Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: ORC questions  (Read 24658 times)

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Thanks Bsteves. 

If I'm only bringing my kayak and vehicle, do I need to make a separate camping reservation?

Also, what time is the captains meeting?
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Thanks Bsteves. 

If I'm only bringing my kayak and vehicle, do I need to make a separate camping reservation?

Also, what time is the captains meeting?
You can check in at Chinook Bend and pay for tent camping when you arrive. Captain's meeting is usually after 7 in the evening if I remember correctly.
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Cosmo,

We will be posting the full schedule of events soon.  The Captain's Meeting will be at 7 pm on Friday night at the Chinook Bend RV Resort by the pavilion.

You can pay for camping when you arrive, but you might get a discount for making a reservation and mentioning that you are with Northwest Kayak Anglers tournament.   I'll have to double check on that discount.

If you don't want to camp at all but want to attend the awards ceremony and raffle on Saturday night, you can do that by letting the folks at the campground know that your just visiting for that reason.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

FireFly

• Salmon
I do have a question though.....

Will HOW be doing a spaghetti feed Friday night and breakfast burritos on Sunday morning again?  :o
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Will HOW be doing a spaghetti feed Friday night and breakfast burritos on Sunday morning again?  :o

I really hope so, but I haven't heard from them yet.   We will post something as soon as we know.

FireFly

• Salmon

I really hope so, but I haven't heard from them yet.   We will post something as soon as we know.
Thanks bsteves!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:30:25 AM by FireFly »
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Captain Redbeard,  you are correct... a single VHF, bailing device, invasive species permit, and safety flag per kayak.   The PFD, immersion gear, and fishing license requirements are per contestant.   I'll see if I can tweak the rules to reflect that distinction.

Note the rule (3.m) about landing your own fish unless you are disabled or under 16.  That pertains to a tandem as well.

Got it, exactly my expectation, thank you.

lil_cowboy

• Perch
  • Cowboy up
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
Just checking, but I just registered on the link that you guys sent out yesterday june 13th for the tournament. It still says that it is next adventure. I thought that the registration was not through them anymore.

2nd place Tillamook Bay May Day for largest legal crab limit
2018 2nd place Tillamook Bay Day for largest legal crab limit
2010 yellow Hobie mirage outback

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Just checking, but I just registered on the link that you guys sent out yesterday june 13th for the tournament. It still says that it is next adventure. I thought that the registration was not through them anymore.
That is the correct registration link.  The folks at Next Adventure are still a major sponsor of the ORC this year and one of the things that they are helping us with is hosting the registration page.   

They have however, stepped back on running things as they did last year.  All questions about rules, prizes, activities, etc.. should be directed to the organizing committee which consists solely of NWKA members.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:17:55 AM by bsteves »

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Yes on the spaghetti feed. I'm not sure on the breakfast burritos yet, Ling Banger should chime in soon.

lil_cowboy

• Perch
  • Cowboy up
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014

2nd place Tillamook Bay May Day for largest legal crab limit
2018 2nd place Tillamook Bay Day for largest legal crab limit
2010 yellow Hobie mirage outback

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
With the addition of cash prizes there is the potential for certain unintended consequences.  It can attract folks who are not in it for the camaraderie, and it can encourage cheating in various forms.  I believe this happened at Albion, California in 2014.  People showed up there and contributed nothing to the potluck at the banquet yet ate copious amounts of food anyway, which is obviously a dick move. 

Requiring the belly cavity to be open should cut down significantly on certain types of cheating, but other types, such as holding fish caught on a different day for weigh-in, are still possible.  There is something about cash prizes that brings out the worst in some people.

Question:

Has the committee considered the potential unintended consequences of offering cash prizes and developed measures to mitigate potential problems? 

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
It would be cool to see this go more toward a great get-together and fund raiser and less of a "competition".  Just a cool unique trophy/plaque/carving whatever for the winners and shift the dollars to go toward a bigger raffle which would raise more $$.

It's really about some great fishing, killer tacos and cold brewskis for me.  Supporting 2 great causes is awesome!
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
It would be cool to see this go more toward a great get-together and fund raiser and less of a "competition".  Just a cool unique trophy/plaque/carving whatever for the winners and shift the dollars to go toward a bigger raffle which would raise more $$.

It's really about some great fishing, killer tacos and cold brewskis for me.  Supporting 2 great causes is awesome!

Well, just start praying for a cruddy marine forecast the day of the event.  Our back up plan this year is a big potluck get together with a killer raffle for charity.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
With the addition of cash prizes there is the potential for certain unintended consequences.  It can attract folks who are not in it for the camaraderie, and it can encourage cheating in various forms.  I believe this happened at Albion, California in 2014.  People showed up there and contributed nothing to the potluck at the banquet yet ate copious amounts of food anyway, which is obviously a dick move. 

Requiring the belly cavity to be open should cut down significantly on certain types of cheating, but other types, such as holding fish caught on a different day for weigh-in, are still possible.  There is something about cash prizes that brings out the worst in some people.

Question:

Has the committee considered the potential unintended consequences of offering cash prizes and developed measures to mitigate potential problems? 

We have thought quite a bit about this sort of thing.  Our biggest concern is safety and eliminating some of the less prepared anglers that have shown up to the event in the past and paddled out in just street close to fish our event.  Our rules are much stricter in that regard.

Yes cash prizes are incentives, but so is giving away things like kayaks as prizes.  For many reasons this is why we are shifting more towards a raffle.  The $2000 kayak and paddle package from Wilderness/Adventure Technology we have as our top featured raffle prize is worth much more than the top cash prize for the tournament.

As for the potluck... I'll be too busy reinforcing the tournament rules to worry about proper bring a dish to pass etiquette.