Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:33:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: *** 2016 ORC Safety Check In / Check Out / Weigh In ***  (Read 8434 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Below is a draft of the ORC check in / check out / weigh in form that we will be using during the event. 

These will be printed (3 to a page) on Rite-in-the-Rain paper and each of the ORC safety inspectors will be using these to record your compliance to the safety rules.  These safety inspectors will also have lists of who has paid and who has signed a waiver.  If you have not signed a waiver yet, they will also have extra copies for you to sign.

Safety inspection stations will be located down near the top of the ramp (a bit to the east of the ramp) and at the weigh-in station (look for a pop up tent on the grass on the east end of the parking lot with a Next Adventure banner).  In addition, we will likely have at least one roving inspector in the parking lot area.

Please come to the safety inspection with your kayak ready and your immersion gear and PDF on.

Note that we will check your gear off, if all is well, we will record your inspection time and you will be asked for a signature.   When you come in (before 2 pm ) report to the weigh in station and we will record your time, your fish weights, and ask for another signature.

If you failed to do the morning safety check in, we won't have a form filled out for you to record your fish and you and your fish will disqualified from the tournament.  In other words, while we will do our best to make sure we have everyone inspected, in the end if you want to compete in the tournament it is up to you to make sure you get your safety check done.   

Details about what we are looking for during the safety inspection...

As per the rules...

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17843.0

In particular...  Sections 3a - 3f  which lists required safety items...

3. While on the water each participant must:

a. Wear immersion gear appropriate to Oregon coastal surface water temperatures

We will accept the following forms for immersion gear....

1.) Full Dry suit (or Full Semi-Dry suit)
      2.) Dry top (or semi-dry top) and Dry paints
      3.) Full Wetsuit
      4.) Farmer John and Dry top (or semi-dry top)
      5.) Waders with wading belt and Dry Top (or semi-dry top)

A dry suit (or dry top) has latex arm and neck gaskets as well as a wide, tight fitting waist closure. 

A semi-dry suit (or semi-dry top) has latex arm gaskets a tight fitting neoprene neck gasket as well as a wide, tight fitting waist closure.  The Kokatat Supernova Angler Suits that many NWKA members have are Semi-dry suits because they have a neoprene neck gasket.

Basically, don't show up in anything that you couldn't float around in the ocean in for 20-30 minutes.

b. Wear a Coast Guard approved personal flotation device (PDF) at all times. The PFD must be type I, II, III, or inflatable life vest as defined by the US Coast Guard

This one is pretty self-explanatory.  If there  are any questions we will be looking for the Coast Guard rating on the PDF itself for clarification.

c. Carry on their kayak a functional marine band handheld VHF radio and monitor channels 80, 72, and 16 while adhering to proper VHF radio communication procedures

We will check that this is a functional VHF radio and not a FRS (family radio service) radio.

d. Carry a signaling device on their person

We're looking for a sound producing device such as a whistle or air horn as required by the Coast Guard.

e. Fly a safety flag on their kayak

Something bright that extends over your head while on the water.   This can be a bike or ATV flag, a flag attached to an extra fishing rod, or any of a number of kayak specific safety flags out on the market. 

f. Carry on their kayak a bailing device

A hand held bilge pump works best, but anything that can be used to quickly bail out water will suffice.

This process may seem arduous to some, but in previous years we have many anglers fishing our tournament that somehow snuck out and didn't follow our safety rules.   For example, last year we had an angler in a kayak wearing just jeans and a hoodie and we had another in another kayak not wearing their PFD.   We've always had some form of check in, but in previous years that consisted of just checking you name (or number) off a list.   The problem with that was had people checking in their buddies to expedite things.

If anyone is going to be at the ORC and not planning on fishing, but willing to help out, please PM me.  As you can see there are lots of opportunities to help out.     

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:53:45 PM by bsteves »
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Well done.  I don't think it could be more clear.

Rite-in-the-rain is a great idea.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I think it would be a smashing idea to have NA, KayakShed, or some other vendor on hand at least at the campground, and possibly at the boat launch too, with an inventory of items for purchase that are required to participate.  E.g. bilge pumps, whistles/horns/, safety flags, and VHF radios.

It would seriously suck to be DQ'd because your VHF took a dump when you did the functional test on it, or to realize you left your bilge pump at home, or whatever.

