Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:35:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 08:38:44 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Handling a fly rod on the kayak  (Read 3106 times)

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Decided I'd try the fly rod with some sinking line after seeing quite a few people giving this a try at my local fishing hole.   Since I'm a klutz casting a fly line, I figure this would be a fun way to get down about 20 feet behind the kayak and catch some nice 12-14 inch rainbows.

This didn't last very long.

My leader became hung up on the rod tip, and that's a pickle with a 9 foot long 5wt rod holding a reel with weighted line.  Reaching the rod tip means hanging the reel end of the rod off the boat.  Even when using the bow to set the reel end of the rod down while it's sliding off the gunwale.   After what must have been some comical gyrations, I succeeded turning my 4 piece Sage 5wt into a 5 piece 5wt.   It's now sent back for repair.

Good news is I was able to drag the propeller-head green fuzzy bug (did I say I was a novice at this fly fishing thing?) behind me using my ultralight spinning gear to catch a couple nice rainbows.

I'll try the weighted fly line behind a backpacking travel fly/spin rod to work out the sinking line thing while the Sage gets fixed.

What's the trick to managing a 9ft fly rod on a kayak when the line gets fouled at the rod tip??

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Practice...that's the key.   
Green propeller fuzzy thing... You crack me up.  That's what I call them.
You'll get a rhythm and a system for handling the fly and the sinking tips, and managing stripped line all from the cockpit of your kayak.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
What's the trick to managing a 9ft fly rod on a kayak when the line gets fouled at the rod tip??

Don't foul the line on your rod tip.

You're welcome.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Lots of practice and balancing of putting the butt end up on the extreme bow or if need be head to shore or take a section apart to reach the tip. To make you feel better my saltwater rod is 11 ft. and my kayak is 12 ft. so imagine that?
Scott

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Put the rod tip in the water and with some slack in the line (and holding the grip) yank the rod straight backwards - so the line is being pulled straight out from the rod tip.  That will often get the line unwrapped.

If that doesn't work, put the rod tip in the water and, again holding the rod at the proper end, gently swirl the rod tip in the opposite direction from how the line has wrapped around the tip top.

If that doesn't work, disassemble the rod at the middle section so you can reach the tip.

If that doesn't work, take a buddy with you.  surf12foot has helped me recover from my foul-ups more than once.

Or head for shore.

The first time I tried to clear the tip, I wasn't paying attention and the rod went over the side.  There are more fun things to do than to recover your rod using the line, and slowly unspooling the fly line and 200 yards of backing, hoping that the arbor knot holds... but it beats busting the rod.

IMHO, you'd have been better off with either a slow-sinking line (1.5ips) or a floating line with a sink tip - a custom cut, a MOW tip, or Polyleader - to get to 20 feet.  A weighted line requires a different casting stroke, and if you're new to casting a fly rod, it might be better to practice a little before adding a kayak to the mix.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:41:05 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Lots of practice and balancing of putting the butt end up on the extreme bow or if need be head to shore or take a section apart to reach the tip. To make you feel better my saltwater rod is 11 ft. and my kayak is 12 ft. so imagine that?

Yeah, but you were born holding a 3wt in your hand.  I pity your poor mom...    ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:03:33 PM by Tinker »

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
Breaking the rod down is what I'll try next time!   Thanks!

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

threecreeks

• Lingcod
  • "Life is tough, but it's tougher when yur stupid"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Put the rod tip in the water and with some slack in the line (and holding the grip) yank the rod straight backwards - so the line is being pulled straight out from the rod tip.  That will often get the line unwrapped.

If that doesn't work, put the rod tip in the water and, again holding the rod at the proper end, gently swirl the rod tip in the opposite direction from how the line has wrapped around the tip top.

If that doesn't work, disassemble the rod at the middle section so you can reach the tip.

If that doesn't work, take a buddy with you.  surf12foot has helped me recover from my foul-ups more than once.

Or head for shore.

The first time I tried to clear the tip, I wasn't paying attention and the rod went over the side.  There are more fun things to do than to recover your rod using the line, and slowly unspooling the fly line and 200 yards of backing, hoping that the arbor knot holds... but it beats busting the rod.

IMHO, you'd have been better off with either a slow-sinking line (1.5ips) or a floating line with a sink tip - a custom cut, a MOW tip, or Polyleader - to get to 20 feet.  A weighted line requires a different casting stroke, and if you're new to casting a fly rod, it might be better to practice a little before adding a kayak to the mix.

K.I.S.S. Find a system that works and stick to it until you can cast it blindfolded. There are rod systems, line systems, blah blah blah......some of the best casters I know have down sized to Tenkara rods......line and stick, that's it. Point is there is no magic potion or line or whatever. It's just fishing and practice makes more practice and nobody is perfect.
Cobra F-n-Dive / Hobie Pro Angler 14

• Date Registered: Mar 2013
You probably have a multi piece rod. Break it in half at the middle ferrule, that will bring the tip in arms range. Reel in whatever slack you have between the reel and the tangled tip. Just be slow and methodical, keep the movements to a minimum to reduce tangling. Make sure all the line is on the same side of the rod when you reassemble.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
K.I.S.S. Find a system that works and stick to it until you can cast it blindfolded. There are rod systems, line systems, blah blah blah......some of the best casters I know have down sized to Tenkara rods......line and stick, that's it. Point is there is no magic potion or line or whatever. It's just fishing and practice makes more practice and nobody is perfect.

There you are DK, sell your kayak and just start paddling a log, since going primitive will show everyone that you're a great kayaker - and make it easier to untangle the line...   ;D

threecreeks

• Lingcod
  • "Life is tough, but it's tougher when yur stupid"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007

There you are DK, sell your kayak and just start paddling a log, since going primitive will show everyone that you're a great kayaker - and make it easier to untangle the line...   ;D

Lol! Just listed mine on Craigslist.....thinking about a cow pie instead of a log...but I'm worried about the carbon footprint. 😉

What helps me the most is keeping a clean deck. I always get hung up on my FF post. Drives me nuts.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:47:00 AM by threecreeks »
Cobra F-n-Dive / Hobie Pro Angler 14

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Also, don't troll behind you. Lay lay fly rod fwd facing right off the bow with the butt end/reel in your lap and paddle backwards. Way easier to manage fly gear when it's all laid out in front of you

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
Also, don't troll behind you. Lay lay fly rod fwd facing right off the bow with the butt end/reel in your lap and paddle backwards. Way easier to manage fly gear when it's all laid out in front of you

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That's a gem of some advice right there... thanks for this!

Islander

• Perch
  • yaknfish
  • Date Registered: May 2006
The backwards trolling bit is good advice....  I reverse my hobie drive and back troll all the time.
Gary
2017 Trident 11
2012 Hobie Mirage Outback
O.K. Scrambler XT

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
The backwards trolling bit is good advice....  I reverse my hobie drive and back troll all the time.

Ding, Ding, Ding !!

Or, put it off to one side at 60 deg from dead ahead.

Actually, that's the correct angle, whether you go FWD or BWD.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.