Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kayak vs. Subaru- Fishing Trip Ruined  (Read 5345 times)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
The title and the picture should tell the story. In another thread, Capt. Redbeard referred to "the madness of AOTY". Having only been on the water  twice this year I had carefully planned an predawn departure to a water body that I knew had five AOTY species and was geared up for targeting them. The drive is fairly long so leaving well before daybreak was necessary to make the morning bite. I had experienced in said water body before. Long story short, my wife's Forrester was left parked outside in the spot I usually back into to turn and leave. Normally it's inside next to my pickup but I failed to note that today. The crunching sound and impact were totally unexpected as I was leaving. So, I've spent the rest of the morning calling body shops and insurance and picking up glass chips from the driveway. My old T-11 is totally unscathed as it punched out the glass of my wife's car and the corner of the tailgate of my pickup is also ok after having crumpled he hatch.

• Date Registered: Dec 2012
Ouch....kayak fishing is supposed to be a cheaper alternative!

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Ouch, Mamma's not happy :o  After narrowly avoiding a variety of incidents over time after the pre-night load I've learned to put my coffee in the car and then do a walk around to check all straps, take a look at tires, even if it's raining or nasty.  Don't know if that would have helped, but maybe...  I've backed up to the garage looking in the mirrors to unload and wanted to get under the overhang out of the rain.  My sea kayak sticks out further than the overhang and I was just spit lucky.  Good luck.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
OH NO, that is a total BUMMER. 
Don't think you get any AOTY points for "subaru" or "hatchback".

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Ouch!  That really sucks!

When I'm in the truck, I cannot see my wife's MINI and have come really close to hitting it a few times.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Oh no! Sorry man! The things we do for fish.  ;D

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
OH NO, that is a total BUMMER. 
Don't think you get any AOTY points for "subaru" or "hatchback".

might need a super sized hawg trough to document one of those.   ;D

stuff is stuff; people are people; and dogs are people (almost).  how can you be too upset when just stuff got damaged....  cheers, roger
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Quoting the great philosopher, Bill Engvall, "Here's your sign."
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

C_Run

• Sturgeon
Well, I was having a measure of solace from these comments ....up until Tinker came along.  >:(

So my multi-species AOTY coup didn't happen yet. The car will get fixed and I will soldier on.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I think everyone who kayaks will eventually have a similar type moment at some point in their kayaking careers. You're not alone!

I was visiting Hagg lake a few years ago and completely forgot my wheels... No problem, I have the kayak on the trailer, easy load out and in right?? Well the early morning launch was no problem with just another boater at the ramp, but in the afternoon it was a sea of boats coming and going and being in a kayak I am extra conscious of taking up ramp space, but the water level was quite low and I paid the entry fee so I was just entitled to use the ramp right?? Well I rushed as quickly as I could to load the kayak onto the trailer and figured I didn't need to strap it down as I was just heading to the top of the ramp to get out of the way. Sure enough when I stopped that damn kayak slid all the way forward and put a nice little dent into the back hatch of the car... lesson learned, at least throw one strap over the thing whenever you're moving it.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
I've been on the "subaru" end of this type of incident.  Fortunately, it was someone else that crunched my vehicle (easily forgivable).  I always feel WAY WORSE when I do costly damage to my own things.  Try not to be too hard on yourself...your wife probably wanted a newer car  ;D.

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
Did she come outside upon hearing the noise, or did you have to go tell her?
That would have been the hard part.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
Did she come outside upon hearing the noise, or did you have to go tell her?
That would have been the hard part.

It was about 4:45 AM and she had just been awake so I knew she heard. Once I pulled the pickup back in I headed to the house as she was coming out so I fessed up. Fortunately she took a "well at least you're OK" attitude and was surprisingly not mad. I was expecting mad. The body shop called and they found a used hatch they will have to paint. I'll just have to pay the deductible and we get it back in a few days. It still makes me feel like crap for having done it, though.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
You could have left a note and gone for the AOTY points....  >:D   

C_Run

• Sturgeon
You could have left a note and gone for the AOTY points....  >:D

Believe me, I did the right thing.

anything