Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:36:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Would You Bite? Used Trident 13/with rudder under $600  (Read 4896 times)

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I've been trolling the want-ads for an entry level fishing kayak.  I was looking for a Prowler 13 or a Tarpon 140,  but I just found this T13.  It looks to be a relatively recent model.  Online,  it looks like a good yak.  Would $550 to $600 be a decent deal?  I've read the comments about the yak.   
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
If it's in decent shape, $600 is a steal.  I've been fishing T13's for the last 10 years.  I've even caught a couple of fish from them.

-Mark-
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:15:16 AM by Spot »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

kaz

• Perch
Thanks Mark. I have probably read most of the NWKA comments about the T13.  I've even read the yak fishing  forums in TX, FL, CA...The consensus is pretty clear. 

The seller's photos were not very clear, but the yak appears to be in good shape.  I'll confirm the condition tomorrow.  I was considering a Prowler 15,  but I'm try to keep it simple and manageable.  I can probably load the T13 into the back of my F150 (8' bed). 

I was hoping to find an economical deal.  As I price new gear...I'll need every penny I can save.  Drysuit-on the way (still need booties),  paddle coming,  looking for a lifejacket/vest tomorrow.  The list never ends.   I hope I'll be able to ask you for advice about rigging.  I've done research,  but I'm sure that there will be issues. 

Thank, kaz.   

Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I would say that $600 is a very good deal if the yak is in reasonably good shape.  I have one of the first T13's to arrive in the PNW in mid 2008 and even though I have two Hobies, I have no plans of dropping my T13 from my yak stash.

It will ride just fine in the back of the F150.  I hauled mine in the back of my '97 Tacoma (6ft bed), until I built a rack over the bed.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Yeah, it's a good deal.  Just suggesting you ask for some good pictures to feel confident it doesn't have UV damage.

I had a Hobie Revo and got rid of it when I finally found a good T13.  Better boat - just ask Mark!   >:D
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

kaz

• Perch
I would say that $600 is a very good deal if the yak is in reasonably good shape.  I have one of the first T13's to arrive in the PNW in mid 2008 and even though I have two Hobies, I have no plans of dropping my T13 from my yak stash.

It will ride just fine in the back of the F150.  I hauled mine in the back of my '97 Tacoma (6ft bed), until I built a rack over the bed.

Hey INSANE, 

Just  came back, and I bought the T13.  This T13 is from 2012.  It looks good.  We filled it with water to test for leaks,  and all went well.  We even tested the rudder.   Originally listed for for $800;  the selling price was only $500.  The seller threw in a cheap paddle (will be my back-up),  and some yak roof mounts.  It looks like I have a new hobby! 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

kaz

• Perch
Yeah, it's a good deal.  Just suggesting you ask for some good pictures to feel confident it doesn't have UV damage.

I had a Hobie Revo and got rid of it when I finally found a good T13.  Better boat - just ask Mark!   >:D

Hey Tinker,  instead of good pics,  I went over from Kitsap County  (to south Seattle) for a real inspection.  The yak has seen some use,  but according to the seller  it's been sitting on a covered rack for 2 years (2012 model).  The only major purchase left is a new FF.  Since I got a great deal on a GUL drysuit ($275-1/2 price of sale price),  and a yak ($500) I will only have spent about $1000 (I have ALL the fishing/camping gear).  I'm trying to keep it simple and painless.  Now all I have to do is some cleanup,  and rigging.  I'll also have to learn...how not to drown.  I'm even planning on taking a paddling class.   
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Do it! Though I never used mine after I got my revo.I still kick myself for selling it. Sold it the next day after posting for 750. There are some things that revo just can't do anywhere close to what the trident can. They are a way drier ride, faster, glide 10x farther, never had water in the hull, goes over waves instead of wedging through them. That said I still love my revo because I troll 99% of the time.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

kaz

• Perch
Do it! Though I never used mine after I got my revo.I still kick myself for selling it. Sold it the next day after posting for 750. There are some things that revo just can't do anywhere close to what the trident can. They are a way drier ride, faster, glide 10x farther, never had water in the hull, goes over waves instead of wedging through them. That said I still love my revo because I troll 99% of the time.

Hey yaktastic,  even when I fish out of my 17' outboard,  I've always preferred to mooch for salmon,  and I like bottom fishing best.  As a kid I always fished with bait (especially live bait) and some things never change.  My favorite rig for Neah Bay/bottom fishing is a drop sinker, and  a hunk of bait (usually herring with a fish belly trailer).  Somehow,  I was never a great troller. 

