Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Self Rescue  (Read 7044 times)

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Anyone up for self rescue practice before the water temp drops? It is important to practice this with the yak you use most, which I found out the hard way this March. There are some good places to practice on Lake Coeur d' Alene. Comments?
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Honu

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I'm up for it.  Let me know when you are thinking about doing it.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
I'm up for it.  Let me know when you are thinking about doing it.

Great Honu. I only posted today. Lets give it a bit longer to see who else is interested. Ill keep you posted. When do you normally get on the water?
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Honu

• Herring
I'm working the swing shift, 4pm- midnight, next couple of weeks.  So mornings free and all day free Friday, Saturday.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
I'm working the swing shift, 4pm- midnight, next couple of weeks.  So mornings free and all day free Friday, Saturday.

Cool, I'll keep you posted.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Location: Lake Coeur d, Alene. Thursday 9am. Put in at Higgens Point boat launch at the end of East Coeur d' Alene Lake Drive. Just along the bank to the east of the launch is a small beach area with enough drop off to get the depth we need to practice but still be within a safe distance from the beach. If you are interested PM me. Disclaimer. I am a novice kayaker but did some self rescue practice last summer. I have since got a bigger heavier kayak and need to do this practice drill. It is always best to do this in company for safety reasons. Required items include PFD, cold water wear if you have it, no cotton clothing, "leash it or loose it," leash everything especially paddle and Mirage drive. Your kayak should be loaded the way you would normally use it. If you are comfortable with this. If not just bare bones is ok too. Don't forget dry clothes for after your swim.

Warf

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
If the CD'A salmon derby is still going on parking at the ramp might be zero. It is a dirt ramp with maybe parking for three or four trucks with trailers, During the week it might be OK but if on a weekend finding a spot could be tough...On the bright side, some good smallie fish just west of the ramp.... warf

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
If the CD'A salmon derby is still going on parking at the ramp might be zero. It is a dirt ramp with maybe parking for three or four trucks with trailers, During the week it might be OK but if on a weekend finding a spot could be tough...On the bright side, some good smallie fish just west of the ramp.... warf

Thanks for the heads up Warf. The derby ends on Sunday 31st so we should be ok for Thursday 4th Aug.

Honu

• Herring
I did a drive by yesterday and the ramp looks paved with what seems to be lots of gravel  parking between walking path and road. Was I at the wrong ramp? Seems the ramp looked about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the end of the road turnaround.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
I did a drive by yesterday and the ramp looks paved with what seems to be lots of gravel  parking between walking path and road. Was I at the wrong ramp? Seems the ramp looked about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the end of the road turnaround.

I'm not sure Scott. Here is a link with a photo. The launch is right at the end just before the large car park. I usually launch and then park on the shoulder on the far side of the road opposite the entrance for the launch. As you look down the ramp there is a small area on the left where you can launch your kayak and be out of the way of bigger boats. I will look out for you. I hope this helps. Let me know. Also if you get held up and are late go ahead and launch. We will be halfway between the ramp and the point to the east of the ramp.
https://www.lakecoeurdalene.com/on-the-water/boat-launches/higgens-point-boat-launch/

Honu

• Herring
Yup, that's where I was. I needed to verify a head of time as it a little over an hour for me plus whatever time the boat inspection takes along I-90.

Honu

• Herring
Ok,  thanks Tony. Noticed the all boats inspection driving into Cda yesterday. Now need to leave a bit earlier.

Warf

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Oop's!!! my bad, I got my ramps mixed up, I was referring to the dirt ramp at Harlow point. Just to many ramps to keep track of!..lol..

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Oop's!!! my bad, I got my ramps mixed up, I was referring to the dirt ramp at Harlow point. Just to many ramps to keep track of!..lol..

I know, right?

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Location: Lake Coeur d, Alene. Thursday 9am. Put in at Higgens Point boat launch at the end of East Coeur d' Alene Lake Drive. Just along the bank to the east of the launch is a small beach area with enough drop off to get the depth we need to practice but still be within a safe distance from the beach. If you are interested PM me. Disclaimer. I am a novice kayaker but did some self rescue practice last summer. I have since got a bigger heavier kayak and need to do this practice drill. It is always best to do this in company for safety reasons. Required items include PFD, cold water wear if you have it, no cotton clothing, "leash it or loose it," leash everything especially paddle and Mirage drive. Your kayak should be loaded the way you would normally use it. If you are comfortable with this. If not just bare bones is ok too. Don't forget dry clothes for after your swim.

just a shout out from the Oregon Coast to everyone doing self recovery practice.  Whether you kayak in lakes, rivers, tidewater, or the ocean, having done some practice getting back in your boat will give you confidence to do it like a pro when it really matters...cheers, roger
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

anything