Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:32:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayakers rescued from Columbia River near Sand Island  (Read 6023 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
This coverage quotes "an official" saying all four kayakers were wearing dry suits.

http://katu.com/news/local/kayakers-in-need-of-rescue-in-columbia-river-corbett-fire-says
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
without adequate thermal insulation inside the dry suit,  the suit is pointless.   Hopefully they learned that lesson.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I didn't see any details about what type of thermal/under clothing they were wearing, is that an assumption? 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:29:42 AM by Trident 13 »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
without adequate thermal insulation inside the dry suit,  the suit is pointless.   Hopefully they learned that lesson.

going commando in a dry suit, that would be nuts.   ;D ;D ;D
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Looks like it was as busy day on the water.  From the KGW video, sounds like the 4 folks near Rooster Rock were self-rescuing but after having rolled and recovered several times one of them starting showing signs of hypothermia so they called for help.  Big swells and lot of wind I guess.  Nothing more on the other two.  Wonder if the folks around Tomahawk were a rental?  When I lived aboard down there ~10 years ago I used to watch folks pretty close in the winter.  There's a surprising number of folks in small craft zipping around when it's still mighty cold and I don't remember seeing a lot of dry suits.

I saw the Coast Guard chopper fly up the river from my house yesterday.  The bushes in my front yard were whipping about like a tropical storm at the time.  Rough day to be on the water on a kayak.

http://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/four-kayakers-rescued-on-columbia-river/283-523230524

http://www.kxl.com/kayakers-rescued-columbia-willamette-rivers/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:48:31 AM by Wilfite »
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
interesting comment in the KGW video about the kayakers "being experienced and prepared".  Not likely either experienced or prepared if three of them went in the water and could not perform self-rescue or a coordinated group rescue in the water conditions at the time.  Curious as to what the one boater who remained in a kayak was doing.  Perhaps I'm being too harsh but its still winter time... ::)
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Having seen a lot of recreational kayakers in action, I think that most of them (a) don't have sufficient experience to evaluate the risk of the wind, waves, current, water and air temperature, and wind conditions they are venturing out into, and often paddle out in conditions which I consider excessively risky, (b) don't know what equipment they need, including but not limited to a pfd and a dry suit, to paddle safely, and (c) probably have no idea how to rescue themselves if they tip over, particularly if they are paddling in a sit-inside kayak.  And if you offer any suggestions or recommendations, they'll probably thing that you're a jerk.

jasperg

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
They spend upward of an hour in 39 degree water and walked away. If you think your gear fares better you are dangerously fooling yourself.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:15:47 AM by jasperg »

jasperg

• Herring
While I was not there,I am part of the local sea kayaking community and have picked up a few details on this incident:

This trip was led by one of the guides/instructors of a local outfitter with 15+ years of coastal kayaking experience. He is on the board of the Oregon Ocean Paddlers Society (OOPS) and functions as education coordinator for OOPS. He is working on a more detailed evaluation of what happened and will release that in due time. I do not know all involved, but would estimate those that I do to be at around or over an ACA skill Level 3.

From what I understand the incident started with an unexpected medical episode of one of the paddlers and she became unresponsive. The trip leader came out of his boat to provide first aid and call for rescue/medical assistance (this seems like an unorthodox decision but I wasn't there). 

Two other paddlers were crossing back from the Washington side when one of them came out of his boat. From what I understand, he was being towed to a safer place to initiate a rescue when they met up with the rescue boat.

In essence, it looks like the rescue action was initiated by a non paddling related medical condition, and then the decision was made to get everyone back on shore.

They spent upward of an hour in 39 degree water and walked away. I think they were dressed appropriately for the conditions.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:14:35 AM by jasperg »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
They spend upward of an hour in 39 degree water and walked away. If you think your gear fares better you are dangerously fooling yourself.

Whoa!  I didn't think anyone questioned whether or not this group was adequately insulated, alpalmer only said a dry suit is pointless without proper/adequate thermal layers as a general comment and I understood the second part to mean "and now they know why."  Here, here!

I guess this incident just shows us that even 15+ years of experience may not be enough on the Columbia.  Convinced me to keep my distance in the wintertime.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:56:58 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

I don’t think he’s fooling himself. In fact, he had hopes and they were apparently realized. If only we could all be so fortunate as to have hope fulfilled.

jasperg

• Herring
I guess this incident just shows us that even 15+ years of experience may not be enough on the Columbia.  Convinced me to keep my distance in the wintertime.

I am not sure I understand you correctly, how many years of paddling experience would have prevented a non-paddling related medical condition? I think the takeaway is that medical emergencies do happen and that we should be prepared for them. The trip leader was able to call for assistance and keep the victim alive, while neither he nor the others suffered more then mild hypothermia. I'd call that a job well done.

Winter can have great paddling conditions and water temperatures are often lower in spring due to snow-melt. Please look at actual data when making safety decisions!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:30:24 AM by jasperg »

jasperg

• Herring
I don’t think he’s fooling himself. In fact, he had hopes and they were apparently realized. If only we could all be so fortunate as to have hope fulfilled.

I have lost friends due to the false sense of security that can come from generalized statements so can be a bit reactive on the subject. Sorry if I was a bit harsh.

anything