Anyway,  I'm glad to hear another positive comment about Tridents.  Next week I'm going on a trial run in a nearby pond.  Can't wait!
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Hey INSANE, 

Just  came back, and I bought the T13.  This T13 is from 2012.  It looks good.  We filled it with water to test for leaks,  and all went well.  We even tested the rudder.   Originally listed for for $800;  the selling price was only $500.  The seller threw in a cheap paddle (will be my back-up),  and some yak roof mounts.  It looks like I have a new hobby!

Very cool.

Take your time on buying your FF.  If you don't need color, touch screen, down or side imaging then I would highly suggest trying to find a used Eagle Cuda 250 or 350.  They are pretty much the same unit where I think the body color is the only difference between them.

The Eagle Cuda is very good on battery life,  waterproof, easy to setup and use, as well as fits really good under the Sonar Shield of the T13.  I found my second one on Ebay for something like $60 including shipping.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hey, Kaz, good idea to do a leak test.  This is actually another endorsement for the Trident (albeit a weird one).  The first T13 I owned had a leak where the molds didn't quite fit together properly during manufacture and I didn't test for leaks until AFTER its first journey - and after it took on a lot of water.  Other than having to paddle harder to keep up, neither I nor the folks with me could tell I was hauling 80 pounds of water with me until I reached the beach and tried to pull it uphill to the parking area.

And OK arranged for a replacement.

I own two, a T11 and the T13.  They're a great first kayak - and just as good for your last kayak, too.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

kaz

• Perch
Hey, Kaz, good idea to do a leak test.  This is actually another endorsement for the Trident (albeit a weird one).  The first T13 I owned had a leak where the molds didn't quite fit together properly during manufacture and I didn't test for leaks until AFTER its first journey - and after it took on a lot of water.  Other than having to paddle harder to keep up, neither I nor the folks with me could tell I was hauling 80 pounds of water with me until I reached the beach and tried to pull it uphill to the parking area.

And OK arranged for a replacement.

I own two, a T11 and the T13.  They're a great first kayak - and just as good for your last kayak, too.

If I recall correctly,  you mentioned your problems with a T13 on another post about Tridents.  That recollection occurred to me  when I was inspecting the used T13 prior to sale.  That's why I insisted on a leak-test.  The comments at NWKA have been a great  source of info for me.  This week,   I'm taking the T13 to Buck Lake for an,  on-the-water  trial run. 

The user reviews at sites like paddling.com were not helpful.  Too many reviewers  were not dedicated fishermen,  and many of the commenters were only concerned about...Stability.   The kayak fishing forums like NWKA and those from Florida, TX and CA were much more applicable. 

BTW: Did you mount your transducer in the scupper,  or did you opt for a thru-hull mount?  I understand that the scupper-mount might allow for slightly better sonar reception,  but has the downside of risking transducer damage.  The thru-hull approach seems safer.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

kaz

• Perch

Hey INSANE, 

Very cool.

Take your time on buying your FF.  If you don't need color, touch screen, down or side imaging then I would highly suggest trying to find a used Eagle Cuda 250 or 350.  They are pretty much the same unit where I think the body color is the only difference between them.

The Eagle Cuda is very good on battery life,  waterproof, easy to setup and use, as well as fits really good under the Sonar Shield of the T13.  I found my second one on Ebay for something like $60 including shipping.

I'll definitely take a  look at the Eagle Cudas.  When I fished with my outboard the GPS/mapping/chart plotting was useful.  I took my 17' outboard from Bellingham to the San Juan Islands (20+ miles) in the dark for salmon fishing.  However,  I imagine that most of my kayak fishing will be more...local. 

I was planning on mounting the FF under the Sonar Shield,  but I'm marginally near-sighted.  I  must make sure that I can  read the screen from the seat.   A bigger question is the best location for the transducer.  Did you use the designated scupper,  or did you mount the transducer in the hull? 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I've always shot through the hull.  Never had a problem with doing so. 

One thing to note, the scupper hole that is sonar ready is actually a very vital scupper hole for quick drainage of surf zone lap water.  With it plugged with a sonar, it won't drain as fast as you would like and things get tippy due to top heavyness.

The Eagle Cuda won't be found in any store shy of maybe a Goodwill, but can be found on EBay.  The numbers for depth, time, speed, temp, etc can be set to your visual preference.

kaz

• Perch
Originally,  having struggled with transducers  on my outboard (2 were snapped-off while launching/loading in rough water) I thought the scupper mount was a great  addition.  However,  I'm strongly leaning towards the thru-hull mount,  and I see your point that blocking a scupper is not wise.  This T13 came with a battery bag suspended in the front hatch.  That looks like a good place for a transducer. 

My brother (Pescador Pilot 12) has suggested a few inexpensive FFs.  I've just started to scan the market in classifieds.   I'll keep an eye out for Eagle Cudas. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14