Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: ORC 2018  (Read 14998 times)

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
coastal chief where did u notice that chinook bend is for sale? there has been on/off talk about it for year`s but curious where u noticed that it was for sale?

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
sumpnz, that will never happen even if it did get new owners, orc event is like money in the bank to present owner and or future owner. they will always be "amenable"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:35:52 PM by dampainter »

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
sumpnz, that will never happen even if it did get new owners, orc event is like money in the bank to present owner and or future owner. they will always be "amenable"

That assumes the potential new owners want to keep Chinook Bend open as a campground similarly to how it is now.  If that is the case, then yeah, of course we'd be fine to be able to keep using it as our base of operations for ORC.  However, if they decide instead to go to a truly private, members only campground, like Thousand Trails where you have to be a member or guest of a member, that could exclude us.  Or if they decided to turn the property into something other than a campground we'd be out of luck. 

There is no way of knowing who will buy the campground (if it even sells at all) until the sale has closed.  So there's no way of knowing how it will impact us.  I'd hope the campground would be bought by someone that wants to maintain it as a campground open to the public, but there is risk that won't happen.  Not saying I want us to shift away from Chinook Bend, but having a backup identified would be prudent.

They've gotten pretty expensive for a simple camping spot, but the location is good and they have the facilities to make the ORC work well.  It will likely be hard to find an alternate that is as desirable, or even as functional.
2012 ORC 5th Place

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
There are a lot of RV parks in the area.  On either side of Chinook Bend are Coyote Rock and Sunset Landing for example.   There's even a small RV park at Fogarty Creek.    As we are a large group, it would be good to figure this out sooner than later.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I've heard that Chinook Bend is expecting upwards of 5k campers for the eclipse. They are probably just trolling hoping someone that shows up falls in love with the place and has deep pockets. The "marina" under the bridge was for sale for years.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
I've heard that Chinook Bend is expecting upwards of 5k campers for the eclipse. They are probably just trolling hoping someone that shows up falls in love with the place and has deep pockets. The "marina" under the bridge was for sale for years.

:o

Even at just the $30/night I got charged for ORC that's $150k for one night.  Granted they'll probably spend half that keeping the toilets working, but still, that's a crap ton of people (yes, that was intentional).  They better hope it's not too overcast, unless is a pay up front when you reserve and no refunds kind of deal.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Coastal Chief

• ORC_Safety
  • Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
coastal chief where did u notice that chinook bend is for sale? there has been on/off talk about it for year`s but curious where u noticed that it was for sale?
I saw the listing in rv park store.com.  It was a full listing.  I found it a few days after the ORC.  I just hopped on the site so see it again, and see that it has been removed.  I'm wondering if Lingbanger was right.  They may have been trolling for a buyer. 

I happen to take this screenshot when I saw it and sent it to my wife telling her I could transition from Fire Chief to RV guy...of course she told me I had to keep my day job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Hmmmm...Beverley Beach has 3 group campsites next to each other.  We could just get one or two and and host the event at it and have space for tent campers. Everyone else just reserve their own site if they have RVs.  I bet it is cheaper.  I was shocked at Chinook Bend's price this year. The first year I did the ORC it was $19/ night for a tent.

craig

• Sturgeon
Just checked. 25 people per group site for $78 per night.  We could get 75 people in three group sites however, 6 cars per site is the limit.  It may be better to get two group sites next to each other for the event, or the meeting hall.

Coastal Chief

• ORC_Safety
  • Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Well I certainly did not intend to create any issues regarding potential loss of Chinook Bend, due to possibly being on market.  BUT.... my two cents..ORC was my first time camping at CB and will be my last.  The people at CB were great, but we felt very cramped in the tiny spots.  It felt quite distant from Depoe Bay.  Cost for the site I had seemed reasonable for summertime coast standards.  But I thought the park itself was standard "coast" (you can draw your own conclusions).

Regardless of where the event is held, I'm hooked and will always be back.  If there is any desire for change, being a local  I will assist in any was possible when called upon.

By the way....when you were all roasting in the Valley...we were a balmy 82...And I am sad to report ...today up on the Cape I could smell the warm hagfish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
Just checked. 25 people per group site for $78 per night.  We could get 75 people in three group sites however, 6 cars per site is the limit.  It may be better to get two group sites next to each other for the event, or the meeting hall.

Can you pay extra for more cars?  It's only basically $3/person for the camping, so I'd happily pay even $10 for excess vehicle fees.

If not, it would take some extra coordination but if we could set up a place for parking extra cars and have anyone with a minivan or something shuttle folks.  Very far from ideal, but better than nothing. 
2012 ORC 5th Place

craig

• Sturgeon

Can you pay extra for more cars?  It's only basically $3/person for the camping, so I'd happily pay even $10 for excess vehicle fees.

If not, it would take some extra coordination but if we could set up a place for parking extra cars and have anyone with a minivan or something shuttle folks.  Very far from ideal, but better than nothing. 

I do not know the answer. I may ask. There is overflow parking at the campground.  I can get 5 people and 5 yaks in my van.  I probably won't fish next year since I think Brian should get out there with his son.  Therefore, I will not need a kayak the day of the tournament. Maybe we should make it a team event where carpooling with a four man team is required. ;) Just kidding! Put away the pitchforks.  You know who you are. :)

Merz

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Is the 14th pretty much official then? Need to put in for time off.
-Evan
1st 2016 AOTY
1st 2018 SBAOTD
1st 2019 BCS
1st 2022 SBAOTD
1st 2023 BCS
1st 2023 OKBF Davis Lake Flying Kayak Open
1st 2023 SBAOTD

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

craig

• Sturgeon
We are still not 100% sure on the 14th.