Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2017 ORC Taco Feed additional dish contribution.  (Read 5564 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I want to remind everyone (new comers as well as regulars) that this Taco Feed is not just a free meal at the end of the day provided by and prepared by nearly the same folks that volunteer each year.  Additional side dishes are always requested for each year, but rarely exceed 4 or 5 provided by anyone that isn't already signed up to help with or contribute to the prep and cooking of the taco feed itself.

We have 80 folks signed up this year to fish the tourney, headcount for dinner will easily be double that.
Each year the food line is better than 150-200 people deep and unfortunately really low on additional dish contributions.

With the amount of folks attending, we should easily be able to drum up 30-40+ additional contributions to offset the items listed on Sumpz great 2017 ORC Taco Feed thread.

Dig deep within yourself and make it a new trend to out do the next guy on what you bring. 
Take the time to put together a great side dish, maybe a unique salad, a scrumptious desert to be shared with all. 
Contributions should easily support 4-10 people and not break your wallet doing so.  Just be creative and avoid being generic about it.

You could become a legend and your dish could be looked forward to each year.   If it's awesome, people WILL remember it and talk about it, and even look forward to it each year.

If you guys take this and run with it, and we get a lot of really good contributions this year, I will see what I can come up with for future ORC's in providing a great prize to the best dish or dishes. All in the spirit of making ORC even better!

So, once you have come up with a killer item to contribute, reply to this thread.
Just cut and paste the list below in your reply and add your dish and your NWKA handle.

Chernobyl Chicken/ribs - Bluewrx02
Chowder - Goldendog
Chowder - Browneyesvictim
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:19:49 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Potlach

More of a Potluck than a Potlatch, lets see this blossom.
Paul, remember all that great food we had at GS in NorCal?   Those guys can kill it with the seriously huge variety of dishes they made.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:20:57 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Potlach

Paul, remember all that great food we had at GS in NorCal?   Those guys can kill it with the seriously huge variety of dishes they made.
Yeah, I remember. As I recall, your wok was a big hit also.  I was hoping for Potlach so we could determine social ranking by food contribution. Maybe set up a gauntlet run for the moochers.  >:D

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I just finished making another batch of kimchee that I will bring down.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I just finished making another batch of kimchee that I will bring down.

Chowder - Goldendog
Kimchee - Bsteves

Awesome! 
Your kimchee was great last year on the salmon sashimi we made at camp with John's left over rice and trimmings off Craig's salmon that Tanner help him land by hand.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Potlach

Yeah, I remember. As I recall, your wok was a big hit also.  I was hoping for Potlach so we could determine social ranking by food contribution. Maybe set up a gauntlet run for the moochers.  >:D

The UFO (wok) will be in business once again this year.   :headbang:

I get what your one word reference for a Potlatch means now, at first I thought you were confusing it with Potluck.   >:D

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Does anyone know if there is a grill that we can use down there or if someone is bringing one?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:59:47 PM by jed »

Coastal Chief

• ORC_Safety
  • Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Ok....well This newcomer is going to make a some kick ass Jalapeño/ bacon pressure cooker macaroni and cheese! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Ok....well This newcomer is going to make a some kick ass Jalapeño/ bacon pressure cooker macaroni and cheese! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chowder - Goldendog
Kimchee - Bsteves
Jalapeño/Bacon Pressure Cooker Mac-n-Chz! - Coastal Chief

That's what I'm talking about!!   :thumbsup:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Does anyone know if there is a grill that we can use down there or if someone is bringing one?

I want say they have a grill on the patio down by the group camp, but not 100% confident.

Some stores sell one time use disposable BBQ's REALLY cheap that come loaded with briquettes and ready to go.

Depending on what you are planning to grill, maybe pick up a couple and use them?

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Okay thanks. I'll bring some roadkill kalbi and find a way to cook it when I get down there.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Craig - Thanks for posting this up!

Looking forward to what folks continue to offer up.
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
We had a bit of momentum going there, and that is what we are aiming for. 
Still lots of room for many more great side dishes, be it protein, salad, desert, etc... to be added.   

Now that we are nearing 270 folks that have viewed this thread (obviously some folks have viewed it several times adds to the count, but beyond that....)  I am certain that the 80 folks that have signed up to play on Saturday's ORC fishing tourney, have probably viewed this thread at some point and are scratching their heads on whether or not to commit a contribution. 

If you are still on the fence about what to contribute, take a look at your gramma's old recipe book, Google various sites regarding great potluck meals, ask the meat guy at the grocery store for some ideas.  Keep it simple if you like, but style points ring louder in the crowd, so get creative, come up with somethin really tasty to share, and we can remember it as a "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner" contribution. 

We all like food, and what is better than food, a lot of varieties of food.

So, if you come up with something you want to share, copy and paste the slowly growing list below, and pate it in a reply and add your dish and your handle.  Lets keep the ball rolling! 

Thanks guys!   :headbang:

Chowder - Goldendog
Kimchee - Bsteves
Jalapeño/Bacon Pressure Cooker Mac-n-Chz! - Coastal Chief 
Roadkill Kalbi - Jed

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Here's my recommendation for anyone who doesn't think they'll have time to make a dish for the pot luck...

Here's the official infomercial..

Order an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker from Amazon tomorrow on PrimeDay.

They should be on sale then.  With two day shipping, it'll to your house right before you head to ORC.  Assuming you can find someone at camp with an electrical hookup.. you'll be able to make an amazing one pot dish like pulled pork, chili, stew, etc... in about an hour thanks to the miracle of pressure cooking.

Brian

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

anything