Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: ORC questions  (Read 24807 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
The safety inspections will happen in the Depoe Bay boat ramp parking lot the morning of the tournament.  On Friday night we will have a captain's meeting at the Chinook Bend RV Resort were will go review the safety inspection procedure, you will meet the safety inspectors. 

In the days to come I will start a post describing in excruciating detail everything you need to know about the safety inspection.

As for the raffle, as raffle prizes start showing up from our sponsors we will star posting them.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
i can see that being a problem for one, those that cannot make the captains meeting. i.e.... those that drive to the morning of. couple things that should have been made clear the requirements of before u start asking for registration money. its really going to take DAYS? to come up with the excruciating details? registration is open and someone is taking our money . this  safety inspection of who knows what can disqualify if not passed according to orc rules but u don`t know the details?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:15:58 PM by dampainter »

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
i can see that being a problem for one, those that cannot make the captains meeting. i.e.... those that drive to the morning of. couple things that should have been made clear the requirements of before u start asking for registration money. its really going to take DAYS? to come up with the excruciating details? registration is open and someone is taking our money . this  safety inspection of who knows what can disqualify if not passed according to orc rules but u don`t know the details?
You need to chill. This event is being put on by volunteers that have busy lives outside of nwka. They're having to deal with insurance companies and a ton of work to get this event organized. Captains meetings the night before have been the norm for the last few years. Safety inspections are needed because there was a ton of morons last year in shorts and tee shirts that threaten our ability to have such an event. Show up and fish and have a good time. If you think ORC is about prizes you're missing the point completely.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Thanks for being transparent with the breakdown of the $50 entry fee.  Last year this was a sore spot with many.

Also the layout of winnings sounds very fair to me. 

I would highly suggest adding the required use of an air horn for outbound/inbound travel, as from what I can find this is required by the Coast Guard, even more so than the VHF channel 80 hail. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

dampainter

• Salmon
 safety inspection question should have been easy to answer but guess was not? being so makes me wonder. years past was the coast guards inspection if am not wrong. i asked about that. this year tournament organizer?? clarification please. whats needed? geezuz! i ask a couple q`s and get hit with being too complicated, asked somebody to come up with excruciating details and told to chill.   its going to be done at the ramp the morning of??
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:00:29 AM by dampainter »

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Thanks for being transparent with the breakdown of the $50 entry fee.  Last year this was a sore spot with many.

Also the layout of winnings sounds very fair to me. 

I would highly suggest adding the required use of an air horn for outbound/inbound travel, as from what I can find this is required by the Coast Guard, even more so than the VHF channel 80 hail.

I've fished out of Depoe bay half a dozen times or so and have never heard anyone use a horn, be they power boat, kayaker, or Coastie.  They always call out on 80.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
my safety inspection question should have been easy to answer but guess was not? being so makes me wonder. years past was the coast guards inspection if am not wrong. i asked about that. this year tournament organizer?? clarification please. when/where? whats needed? geezuz! i ask a couple q`s and get hit with being too complicated, asked somebody to come up with excruciating details and told to chill.
Makes you wonder what? Coast Guard inspections have never been required, they're optional inspections the CG does at the ramp one They said they will post all the details in a few days. They will. The tournament isn't tomorrow, please be patient.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Let's trust that the organizers are working diligently to put together the best tournament possible, while making sure all safety and liability issues are covered. None of them are doing so because organizing events are fun. They're doing so for the NWKA community, so all of us can go out and fish and have a great time.

Do people know who "the organizers" are? It's not some evil corporate entity looking to ruin your good time. It's N-dogg, Craig, Wobbler, Bsteves, guys most of you have fished with. Please trust they have the best interest of the NWKA community in mind. Let's try to stay positive this year and remember the spirit of ORC is about fishing with your NWKA brothers and sisters while raising money for great charities.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:02:35 AM by bsteves »

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Let's trust that the organizers are working diligently to put together the best tournament possible, while making sure all safety and liability issues are covered. None of them are doing so because organizing events are fun. They're doing so for the NWKA community, so all of us can go out and fish and have a great time.

Do people know who "the organizers" are? It's not some evil corporate entity looking to ruin your good time. It's Rawkfish, N-dogg, Craig, Wobbler, Bsteves, guys most of you have fished with. Please trust they have the best interest of the NWKA community in mind. Let's try to stay positive this year and remember the spirit of ORC is about fishing with your NWKA brothers and sisters while raising money for great charities.

Word up. I could really care less about the tournament part. I love getting together and doing some fishing.

Thank you to all that help to put this together.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I guess we all know now who is getting a swift purple nurple with fish grips!  >:D
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Adam12

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Huge thanks to the ORC organizers!  Thank you for the great breakdown of tournament rules and requirements.  This tourney is always a highlight of the year for me and I can't wait for Jul 9.   :banjo:

Adam

Red Revo13

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Not really a question, but Thank You to the event organizers for the rules and information.

A small point of clarification that probably mostly affects me: I assume the rules for tandem boats are the same as previous years, and I further assume that the signaling device and VHF requirement are per kayak, not per person. Please let me know if it is otherwise so I can arrange a VHF for Mrs. Redbeard.

I can understand the anxiety of someone who hasn't done this before wanting answers to questions. But I also understand the reality of what the organizers are trying to do. I'm looking forward to hearing about the prizes too, and no, that doesn't mean that's "what it's all about" for me, but it's called a tournament, not a barbeque. When that information comes in it will be welcome, and until then we'll just have to sit tight.

On the boundaries: It is unfortunate we had to reign that in a bit, but that's still plenty of water even for 120 participants, and I appreciate the clear definition and even a map for visual aide.

I'm going to pray for good weather and I'm looking forward to seeing all of you on the water.

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
A few questions for a ORC First Timer. 

My plans have just changed and I may be able to do the ORC for the first time this year:

1.  Is it still possible to register for the event?

2. Is there still any availability at the Chinook Bend Camp ground for the night before?

3. Is it realistic to drive down the day of the event, or do I need to be there on Friday night for a pre-tournament meeting/inspection, etc?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but just want to make sure on these things.

Thanks
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Hey Cosmo,

To answer your questions...
1.) Yes, we just opened registration so there spots left.
2.) Yes, there will be plenty of tent camping available at Chinook Bend. If you're planning on bringing a full RV, those spots do go quickly.
3.) We would prefer if you joined us for the Captain's Meeting on Friday night at the camp ground to go over the rules and expectations.  Those that attend will also receive a Captain's bag of schwag from our sponsors.   However, if that is just not possible, you can drive down the morning of the event.  We will have someone manning the check out / weigh in tent all morning long.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Captain Redbeard,  you are correct... a single VHF, bailing device, invasive species permit, and safety flag per kayak.   The PFD, immersion gear, and fishing license requirements are per contestant.   I'll see if I can tweak the rules to reflect that distinction.

Note the rule (3.m) about landing your own fish unless you are disabled or under 16.  That pertains to a tandem as well.   

anything