Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Self Rescue  (Read 7076 times)

Warf

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
I have a fish pond on my place that gets nice and warm in the summer and is 25 feet deep and is great for doing rescue practice. A few years ago I picked up a new OK Big Game 2, a big heavy, wide fishing machine.

I'm near 76 so not a kid anymore with young buck arms. I found it was tough getting back in so went for a inflatable NRS paddle float (inflatable) and made a couple paddle loops of para cord behind the seat.

Works excellent as I can right the boat (easy) slide the paddle through the loops, put on the float and crawl up the paddle into the boat. Did it 15 times last year until I was pretty pooped.

Then last fall the sh## hit the fan...found out I had lemphoma cancer in neck. After 7 months of kemo (not a fun thing) was cured BUT the kemo will  suck the strength out of you real bad, so bad I couldn't get back in the boat so yak fishing has pretty much been on hold this summer as I fish mostly alone.

BUT... I solved the loss of arm strength too. I carry a pair of scuba flippers in the front hatch or on the deck  they fit over my booties well, takes just a coupler seconds to put them on and I can get in the yak fast like a seal jumping up on a dock. Don't need the paddle float with the flippers.

Yea, it's a couple aids that take a little time to get on or set up but at  age 75 sure beats setting on the beach watching others yak fishing. So go with the aids if they help get you on the water.....warf

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I have a fish pond on my place that gets nice and warm in the summer and is 25 feet deep and is great for doing rescue practice. A few years ago I picked up a new OK Big Game 2, a big heavy, wide fishing machine.

I'm near 76 so not a kid anymore with young buck arms. I found it was tough getting back in so went for a inflatable NRS paddle float (inflatable) and made a couple paddle loops of para cord behind the seat.

Works excellent as I can right the boat (easy) slide the paddle through the loops, put on the float and crawl up the paddle into the boat. Did it 15 times last year until I was pretty pooped.

Then last fall the sh## hit the fan...found out I had lemphoma cancer in neck. After 7 months of kemo (not a fun thing) was cured BUT the kemo will  suck the strength out of you real bad, so bad I couldn't get back in the boat so yak fishing has pretty much been on hold this summer as I fish mostly alone.

BUT... I solved the loss of arm strength too. I carry a pair of scuba flippers in the front hatch or on the deck  they fit over my booties well, takes just a coupler seconds to put them on and I can get in the yak fast like a seal jumping up on a dock. Don't need the paddle float with the flippers.

Yea, it's a couple aids that take a little time to get on or set up but at  age 75 sure beats setting on the beach watching others yak fishing. So go with the aids if they help get you on the water.....warf

Warf, thank you for your post. I particularly like the swim fins idea. I'm sorry to hear about your cancer, I hope the chemo is or has worked for you. It seems we are in similar situations. Until last year I was suffering from undiagnosed major sleep apnea, I had so many related joint and mobility problems that my wife had to help me put my socks on. Since my diagnosis I have improved my mobility 95%. Lost 40lbs and started kayak fishing. My firs kayak was a Pelican Boost 100. My wife and I did self rescue drills before we did much else, neither of us had any problem righting and re-entering our kayaks. Very soon I realized I needed a wider more stable kayak for my weight and age, 235# and 69yo. So I got a Hobie Outback. Come to find its a whole lot harder to right and re-enter. Hence my post. To stimulate discussion and self analysis. I appreciate your input. I speaks to me on my level. I'm in CdA. If you ever need company out fishing, feel free to message or e-mail me. Im retired and mainly fish during the week. I like fishing for all local species.

Idaho Brit
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:36:43 PM by Idaho Brit »
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Thats why I keep the right side of my outback clear.  I also have to use a self rescue assist device for my Outback.  In my Ocean Kayak its no problem but the side of the Outback is so high when in the water.  When using the stirrup you have to do it at an angle otherwise you'll just pull the kayak over on yourself.  It takes practice but once you figure it out you'll be popping right in first time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks Mr Monkey, I hear you about the high freeboard on the Outback. I'll bear your comments in mind.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Honu

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Hey Brit,
I finally watched the video, for some reason I couldn't watch it on the puter and had to watch it on my phone via tapatalk.  Let me know when you are going back out to practice some more.  I'm considering getting an outback and need to know if I can get back in it.
Aloha,
Scott

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Hey Brit,
I finally watched the video, for some reason I couldn't watch it on the puter and had to watch it on my phone via tapatalk.  Let me know when you are going back out to practice some more.  I'm considering getting an outback and need to know if I can get back in it.
Aloha,
Scott

Hi Scott,
Yes lets go out again, you are welcome to try my kayak, I'll try to see when Todd can come out with us. How did you like Todd's Revo? Tri State outfitters in Coeur d' Alene has discounted their Hobies by $500.00 right now. You might want to consider waiting till the new Hobies with reverse drive come out next year. Just a thought. I'll let you know when we can do this.

Tony,

Honu

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Sounds good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk