Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 11:44:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:30:17 PM]

by DBam
[Today at 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Currents  (Read 3728 times)

• Date Registered: Mar 2016
I usually use MSW for wind and swell forcasts, but how to you guys tell what way the current is moving before you go out? Info is greatly appreciated!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Usually once on the water, we head out to fishing grounds and just heave to.  Then, note which way we drift, and take note on the GPS the average speed.  It can switch directions one or more times a day, or not.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Thanks for the reply,

That's usually what I do also, but at times the current is so strong that I can't even troll for salmon without drifting way off and try to fight current all the way back. Is there such thing as a current forecast so I can know before I go?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Thanks for the reply,

That's usually what I do also, but at times the current is so strong that I can't even troll for salmon without drifting way off and try to fight current all the way back. Is there such thing as a current forecast so I can know before I go?

Maybe, but I haven't seen one.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

TP

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Depends where you are, you can usually figure out the current based on the tides.

They do make current books, that will tell you where and when the current will be the strongest and what direction it's going depending on the tides and features of the area.

I've only seen them for the san jauns though, they're called waggoner tables

https://www.amazon.com/2016-Waggoner-Tables-Burrows-Associates/dp/098828779X/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41AADuqyLAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR246%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=VXQAKRW7D485V785WMG4

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
USGS river data will show speed as well as rise/fall, turbidity, and temp.

Dunno how you'd get that for a bay or ocean.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Raindog

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
http://bragg.coas.oregonstate.edu/

This isn't a forecast but it maps surface currents along the Oregon Coast daily. You'll find yesterdays currents the morning you go out.

I've had issues with strong north to south currents fishing at Pacific City. They can make it really difficult to jig for ling and rock fish. It doesn't help that I require a paddle to propel myself, leaving me without enough hands to do it all.

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
I use the one Noah posted as well as this one for fishing JDF .

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/jua
T2

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

This isn't a forecast but it maps surface currents along the Oregon Coast daily. You'll find yesterdays currents the morning you go out.

I've had issues with strong north to south currents fishing at Pacific City. They can make it really difficult to jig for ling and rock fish. It doesn't help that I require a paddle to propel myself, leaving me without enough hands to do it all.

That is a big part of the attraction to Hobies and other pedal drive kayaks.  Once I get my job situation settled and we move the cash flow that should get freed up if we buy a cheap enough house might allow me to buy a Hobie or Native Propel, or some other pedal driven kayak.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Wow thanks for all the great info guys!

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

That is a big part of the attraction to Hobies and other pedal drive kayaks.  Once I get my job situation settled and we move the cash flow that should get freed up if we buy a cheap enough house might allow me to buy a Hobie or Native Propel, or some other pedal driven kayak.

A drift sock doesn't cut it?

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
A drift sock slows down the effects of WIND moving you. It would have zero or possibly an amplifying effect on what current does to your kayak.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I use sailing current charts that show the changes in currents depending on tide flow.  This is for Hood Canal, I'm sure if you hunted for sailing charts you might find some.  I've used a GPS to measure speed and sometimes moving 50 feet or so left or right will result in changes of forward speed from 3 MPH to 5 MPH

http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/washu/washuc77001/washuc77001_part3.pdf

anything