2 years ago I broke my safety flag when I huli'd in the surf at Hobuck shortly before ORC.  Luckily I was able to get replacement parts and fix it in time, but had NA been there with a selection of flags I could have bought something easily if those parts had been delayed.
2012 ORC 5th Place

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I think it would be a smashing idea to have NA, KayakShed, or some other vendor on hand at least at the campground, and possibly at the boat launch too, with an inventory of items for purchase that are required to participate.  E.g. bilge pumps, whistles/horns/, safety flags, and VHF radios.

It would seriously suck to be DQ'd because your VHF took a dump when you did the functional test on it, or to realize you left your bilge pump at home, or whatever.

2 years ago I broke my safety flag when I huli'd in the surf at Hobuck shortly before ORC.  Luckily I was able to get replacement parts and fix it in time, but had NA been there with a selection of flags I could have bought something easily if those parts had been delayed.
This is a great idea. We will reach out to them and ask. I drove an hour and a half to go duck hunting two years ago and forgot my booties. Luckily for me Scapoose Bay Kayak was open. It actually turned out for the better, I bought a pair a couple sizes larger than the ones I forgot. This allowed me to wear heavier wool socks and my feet were much warmer.  :)  It would have sucked to have to turn around and go home.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

This is a great idea. We will reach out to them and ask. I drove an hour and a half to go duck hunting two years ago and forgot my booties. Luckily for me Scapoose Bay Kayak was open. It actually turned out for the better, I bought a pair a couple sizes larger than the ones I forgot. This allowed me to wear heavier wool socks and my feet were much warmer.  :)  It would have sucked to have to turn around and go home.

And then there was this time when you forgot your paddle, and didn't realize it until you heading back through the surf zone.  You are too funny!   ;D 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon
I wear my gym clothes to work in the morning and work out. It is a common theme for me to forget necessities. Let's just say Commando Friday isn't just for Fridays anymore. It can happen when you least expect it. ::)

TP

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

We're planning to bring some necessity type things to sell at least at the campground, not sure if we'll set up at the launch/park.

I'd love to get everyone's feedback with would like to see, right now I'm planning to bring whistles, drybags, bilgepumps, flags, and some other stuff that people might commonly leave at home.

I'll see if we can grab a couple retail VHFs, and Invasive species permits but we'll have to keep things simple, the AIS are also available in town at any ODFW vendor in case anyone forgets theirs or are coming from out of state.

if there's something you'd like to see shoot me or CJ a pm or post it up.

• Date Registered: Mar 2013
If you're selling replacement electronics, they'll need a battery option since they probably won't be charged coming out of the package.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

We're planning to bring some necessity type things to sell at least at the campground, not sure if we'll set up at the launch/park.

I'd love to get everyone's feedback with would like to see, right now I'm planning to bring whistles, drybags, bilgepumps, flags, and some other stuff that people might commonly leave at home.

I'll see if we can grab a couple retail VHFs, and Invasive species permits but we'll have to keep things simple, the AIS are also available in town at any ODFW vendor in case anyone forgets theirs or are coming from out of state.

if there's something you'd like to see shoot me or CJ a pm or post it up.

The campground is a license vendor, so it's probably not necessary for you to bring Invasive Species permits.

I would definitely bring at least a couple/three VHF radios.  Especially if there's also a means to charge them.  If you have any demos or blems/returns that are out of the packaging already anyway that would allow for charging prior to sale.  Maybe even rent them if you have that ability?

Bring some rescue knives too. 
2012 ORC 5th Place

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
For what it is IMO these are the most effective signaling device. Canned air horns are loud but the sound doesn't carry as well.

http://t.basspro.com/SeaSense-Safety-Blaster-Horn/product/67743/

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice job Brian et al!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
In my recent move I packed away my vhf radio in storage. I am hoping to find it by then if not would anyone be willing to rent an extra they may have. Say 20 bucks or a 12 pack for the day?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

craig

• Sturgeon
In my recent move I packed away my vhf radio in storage. I am hoping to find it by then if not would anyone be willing to rent an extra they may have. Say 20 bucks or a 12 pack for the day?

I think I can get a hold of one for you. I should have an extra available.

craig

• Sturgeon
Also, for the AIS, you can purchase them cheaper from the Oregon Marine Board than most fishing license vendors due to the $2 fee. The OMB sells them online and you can print it out while you are awaiting your tyvek tag in the mail (at no additional charge) https://apps3.oregon.gov/application/osmb/elicense/. Also, you can buy a 2 year from them if you plan to fish it again next year. Our sponsor Next Adventure also sells the OMB Tyvek one I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think there is the vendor fee.

I have a spare I will rent for $4.50 for the day with a $10 deposit.  ;D

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

Good idea, I'll need a bilge pump.

anything