Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Oregon Rockfish Classic Announcement  (Read 9226 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'm surprised And disappointed with this announcement.

A "meet up" is very different from a fishing tournament as far as inclusion of everyone that shares the kayak fishing passion and enjoys friendly competition.  Sure the camaraderie is there for both - at least for the people that are included in the meet-up invite or for those that choose to participate/volunteer for the tournament aspect (in my opinion, you get out what you put in).

ORC isn't like any other NWKA event.  Certainly not like a Hobuck "meet-up" (you're dreaming if you think Hobuck is an inclusive meetup that is open for anyone to attend). 

The primary reason I like the "organized events" of NWKA is that there is an openness and inclusion in a shared sport.  NWKA is also a great community to meet like minded kayak community members and is an opportunity to meet new friends and get together in more exclusive smaller groups (like hobuck).  The events tend to and need to have leadership and decent organization and communication.  I recognize that takes a LOT of work.  Doesn't sound like ORC will fit that bill anymore for being an NWKA event- and it will return to a smaller exclusive "meet up" for only those that are in the know.

Barb, the word Hobuck has been thrown around here like a bad apple, but in reality it's not "Hobuck" itself that gives the bad taste to some.  Halibut fishing at Hobuck is the issue, not Hobuck. 

If you ever make it up to Hobuck for any other gathering, you will see why Craig used it as a reference.  If you think the past years of ORC throws down a good Potluck, then you haven't seen anything yet.  Nothing is organized at all, it is laid back and things just fall into place.  Each and every time I've been to Hobuck I get to meet new faces, and even better, get to sample some really good food. 

Now I'm not saying ORC and Hobuck are ever going to be something equal to each other, as I would be silly trying to do so.   Hobuck is a LONG drive for sure, but has A LOT to offer a person that needs something more relaxing than what the tournament style ORC has been.  Has a more laid back approach, and lots of sitting around camp fires jaw jacking, making some great food, sharing what you make with each other.  It seems like there is non stop camaraderie amongst any and all attending, by  sharing beach wheels, swapping parts between kayaks, loaning gear after things break, fixing things for each other as things get broken, running into town for stuff like ice, beer, fingernail clippers, etc for anyone.  Nobody is outcasted like it is assumed so.

I think the simple gathering of like minded folks getting together for a weekend of fishing at Depoe Bay (or surrounding areas) rather than a full on tournament would give many of the newbies and shyer folks a chance to wander through camp and meet up with and chat with anyone that has a kayak visible at their camp.  The stress of trying to make camp with strangers with the lingering question of what time is everyone launching, who knows where to fish, or what lures will be best for a chance to win the tourney would be set aside to more open communication, as well as chillaxing with some new friends around campfires. 

After a refresher with simpler plans, maybe the ORC tourney will be revived and come back raging next year with a solid plan that even the tax man can't hinder.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

Here are some Ideas/Opportunities:

- Zach it sounds like you've already invested a bit of energy into figuring out how to create a non-profit LLC.  If you have the time, this could be instrumental in running future NWKA events (both ORC and others).

- Brian/Allen - Maybe we should set up a planning board in the forum where members can coordinate contest planning efforts.

- I'd like to suggest that anybody who wants to compete, show up at camp or the ramp with a crisp $50 bill.  We can throw the money in a pot and split it up as a cash payout for biggest fish/bag etc.  Somebody want to step up to coordinate this?

- We can do a collection or raffle to benefit either HOW or the Neighbors for Kids program in Depoe Bay.

What do you guys think?

-Mark-

Great ideas Mark.  I have been looking into the tax issue all morning.   I am wanting to set up an umbrella org that could cover multiple tournaments each year.  It will take me a few months and some sidejobs to pay for the fees- but i will look on getting that accomplished. 

I would be happy to help coordinate a sidepot for this year.  I will be at Chinnook Bend from Thursday-Sunday.  We could collect the sidepot entries friday night.  Must be back at camp at 3 to weight the fish?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:16:36 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
We can then work on getting competitions up for 2019.  I think ther eis just paper work we need to file to cover all future tourneys.  I am looking into that now.

Good on you, Zach!

Yes, that is an awesome way to step up and provide a solution!

