Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:57:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: cold smoke  (Read 2908 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Many moons ago I tried that Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue (the one done with filbert shells) and it was an eye opener.

I recently scored a Smoke Chief cold smoke generator off CL and I am looking for interesting things to try and the wood combinations that bring out the best flavors. Cheeses, lox, capers, oysters, tofu, seaweed, spices, to nuts anything goes. I'll try almost anything once.

For reference

https://www.smokehouseproducts.com/products/smoke-chief-cold-smoke-generator?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:35:22 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
We love to smoke the Tillamook aged white cheddar in the black label with any kind of smoke.
 I cut it into quarters long way and a few hours of cold smoke......delicious!
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

tambs

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Double stuffed Oreos.   Taste a lot like a s'more. 

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I'll try almost anything once.

If you only want to try it ONCE and you are in for something exotic, try oleander chips*.  ;)

*This was a joke. It will kill you.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
I was in bi-mart getting some pellets and they had the Smoke Chief on sale for $120 if anybody wants to pick one up.

Willfish4food

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Anybody looking to save a little money and wants to cold smoke, I highly endorse the A-maze-n cold smokers.  You just fill the tube or tray with pellets/wood dust, light one end and put it in your smoker.  Cheap and effective😀.  I have used the big Chief models as well with good success.
I love my smokers!

-alonso

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I second the A-maze-n smoker.  It adds just the right amount of smoke and does not burn through excessive pellets.  So far I have made 2 batches of lox with apple pellets and they both turned out great. 

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
It does work great. Well, as long as you don't try to make lox out of chum.  However, chum lox was the best crab bait used one day on the Columbia.

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Ant’ny… That’s a really cool looking smoke generator you got there! I’ve also got the A-Maze-n pellet tray and love it, but hey, that electric Smoke Chief one you got looks like it ought to work too! Especially if you got it at a discount used. That just means its seasoned already! Just curious what grill/smoker you plan on using that on?

A couple of things I have cold smoked that really surprised me are-
Vegetables- pretty much any kind! Peppers, onions, potatos, and even mushrooms (if you want to call them a vegetable) Parsnips are highly underrated!
Salt- Yup! Blown away by smoked salts!
Paprika- I rarely use regular anymore
Yes Cheese!- I just vacuum packed away 5 lbs of smoked Swiss last night- OMG my fave! I even started making my own cheese recently. But you can keep your “Blew Chunks” cheese though!
Lastly and most importantly, is Bacon!… Need I say more? If you have ever had properly cured and smoked home-made bacon, you will never want to buy that stuff from the store again!

I have been experimenting with different smoke woods and pellets. My new favorite is Pecan! I order specialty pellets from the same company as the tray smoke generator above- Amazen. http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/62.htm In fact I’ve got 5lbs of corn cobb pellets (and more Pecan) coming in the mail right now! Yes! Corn Cobb smoked bacon!
The Smokehouse brand at Bi-Mart are actually really good, but only have the standard Apple, Cherry, Hickory and Mesquite.

What’s funny, is I have a nearly unlimited supply of smoke wood available to me (cherry, maple, alder, oak, and hazelnut) and I have a wood chipper. Now I use pellets 99% of the time.

Lets see some of your smokes!!!
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
The Smoke Chief is kind of meant to use with your grill, you just put the nipple into the rotisserie hole. I may end up building some kind of box for it if the flavor of whatever I grilled up last comes through. I don't think smoked cheese would be very good with additional liver and onion flavoring.