Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Salmon Soup? Who has a recipe?  (Read 2742 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Title says it all!

I want to try making salmon soup - fresh and smoked - and I have no recipe ideas.

Care to share?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Title says it all!

I want to try making salmon soup - fresh and smoked - and I have no recipe ideas.

Care to share?

The first recipe is one I love to cook, it is a Cod recipe but I see no reason it wouldn’t work with Salmon, It is very light in nature and should lend itself to using both smoked and unsmoked Salmon:
http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/poached-cod-tomatoes/
The following are chowders none of which I have cooked although the sources are usually good.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/northwest-salmon-chowder
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/salmon-chowder-recipe.html#!
http://www.marthastewart.com/286421/salmon-chowder.
Buon appetito.
Tutti a tavola a mangiare. :P
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Got 'em printed and in the recipe notebook.

Thank you.

no_oil_needed

• Lingcod
One way I really like salmon poached in a flavorful broth, and you can basically serve some or all of the broth as soup. I'd stay away from the wine-based poaching as that tends to be too much acid for soup, but anything savory with enough salt and no cheese will suffice. I don't have a recipe as I usually cook more by feel and taste than by the book. Poaching in miso soup is very good.
Relax. You'll live longer.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I rarely follow a recipe or write my own down because I focus more on specific flavors & ingredient combinations and work from there. Sometimes I may want a more chowder like consistency & others I may be looking for a light broth. I personally will lightly poach the salmon in a broth, remove it & add it back at the end as to preserve the natural flavor & not overcook it. With that said, envision the flavor profiles of your desired final product & move forward from there.
Here's a list of ingredients that I would include in a Salmon Chowder recipe:
Salmon, Leeks, Onion, Celery, Carrots, Shallots, Garlic, Lemon/Preserved lemon, Herbs(thyme, tarragon, etc.), Potato, Celery Root, chicken/Vegetable broth; finish with Cream/Powdered Milk
Good luck!
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
One way I really like salmon poached in a flavorful broth, and you can basically serve some or all of the broth as soup. I'd stay away from the wine-based poaching as that tends to be too much acid for soup, but anything savory with enough salt and no cheese will suffice. I don't have a recipe as I usually cook more by feel and taste than by the book. Poaching in miso soup is very good.

I rarely follow a recipe or write my own down because I focus more on specific flavors & ingredient combinations and work from there. Sometimes I may want a more chowder like consistency & others I may be looking for a light broth. I personally will lightly poach the salmon in a broth, remove it & add it back at the end as to preserve the natural flavor & not overcook it. With that said, envision the flavor profiles of your desired final product & move forward from there.
Here's a list of ingredients that I would include in a Salmon Chowder recipe:
Salmon, Leeks, Onion, Celery, Carrots, Shallots, Garlic, Lemon/Preserved lemon, Herbs(thyme, tarragon, etc.), Potato, Celery Root, chicken/Vegetable broth; finish with Cream/Powdered Milk
Good luck!

I'm good with most soups and some chowders and I don't have a recipe for any of them, either.  I've never tried making a fish soup or stew and I had no idea how to treat the salmon when cooking it, but I'm getting the idea.  This is all good and I appreciate it.

Thank you both.

anything