Although I'm not in Oregon, or even within reasonable driving distance or Portland, I'm happy to help out with things for 2019.  Depending on how this all shakes out it may well impact the organization of the taco feed/potluck so I'll want to be involved for the sake of that aspect.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
We can then work on getting competitions up for 2019.  I think there is just paper work we need to file to cover all future tourneys.  I am looking into that now.

Good on you, Zach!

Although I'm not in Oregon, or even within reasonable driving distance or Portland, I'm happy to help out with things for 2019.  Depending on how this all shakes out it may well impact the organization of the taco feed/potluck so I'll want to be involved for the sake of that aspect.

Your potlucks are legendary!   You will be missed this year.  Hope you can make it next year.

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
We can then work on getting competitions up for 2019.  I think there is just paper work we need to file to cover all future tourneys.  I am looking into that now.

Good on you, Zach!

Your potlucks are legendary!   You will be missed this year.  Hope you can make it next year.

It's killing me not to go to Depoe Bay, but we're really struggling to pay for a lot of things that are also really important to us, and something had to give.  I've chosen to give up things for myself so my kids can get to do some fun stuff.

Should be in a much better position next year though.  Got several hooks in the water to get into a better work situation.
2012 ORC 5th Place

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Personally I'm stoked that this event can go back to what it was. In my view it just isn't reasonable to ask a few people to coordinate and bear the burdens of the event that the ORC has become.

One thing that always gets marginalized in the discussion about this event is liability. I know many will roll their eyes at me bringing this up again but it cannot be said enough. Almost every single year this event has seen a near miss incident which, thank the lucky stars, wasn't worse, but easily could have been. The reality is that the ocean in our region is a cold, unforgiving temptress and in my opinion, is no place for a massive event that welcomes so many participants who lack the requisite experience to navigate it safely. Whenever ANY kind of organization is conducted for an event, no matter how informal, liability becomes a concern. The question then becomes how much liability should the planner(s) be willing to accept? A couple dozen people doing a MBF during a camping and fishing trip is a big difference from a sponsored tournament with 130 competitors. And insurance doesn't prevent lawsuits from happening. It only serves as a POTENTIAL, not guaranteed protection in the event that a lawsuit arises. But I should mention that the fact that this must be considered is a natural consequence of our community growing, which is a good thing.

So I say let's all go camping and do some fishing while we're at it. Additional plans beyond that are best made around a campfire, not put in writing on a public forum, if you catch my drift.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:21:06 PM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
I see you, Langston. Don't even think about it!!   ::)

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
As anybody who has fished with me can attest, I am not a competitive fisherman. I attend tournaments for the camaraderie, so I am very happy with showing up Saturday and fishing for fun with friends (old, new and yet to be) and having a potluck afterwards. In fact, if that discourages the few people who are interested only in prizes, I will consider it am improvement. The friendships that started from attending NWKA activities are priceless to me.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
The good news is we can take some pressure off of the ramp by launching at Fogarty Creek .

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

Here are some Ideas/Opportunities:

- Zach it sounds like you've already invested a bit of energy into figuring out how to create a non-profit LLC.  If you have the time, this could be instrumental in running future NWKA events (both ORC and others).

- Brian/Allen - Maybe we should set up a planning board in the forum where members can coordinate contest planning efforts.

- I'd like to suggest that anybody who wants to compete, show up at camp or the ramp with a crisp $50 bill.  We can throw the money in a pot and split it up as a cash payout for biggest fish/bag etc.  Somebody want to step up to coordinate this?

- We can do a collection or raffle to benefit either HOW or the Neighbors for Kids program in Depoe Bay.

What do you guys think?

-Mark-

Great ideas Mark.  I have been looking into the tax issue all morning.   I am wanting to set up an umbrella org that could cover multiple tournaments each year.  It will take me a few months and some sidejobs to pay for the fees- but i will look on getting that accomplished. 

I would be happy to help coordinate a sidepot for this year.  I will be at Chinnook Bend from Thursday-Sunday.  We could collect the sidepot entries friday night.  Must be back at camp at 3 to weight the fish?

