Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: NRS GigBob drifter...  (Read 5478 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
In my experience, Mirage drive kayaks and swift water are not a great match.  And anchoring any kayak in moving water can be interesting and there is a reason that drift boats use oars and not paddles.

So my quest for a solo drift fishing platform, rekindled late last year by some discussions with "Clayman",  lead me to the NRS GigBob 2.0 ($850).  I am rigging mine with the goal of being able to effectively use all the standard drift boat fishing techniques (eggs/beads/jigs under a bobber, pulling plugs, casting hardware) and I need to easily navigate swift shallow water and rapids that is considered standard stuff for a drift boat.  The relatively easy Siuslaw drift from Whittaker to Wildcat is my "home stretch" of water, once I have that down, I can expand from there to perhaps the Alsea and Siletz....and beyond! 

Running rapids just for fun in my GigBob?  yeah, maybe next summer. 
Catching coho from it on Siltcoos this fall with Pepper on the back?  you know it.

things I really like so far about the GigBob:  light weight, fits in my small SUV with room to carry a bicycle, the drop stitch stuff is amazing- the top platform ('Gig') is rigid enough to kneel and stand on, the pontoons ('Bobs') are flat on the bottom, and the sitting/rowing position makes it easy to just jump in and out of in shallow water.

rigging has gone well, as has my first testing on Munsel lake.  The 'Gig' deck is suitable for large dogs and kneeling on it feels like it will be a great fish fighting and landing position, for when the water is too deep to just stand up in.   

moving water and anchor testing is next, once the water flow up on the Siuslaw drops just a wee bit more.  cheers, roger

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm interested in seeing how this works out for you, roger.  I had a standard-looking one-person inflatable pontoon for a very short time - not very similar to the GigBob - to try drifting rivers and that one didn't work out like I'd hoped.  Then again, I don't have your skill for fixin' what ain't workin'.   ;D
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Looks slick Roger!  Definitely has some advantages over a kayak.  Keep in touch for when you make a date for a float.
aMayesing Bros.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
That rig looks slick, Roger.  Now I want one. :)
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I'm interested in seeing how this works out for you, roger.  I had a standard-looking one-person inflatable pontoon for a very short time - not very similar to the GigBob - to try drifting rivers and that one didn't work out like I'd hoped.  Then again, I don't have your skill for fixin' what ain't workin'.   ;D

preview of my April-May project especially for Tinker-  the 20 pound 'Gig' fits perfectly on the recessed center of my Mirage drive SUP (26 pounds).  I am forcing myself to get through steelhead season and my related STEP/hatchery duties first but I am just dying to see how this hybrid CrazyBoat behaves on the water. 

the 12.5' touring SUP is 30" wide and really fast but has low secondary stability; the 'Gig' is 48" wide with all that flat deck space.   

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
You're a wild man, roger!  I've really enjoyed following your projects - and the CrazyBoat concept may be the best one yet.  Thanks!

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
The worlds first “Mirage drive stand up/sit down paddle-more-or-less NRA GigBoard” !!! I love it now incorporate a dory in there and you’ll be a fishing machine building God! Keep up the great work Roger.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”