the mouths of the organizers, but it's basically arbitrary.  Single heaviest fish was the format originally, and was maintained for many years. 

There is an AOTD tournament that Roy (coosbayyakker) has put on for a number of years if you prefer that format.
2012 ORC 5th Place

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
I like the format options. I voted for the 3rd because it really forces you to have a plan. The no risk factor is nice too.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

I like the AOTY format too, and I think most tournaments should be length based, appropriately weighted multipliers for species, with a bonus for CPR of hearty fish that can tolerate CPR well, such as all of the groundfish.

I also think there should be a dead fish tournament once or twice a year.  This is one of those tournaments.  Dead fish tournaments make side pots easier and result in awesome fish frys.  I do wish that the weigh-in rules required the fish to be handled differently because they are a bloody soupy mess when they aren't gutted and gilled or ike'd right away and that results in an inferior eating fish, but I realize it isn't an issue for most people and I'll get over it.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm really enjoying this discussion. I see the merits in each of the formats and I don't think there's a "bad" choice among them. It will be fun to see how this shapes up. With the current significant lead of the "best of 4 slam" it looks like that's the option to beat. And honestly I think that's a pretty good option; still plenty of room for luck, but also room for skill, maybe more than the single heaviest fish way it used to be.

I'm curious what the OGs vs. the newbies think? We've seen a few of each weigh in so far...

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I like the AOTY format too, and I think most tournaments should be length based, appropriately weighted multipliers for species, with a bonus for CPR of hearty fish that can tolerate CPR well, such as all of the groundfish.

I also think there should be a dead fish tournament once or twice a year.  This is one of those tournaments.  Dead fish tournaments make side pots easier and result in awesome fish frys.  I do wish that the weigh-in rules required the fish to be handled differently because they are a bloody soupy mess when they aren't gutted and gilled or ike'd right away and that results in an inferior eating fish, but I realize it isn't an issue for most people and I'll get over it.

We haven't posted all of the rules yet, but we will probably be going with a gutted weight on this.  There is a cleaning station right in the parking lot of the harbor so that shouldn't be an issue.  I imagine it going something like this... people who feel the need to get their photograph with an intact fish can do so, they can even get a weight taken with fish intact, but when it comes time to enter an official weight they'll have to gut the fish first.     This does two things... it allows people who worry about meat quality to gut their fish early on and not worry about loosing too much weight relative to the competition and it also prevents someone from stuffing their catch with a few 16 oz weights or small rockfish.

We'll be posting all of the safety and tournament procedure rules soon.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I do wish that the weigh-in rules required the fish to be handled differently because they are a bloody soupy mess when they aren't gutted and gilled or ike'd right away and that results in an inferior eating fish, but I realize it isn't an issue for most people and I'll get over it.

I'd say it's not too big of a deal to me either, but I agree... I don't bleed my fish at ORC in case I need the extra ounces at weigh-in and the meat suffers for it.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
We haven't posted all of the rules yet, but we will probably be going with a gutted weight on this.

Cool!

crash

• Salmon
We haven't posted all of the rules yet, but we will probably be going with a gutted weight on this.

Cool!

Yes!

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
This does two things... it allows people who worry about meat quality to gut their fish early on and not worry about loosing too much weight relative to the competition and it also prevents someone from stuffing their catch with a few 16 oz weights or small rockfish.

I like the elimination of potential cheating, and the enhancement of meat quality.  Though I did think it was really damn cool that a keeper size Dungeness crab was found in the stomach of the winning cabezon several years ago.  It probably added 1.5lbs to the fish's weight, though I don't that mattered in the end as second place wasn't even that close.  I have no doubt whatsoever that the crab was legitimately in the cabezon's stomach before it got hooked.
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I love the interaction with the planning committee that you are providing this year.  It will give folks a feeling of involvement and possibly spur more ideas for future ORCs. 

With that I would like to suggest a 5th option that would really put a spin on things.  No strategy, or plan could prepare the fishermen for how it would work out for them. 

Minutes after the closing of the weigh in station, and well before the awards we could have one of the kids from our charity "Neighbors For Kids" reach in and draw a number out of can. This number will be 1, 2, 3, or 4.  With that number, we then know which scoring option will be used to find a winner.  Then those doing the scoring can calculate the winners.  We'll see at the awards who gets lucky. 

Otherwise, I voted #4 because it is a four letter word, and I just happen to like that number.  It is also the last digit in my birthday, and the first and last digit in my age (currently), and all my cars and trucks have four tires.

;D 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
This does two things... it allows people who worry about meat quality to gut their fish early on and not worry about loosing too much weight relative to the competition and it also prevents someone from stuffing their catch with a few 16 oz weights or small rockfish.

I like the elimination of potential cheating, and the enhancement of meat quality.  Though I did think it was really damn cool that a keeper size Dungeness crab was found in the stomach of the winning cabezon several years ago.  It probably added 1.5lbs to the fish's weight, though I don't that mattered in the end as second place wasn't even that close.  I have no doubt whatsoever that the crab was legitimately in the cabezon's stomach before it got hooked.

I can confirm that the cabby with the crabby was legit.  The winner was fishing his first time on the Oregon coast and had no idea of what he was catching.  He described to me over the VHF what he reeled in as he saw color, while I was nursing a kidney stone at the dock.  Later I helped filet that pig and was totally shocked to see that crab and other crustacean bits that were piled inside that huge cabby, gut. 

On a side note, I bleed all of my fish regardless of the event.  I don't want to waste a fish to quality of handling just for a trophy.   On the flip side, I'm not sure if gutting is completely necessary. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
We had a full-size adult crab in one of Christine's cabezon too. Although her biggest just had hundreds of tiny ones  ???

crash

• Salmon
We had a full-size adult crab in one of Christine's cabezon too. Although her biggest just had hundreds of tiny ones  ???

From Brookings south it isn't unusual to find abalone shells inside of cabbies.  Some venturesome souls even prepare the cab gut juice marinated abalone meat for their own consumption.  I haven't done that yet, not sure I want to.

anything