Great idea Zach.  I like being incorporated. I will gladly help and even front the money if necessary.  My biggest fear these last few years is someone I do not know showing up, getting hurt, and suing me.  I can retire in 4 years if I want.  But, not if I blew my savings on defending myself in a law suit.  I work with a lot of lawyers.  They all have told me I am stupid for opening myself up for the liability, but I rolled the dice because I enjoy the event and the people. 

The good news is we can take some pressure off of the ramp by launching at Fogarty Creek .

Shhhhhhhh!  That was my plan.
I'm surprised And disappointed with this announcement.

A "meet up" is very different from a fishing tournament as far as inclusion of everyone that shares the kayak fishing passion and enjoys friendly competition.  Sure the camaraderie is there for both - at least for the people that are included in the meet-up invite or for those that choose to participate/volunteer for the tournament aspect (in my opinion, you get out what you put in).

ORC isn't like any other NWKA event.  Certainly not like a Hobuck "meet-up" (you're dreaming if you think Hobuck is an inclusive meetup that is open for anyone to attend). 

The primary reason I like the "organized events" of NWKA is that there is an openness and inclusion in a shared sport.  NWKA is also a great community to meet like minded kayak community members and is an opportunity to meet new friends and get together in more exclusive smaller groups (like hobuck).  The events tend to and need to have leadership and decent organization and communication.  I recognize that takes a LOT of work.  Doesn't sound like ORC will fit that bill anymore for being an NWKA event- and it will return to a smaller exclusive "meet up" for only those that are in the know.
Barb, in no way is their any intention of making the ORC exclusive.  I wish there was a larger facility to handle the traffic so we could allow more participants.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:40:55 PM by craig »

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Thank you for the updates Craig.  I have a lot of respect for you guys taking time out of your lives to put something like ORC together for so many others to enjoy.  Judging from the replies on this thread, it sounds like a path is being cleared to make next year's ORC one for the ages!

Despite ORC not being a 'tournament' this year, I still plan on fishing on July 7th.  Instead of targeting bottomfish, I'll likely troll around for coho and may try for inshore Pac halibut if the conditions are conducive for it.  Would be cool to have a crew trolling or drifting for halibut.  I also plan on visiting the campground and hanging with some of NWKA's finest.

At least I don't have to worry about being de-throned as ORC champ for another year  :laugh:.
aMayesing Bros.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
As anybody who has fished with me can attest, I am not a competitive fisherman. I attend tournaments for the camaraderie, so I am very happy with showing up Saturday and fishing for fun with friends (old, new and yet to be) and having a potluck afterwards. In fact, if that discourages the few people who are interested only in prizes, I will consider it am improvement. The friendships that started from attending NWKA activities are priceless to me.

Dilly Dilly!!   :headbang:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Personally I'm stoked that this event can go back to what it was. In my view it just isn't reasonable to ask a few people to coordinate and bear the burdens of the event that the ORC has become.

One thing that always gets marginalized in the discussion about this event is liability. I know many will roll their eyes at me bringing this up again but it cannot be said enough. Almost every single year this event has seen a near miss incident which, thank the lucky stars, wasn't worse, but easily could have been. The reality is that the ocean in our region is a cold, unforgiving temptress and in my opinion, is no place for a massive event that welcomes so many participants who lack the requisite experience to navigate it safely. Whenever ANY kind of organization is conducted for an event, no matter how informal, liability becomes a concern. The question then becomes how much liability should the planner(s) be willing to accept? A couple dozen people doing a MBF during a camping and fishing trip is a big difference from a sponsored tournament with 130 competitors. And insurance doesn't prevent lawsuits from happening. It only serves as a POTENTIAL, not guaranteed protection in the event that a lawsuit arises. But I should mention that the fact that this must be considered is a natural consequence of our community growing, which is a good thing.

So I say let's all go camping and do some fishing while we're at it. Additional plans beyond that are best made around a campfire, not put in writing on a public forum, if you catch my drift.

As accurate as you are with all that, I would say that you must "work" for a lawyer or something?  ;)

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I will absolutely be there to fish on the 7th, probably the 6th too.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com

As accurate as you are with all that, I would say that you must "work" for a lawyer or something?  ;)

Close enough. :D

Also, I don't see why we couldn't coordinate a potluck.

2011 Angler Of The Year