Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:54:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Looking for a recommendation - Second kayak for fishing  (Read 5063 times)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Trying to gather some opinions of the collective group.  I currently have a little fleet of boats:

- Hobie tandem Island
- WS ATAK 140
- WS Pungo 120
- WS Tsunami 140

Before I got the Hobie, the ATAK was my go-to fishing rig when I am out by myself.  When my wife and I go paddling we take the two SINKs (the Pungo and the Tsunami).  I've done some trout fishing and bass fishing out of the Pungo isn't bad, but it certainly falls behind as far as comfort and roominess goes.   

Since getting the Hobie, I haven't taken out the ATAK.  The ATAK is a beast at 93 lbs and a pain to load on the car and move.  It's so easier to just take the trailer out with the Hobie and launch it, even if I am not going to sail.  So thinking of selling the ATAK and funding a lighter fishing rig, mostly for bass and panfish fishing.  I would still do all my salmon and kokanee trolling from the Hobie.  It would be nice to have something that could keep up with the Pungo so I could use it on casual paddles with the wife. 

Thinking I may have a few options:

- WS Tarpon 120 could fit the bill as its "only" 63 lbs and it seems to get good reviews as far as speed goes. 
- The perception pescador pro is only 64 lbs and has the frame seat which is definitely nice.  It apparently is just an older Tarpon that has been modified
- The cheapest option would be to just modify the Pungo to be a little bit better fishing rig (more rod holders and rig up the FF).

Curious if anyone has thoughts on that or would recommend another light weight SOT that has speed or a potential SINK that they like. 

Thanks!

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
It sounds like light weight is important to you.  The Hurricane Sweetwater 126 is 52lbs.  Looks like a cool little boat, no idea how it paddles or fishes.  I'm guessing it will be faster than the pungo.

Shin09

• Salmon
Weight and speed are the important things here.  I think I would try to make this my primary rec kayak and just let the wife use the Pungo.  Those Hurricane kayaks look pretty nice, but dayum they are spendy.  At that price WS makes a Tarpon 120 Ultralite that is only 43 lbs and looks to be made from similar thermoform material.

The jackson Killroy actually looks like it could be a good fit too. 66 lbs. (or 56 if you get the LT) Comfy seat. Lots of fishing features but still a decently fast hull

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Have you looked at a Jackson Kraken, I haven’t so I sure if the weight.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Shin09

• Salmon
Kraken is 72lbs w/o seat so save 20 lb over my ATAK which isnt bad. Looks narrower/sleeker too. 

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Check out the Hurricane Skimmer 128 (47 lbs) or 140 (52 lbs) for a lightweight fishing SOT.  Next Adventure has them.  If I ever go back to a rigid hull paddle SOT they would be on my short list. 

Daniel

no_oil_needed

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2013
If you're only after bass and panfish, I think modifying what you have is the best idea if you like your Pungo. It'll give you an idea what you really want from a dedicated calm water boat, and it's the cheapest option as you mentioned. Also the second best suggestion I have read on this forum continues to be to go out and test the boats.

FWIW I personally like single person canoes for calm water angling. You can get REALLY light for a price and they use to have more comfortable seats than SOTs.
Relax. You'll live longer.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Shin
If you're looking for a new lighter weight SOT, look at the Eddyline Carribean . It fights your requirements nicely.

Understand the weight issue regarding the heavier boats and being a PITA to load and unload. How are you transporting your non Hobies? And have you considered changing your style of cradles to the Yakima cradles with the springs and gas pistons if you car top? That alone might make all the difference for you
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Shin09

• Salmon
Thinking I will stick with the Pungo but add a few flush mount rod holders or rocket launchers on Ram balls as rod storage is the hardest part if I am bringing more than 1 rod.   Those Eddyline boats look really nice though.  Guess I'll see what I can get for my ATAK and go from there about future upgrades. 

