Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: **** 2016 ORC Raffle ****  (Read 42961 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Not sure if was mentioned or matters, but does the raffle ticket holder have to be present to collect a winning raffle draw, or will there be a redraw?  Obviously if folks can't stick around for the raffle, but have a good friend that is they could have their winnings collected by their buddy.  But prizes not claimed, would it be better to redraw or hold the item until this person can pick it up on a later date? 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Timing the raffle, and eating can be tricky.  However, I would suggest we do something like we did back in 2009 at Beverly beach where we ate first, everyone cleaned the area up and then we all sat down and did the raffle well into the evening.  Once done, everyone slipped away and nothing was left for someone else to clean up later. 

This could help assure that more folks jump in to get the food cleaned up so we can get on with the announcing the winners and then the raffle.

Just a thought.   :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Timing the raffle, and eating can be tricky.  However, I would suggest we do something like we did back in 2009 at Beverly beach where we ate first, everyone cleaned the area up and then we all sat down and did the raffle well into the evening.  Once done, everyone slipped away and nothing was left for someone else to clean up later. 

This could help assure that more folks jump in to get the food cleaned up so we can get on with the announcing the winners and then the raffle.

Good idea!  :banjo:
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Not sure if was mentioned or matters, but does the raffle ticket holder have to be present to collect a winning raffle draw, or will there be a redraw?  Obviously if folks can't stick around for the raffle, but have a good friend that is they could have their winnings collected by their buddy.  But prizes not claimed, would it be better to redraw or hold the item until this person can pick it up on a later date? 

Yes, the age old question regarding raffles..  I think we are going to go with "must be present to win".   This lets us use the simple two part raffle tickets with numbers rather then requiring phone numbers, addresses, etc to be filled out.     If you need to take off and have a friend you trust, they can collect prizes for you.  Otherwise, prizes that aren't claimed will be redrawn.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Yes, the age old question regarding raffles..  I think we are going to go with "must be present to win".   This lets us use the simple two part raffle tickets with numbers rather then requiring phone numbers, addresses, etc to be filled out.     If you need to take off and have a friend you trust, they can collect prizes for you.  Otherwise, prizes that aren't claimed will be redrawn.

Sounds perfect to me.   :icon_thumleft:

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

Good idea!  :banjo:

Very good idea!
2012 ORC 5th Place

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
is there a certain amount of raffle tickets to be sold?

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
is there a certain amount of raffle tickets to be sold?

It is my understanding that there is no limit on the total number of raffle tickets.  The more they sell the more HOW/NFK get in donations.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I was at fish field today since it is close to my work. They make large swim baits near 9-10 inches I believe. They said they would be interested in sponsoring and mentioned if someone placed with their bait there would be an extra prize from the store. Has anyone reached out to them. If not I would be willing to.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I was at fish field today since it is close to my work. They make large swim baits near 9-10 inches I believe. They said they would be interested in sponsoring and mentioned if someone placed with their bait there would be an extra prize from the store. Has anyone reached out to them. If not I would be willing to.

Yes we have, in fact, I think Craig and Steve are there at store this very moment.  If you take a look at the NWKA home page you will see we already have them listed as a sponsor.  We are still getting the details on this, but from what I understand they will be giving out bonus prizes (possibly cash) to anyone finishing in the top 3 of the tournament with photographic evidence of a FishField Bait being used in that win.   We will post the details when we have more information. 
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Must be present to win would be the simplest way to do the raffle.  Trying to allow everyone to take part should be important. 

While I understand the reasoning for a post meal drawing, I'd suggest doing it before any cooking. It would allow those working Sunday to start traveling earlier, and those that want to get festive can stretch the meal out at a relaxed pace.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Must be present to win would be the simplest way to do the raffle.  Trying to allow everyone to take part should be important. 

While I understand the reasoning for a post meal drawing, I'd suggest doing it before any cooking. It would allow those working Sunday to start traveling earlier, and those that want to get festive can stretch the meal out at a relaxed pace.

While I understand what you are saying, this also brings us right back to the dine and dash that usually happens when the raffle and cooking take place at the same time. The cooks miss out on most of the festivities (BTDT).  Example: They get back to camp from fishing, clean gear, filet fish, immediately start prepping for cooking, cook while raffle and winners are announced, then MUCH of the crowd slip away leaving the mess for the cooks and many of the original event organizers to cleanup. 

I still think that cooking, eating, potluck cleanup, winner announcement, then the raffle would be the most logical for the masses.
But, I am not in charge here - just one that has been left with the cleanup more times then I would like repeat.  And I am quite sure there are others that feel the same.  :-\

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Totally agree, if you're dining you should be pitching in.

In my case it's all cart before the horse anyway.  The ORC has been my nemesis.  Maybe I'll get lucky in a raffle. ;)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

In my case it's all cart before the horse anyway.  The ORC has been my nemesis.  Maybe I'll get lucky in a raffle. ;)

Yeah, the best I've done is a 7th place, and with the raffles I scored a t-shirt, a knife and cheap fishing pole that I returned to Fred Meyers for a $45 refund, and I've only missed one ORC since 2009.   It's more about camping, fishing, and BS around the fire, than the winning for me at least.

In reality, if the registration to the event also covered our place in line at the fish fry, then I am sure there would be a paid crew to clean up after everyone.  Never going to happen, so I would like to see that it is not perceived as such.  8)

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Would it be Koser to hand your tickets over to a buddy you trust?

anything