Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:01:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:38:44 PM]

[Today at 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: ***2016 ORC DRAFT RULES ***  (Read 11318 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Keeping up with the idea of sharing as much as we can with the NWKA community, the 2016 ORC planning committee presents the following draft of the 2016 ORC Rules. 

Please feel free to make suggestions and comments here in this post.   These rules are not going to be up for a vote, but we will do our best to integrate as much of your feedback as we can where we feel it makes the most sense.   

We hope to finalize these rules by the end of May at which time this post will be locked and the official final rules will be posted.

2016 Oregon Rockfish Classic Draft Rules

ALL COMPETITORS MUST ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING:
  • BEFORE HITTING THE WATER
    • COMPLETE A SAFETY INSPECTION
    • PAY REGISTRATION FEES
    • FILL OUT AND SIGN THE 2016 ORC WAIVER
    • SIGN THE CHECK-OUT LIST
    • LAUNCH NO EARLIER THAN 5 AM
  • WHILE ON THE WATER
    • WEAR IMMERSION GEAR APPROPRIATE TO OREGON COASTAL WATER TEMPS
    • WEAR A PFD
    • CARRY A SIGNALING DEVICE
    • FLY A SAFETY FLAG
    • PROPEL THEMSELVES TO AND FROM THE FISHING GROUNDS (HUMAN POWER ONLY)
    • CARRY A VALID OREGON FISHING LICENSE
    • CARRY AN OREGON INVASIVE SPECIES PERMIT
    • ACTIVELY SEEK TO MINIMIZE IMPACT ON POWERED VESSELS (at the launch and on the water)
    • FOLLOW ALL DEPOE BAY REGULATIONS FOR ENTRY TO AND EXIT FROM THE HARBOR
  • DURING THE CONTEST
    • FOLLOW ALL ODFW REGULATIONS APPROPRIATE TO THE AREA
    • UNLESS UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE OR PERMANENTLY DISABLED, MUST LAND THEIR OWN FISH WITHOUT ASSISTANCE
    • OBSERVE TOURNAMENT FISHING BOUNDARIES
      • NO FISHING IS ALLOWED IN THE CHANNEL BETWEEN THE BELL BUOY AND THE HARBOR ENTRANCE
      • SOUTHERN FISHING BOUNDARY: WHALE COVE
      • NORTHERN FISHING BOUNDARY: RABBIT ROCK
      • WESTERN FISHING BOUNDARY: 20 FATHOMS
    • COMPLY WITH TOURNAMENT PLANNERS IF THEY DECIDE TO STOP THE TOURNAMENT EARLY BASED ON OCEAN AND PARTICIPANT CONDITIONS
  • UPON RETURN TO THE HARBOR…
    • ONLY FISH IN LINE AT THE WEIGH-IN STATION BY 2:00 PM WILL BE CONSIDERED, ANY ANGLERS WITHOUT FISH MUST REPORT TO THE WEIGH IN STATION BY NO LATER THAN 3:00 PM REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU HAVE FISH TO WEIGH.
    • NOT CHECKING IN BY 3:00 PM WILL DISQUALIFY YOU FROM PRIZES OR RAFFLES AND WILL RESULT IN BANISHMENT FROM NEXT YEAR’S ORC.
  • TOURNAMENT FORMAT
    • ONLY FISH FROM ANGLERS HAVING MET ALL SAFETY RULES WILL BE CONSIDERED
    • ONLY FISH IN LINE AT THE WEIGH-IN STATION BY 2:00 PM WILL BE CONSIDERED
    • ALL FISH WILL BE MEASURED BY WEIGHT IN POUNDS TO THE NEAREST 1/100 LB
    • GUTS MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE WEIGH IN
    • GILLS MAY REMAIN DURING WEIGH IN 
    • ANGLERS WILL BE RANKED BASED ON…(waiting for results of online poll)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:23:58 PM by bsteves »
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Can't think of anything in there I'd want to take out.

Might need to define "guts removed" so there isn't any doubt about whether enough has been taken out.  E.g. the kidneys might be missed by some folks.  If there's going to be a strict definition you might want to have someone that checks all fish prior to weigh in and removes any viscera that is beyond the allowed remnants. 

Is the signaling device the whistle/horn that has to be carried, or are you including VHF radios in that category? 

Will the safety inspection be the Coast Guard inspection that they've done in past years, or will that be an NWKA inspection?

Will NA or someone else be running shuttles to transport folks to/from campground and harbor?
2012 ORC 5th Place

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks for the clarification questions...

A whistle/horn as a signaling devise is required by the coast guard and that is what we are referring to.  We can clarify that a bit in the rules.

Will will try and get the Coast Guard Auxiliary to do inspections on Friday evening again, but the check out safety inspection is different.  You need to be there with your equipment on your kayak and wearing your immersion gear and PFD before you can sign out. The check out sheet is much more than just a check next to your name.   I'm hoping we can get a few more people to sign up and help with the check out to help speed this up.