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Definitely check out the Yakima assistance cradles. I've got a really jacked up back and have been eyeing them for some time. Problem is, I got no way to attach them to my truck.
Good thoughts regarding the mods to the pungo. Have always thought it gets too readily dismissed because it's a recreational SinK. I know of two Hobie drivers who fished Chambers Creek here with them and did better than those of us with SoTs.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Shin09

• Salmon
Those load assist racks are pretty nice for sure.  Getting the sit-ins on top of the car with J-racks is pretty easy, and honestly my system for getting the ATAK on to the roof inst terrible.  It's more with the ATAK getting it out of the backyard, through the gate and to the car.  Then dragging it around at the launch can also be a pain.   

The only REAL downside with the pungo is my back starts to cramp after a while sitting in the same position.  Its a bit older model with an older seat so wondering if I could get new padding for it. 

You're right about it being underrated a bit.  I had it when I first started fishing (for rec stuff not fishing) and wasn't sure if I wanted to invest in a nice sit-on.  Not that I caught one, but I was trying to salmon fish out of it and as long as you had your ducks in a row with your setup, it was totally doable. 

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
If you want a fishing kayak, I recommend that you get a pedal kayak.

Here's my experience.  I have 33 years of whitewater kayaking experience.  I started kayak fishing from a 13' Ocean Kayak Trident, which is a good SOT paddle kayak.  Then a friend bought a Hobie Outback.  I tried it, and was instantly sold on the advantages of pedal kayaks for fishing.  I bought a Hobie Revolution, and now my Trident languishes in my garage.  I do all of my fishing from the Revolution, except for fishing in shallow rivers where I don't want to risk my Mirage Drive, and spearfishing. 

The advantage of a SOT pedal kayak for fishing is that it leaves both hands free to fish, eat lunch, put on sun tan lotion, or whatever, while you wander around on the water.  You can troll all day without getting tired arms.  You can point your nose into the wind and/or current and hold yourself stationary over the bottom while jigging or casting. It's a lot easier to outfit a SOT kayak for fishing with rod holders, fish finder, net, cooler, etc. than it is to outfit a sit-inside kayak. SOT kayaks are also a lot safer than sit-inside kayaks, because if you get dumped out of a sit-on-top kayak, you can just roll it upright and climb back onto it.  If you get dumped over in a sit-inside kayak and end up swimming away from shore, you are in a lot of trouble.  You probably won't be able to get the kayak drained and to get back in it while you're out on the water unless you have assistance from a couple of experienced kayakers.

There are a lot of pedal drive sit-on-top kayaks on the market.  The Revolution and the Outback are excellent kayaks for fishing, and I recommend both of them.  The only disadvantage of those kayaks is that Hobie is way behind practically all other manufacturers in outfitting their kayaks with gear tracks and other accessories for fishing.  You have to add all of that gear yourself.  Fishing kayaks from almost all other manufacturers come outfitted with that stuff from the factory  People who own pedal kayaks from other manufacturers can provide you with the pros and cons of those kayaks, and of propeller drives versus Mirage Drives.

Shin09

• Salmon
I hear ya! I have a Hobie TI that I have been using for fishing, sailing and just having fun.  Trolling with the pedals is absolutely an upgrade over paddling, and makes it much much much easier to run 2 rods.  Downside? Its a big a$$ boat that needs a boat ramp to launch.  Also, it sucks at nimble, tight maneuvers.  Like I said in my first post, I dont think I have touched my ATAK since I bought it (actually I take that back, I used it to float for steelhead once).   But, my wife and I like to just go for paddle trips and there is something to be said of an easy car-toppper that doesnt weigh much.  Outbacks and Revo would have too much overlap with the TI plus are still pretty heavy.  I appreciate the suggestion though!   Like I mentioned above, I think I am going to just try to make the Pungo work out for the quick trips when I dont want to take the TI out. 

IdahoSkies

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
If you end up being dissatisfied with the Pugo, check out Malibu's line of fishing kayaks. I have fished the Stealth-12 for years and love it.  They all weigh upper 50s to low 60s in weight, and handle and track like champs. 

https://malibukayaks.com/kayaks/fishing/

If you can handle how a short boat turns (not my personal favorite) the stealth-9 is only 42#s, and still has the livewell/bait tank and side hatches of the larger models, and the transducer mounting space on the hull. 

But all of the 12-14 foot boats are pretty nice, though you do have to use a paddle.