Here's a draft of the check out / check in form.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Number 4 says "ALL ANGLERS MUST REPORT TO THE WEIGH-IN STATION AND SIGN THE CHECK-IN LIST BEFORE 3:00 PM"

Number 5 says "ONLY FISH IN LINE AT THE WEIGH-IN STATION BY 2:00 PM WILL BE CONSIDERED"

Are those two different times correct?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Number 4 says "ALL ANGLERS MUST REPORT TO THE WEIGH-IN STATION AND SIGN THE CHECK-IN LIST BEFORE 3:00 PM"

Number 5 says "ONLY FISH IN LINE AT THE WEIGH-IN STATION BY 2:00 PM WILL BE CONSIDERED"

They could be the same same time.  The consequences of each however is different.  Miss the 2 pm cut off and your DQ'd and don't get to weigh in your fish.   Miss the 3 pm cut off and we start to worry about your safety and we will DQ you from next year's ORC as well.    At the 3 pm cut off we start searching for you and would likely get the Coast Guard involved if we haven't heard from you at all.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
For immersion gear, what qualifies?  I am assuming a wetsuit would be fine.  What about waders with a tight belt?

Thanks for the clarification!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
For immersion gear, what qualifies?  I am assuming a wetsuit would be fine.  What about waders with a tight belt?

Good point, we will want to spell that out in detail.  Certainly a dry suit and full wet suit would count.  I'd be in favor or a properly set up waders + dry top + belt which would be a bit of a judgement call.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

Good point, we will want to spell that out in detail.  Certainly a dry suit and full wet suit would count.  I'd be in favor or a properly set up waders + dry top + belt which would be a bit of a judgement call.

3mm FJ?

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
3mm FJ?

With a dry top? .... Possibly.   
With a sweat shirt?... no.
With a rain coat?... no.

Obviously we'll have to spell this out a bit more.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

They could be the same same time.  The consequences of each however is different.  Miss the 2 pm cut off and your DQ'd and don't get to weigh in your fish.   Miss the 3 pm cut off and we start to worry about your safety and we will DQ you from next year's ORC as well.    At the 3 pm cut off we start searching for you and would likely get the Coast Guard involved if we haven't heard from you at all.

I think it's just confusing to be perfectly honest. I was confused just like Tinker. If it's the same time then we should be good. I think you should make them both 14:00 (if that's the time) otherwise fisherman not returning by 15:00 will be DQ'd for subsequent events. It's just a wording thing that may be helpful if changed or lumped together - Folks will see 3:00 and then have to think 2:00. Not a big deal.

Something along the lines of:

ONLY FISH IN LINE AT THE WEIGH-IN STATION BY 2:00 PM WILL BE CONSIDERED, ANY ANGLERS WITHOUT FISH MUST REPORT TO THE WEIGH IN STATION BY NO LATER THAN 3:00 PM REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU HAVE FISH TO WEIGH.

NOT CHECKING IN WILL DISQUALIFY YOU FROM PRIZES OR RAFFLES AND WILL RESULT IN BANISHMENT FROM NEXT YEAR’S ORC.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

I will bring both and check it out the night before with judges.  The wetsuit is just a tad bit small and makes me tired and hot quickly.  Thanks for the help!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Something along the lines of:

ONLY FISH IN LINE AT THE WEIGH-IN STATION BY 2:00 PM WILL BE CONSIDERED, ANY ANGLERS WITHOUT FISH MUST REPORT TO THE WEIGH IN STATION BY NO LATER THAN 3:00 PM REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU HAVE FISH TO WEIGH.

NOT CHECKING IN WILL DISQUALIFY YOU FROM PRIZES OR RAFFLES AND WILL RESULT IN BANISHMENT FROM NEXT YEAR’S ORC.

thanks, that is better wording.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Would this work for a dry top or are you talking abouyt the $250+ ones

http://www.amazon.com/NRS-Rio-Top-Paddle-Jacket/dp/B000GTA2YE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462490971&sr=8-2&keywords=dry+top+kayak

We're talking about at least a semi-dry top which you should be able to get for as little as $150 new (depending on the brand).  Check the bargain bin at Next Adventure, they occasionally have used ones for under $100.

Dry tops generally have water tight (latex) neck, waist and wrist seals and will keep you completely dry if you fall in the water. 

A semi-dry top generally has water tight waist and wrists with a fairly water tight neck seal.   These might let a little water in when you submerge, but generally as long as your head is above water, nothing else is getting in.  The Kokatat Supernova that is so popular is actually a semi-drysuit  (it has a neoprene neck gasket).

Anything that is called a paddle jacket or a splash jacket is actually just a glorified rain jacket.  They're great for staying dry in the rain or when a wave splashes you, but they don't keep water out if you fall into the water.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
They could be the same same time.  The consequences of each however is different.

Understood, and thank you.  I agree that the different wording would be more clear.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:05:58 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything