Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:01:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Future of the Oregon Rockfish Classic  (Read 5894 times)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
As I understand it the problem is with paypal issuing 1099-misc forms once a particular threshold of transactions or dollar amount has been crossed.  Gimme shelter does not deal in paypal.

I keep telling you that PayPal is evil...

You know about my bad experience with PP.  I don't use unless I have literally no other option.  I'd far rather receive a check in the mail.  A lot of millennials don't write checks.  Or use the mail for that matter.  I get that both things will probably be ancient relics of the distant past soon enough, but if the future is PayPal then the future can wait.

Hardly any millenials use Paypal unless otherwise required. Most "kids these days" are using venmo or the "Cash" app. The later being my favorite as there's no fee's, it's immediate and super easy to send and receive funds.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Many people have suggested option 3.  NA or Outdoor Play have been mentioned. What about turning it over to Hobie?  They would be a great lead sponsor and have shown the  ability to run fishing tournaments of this size or larger.  The Hobie event videos I've watched look like well run operations.  Having a Hobie Worlds qualifier in the PNW would be of interest to me.

All payment types are going to have issues.  Venmo is a subsidiary of PayPal and had a large data issue last year. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:47:44 AM by snopro »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Lot's of good feedback and responses here.  I'd like to address a few..

Why not incorporate NWKA as the non-profit? 
Well, because it's not really ours to incorporate it belongs to Allen "PolePole". He's down in California these days and currently he uses ad revenue from the forum keeps the forum and AOTY alive.   Last I talked to him about this he seemed like he wanted to avoid the paperwork headache that non-profit status would create.    That said, he doesn't own AOTY or ORC. We could incorporate some other over arching non-profit that just does our tournaments and we could potentially also include Roy's Sunset Bay tournament and Jed's Brownlee shootout as well if they are interested.   It's a lot of paperwork and probably someone's part time job keeping up on all that.

PayPal issues.... 
I looked into this more.  PayPal is required to send out 1099's if you bring in > $20000 in sales.  That isn't me.   However, that doesn't mean I don't need to report that income anyway.   Well, actually it's a gray area, one where I could probably get away with it and never be audited, but I'm not one to take those kinds of chances.   In the past it was simple... claim the income, claim the deductions above my standard deduction and it was basically a wash. 
PayPal also charges a fee for transactions.  For each $40 entry fee about $2 of it goes to PayPal.

A clarification on Option #1....
This is what we've been doing. This is what almost all tournaments do.  However, I think the idea was that we'd for a completely NEW committee, one that didn't have the tax and safety concerns I have (now that I'm getting old) and might run this blindly like we did for the first seven years or so.  That said, we will have some form of NWKA ORC committee no matter which option we run with.  Even if we bring in some outside help from a major sponsor, we'd like to have a committee participating in decisions being made.

At this point, it seems like pursuing a large sponsor that would help with things like handling the money for us and other logistics is still a decent option and one that nobody has completely shot down.  It also seems like there is still interest from some of you of having a hand it making sure that ORC 2019 happens. 

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
crash, who "runs" Gimme Shelter?  Perhaps we could ask them a few questions about how they hold it together.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I've been in touch with most of the NCKA tournament organizers over the past couple years.  Basically nobody bothers with insurance or worries about tax issues.  However, they asked me to let them know what I found out about those things.

Basically, I'm just getting old and worry about these things.  It doesn't help that a previous ORC committee member is married to a lawyer and brought these issues up.  Going through the ACA for insurance helped with the one issue for me and simply claiming the income and subsequent donations helped with the other in the past.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Many people have suggested option 3.  NA or Outdoor Play have been mentioned. What about turning it over to Hobie?  They would be a great lead sponsor and have shown the  ability to run fishing tournaments of this size or larger.  The Hobie event videos I've watched look like well run operations.  Having a Hobie Worlds qualifier in the PNW would be of interest to me.

All payment types are going to have issues.  Venmo is a subsidiary of PayPal and had a large data issue last year. 

When we had the Hobie world qualifier here in 2014, it looked like it was Hobie sponsored, but they pretty much didn't give us a thing other than the crappy cloth shopping bag type captain's bags, nor did they help out in any way that I can recall.  Thankfully, Next Adventure gave us the boat last minute when it was found out Hobie did not provide them. Thank you again Next Adventure!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I've been in touch with most of the NCKA tournament organizers over the past couple years.  Basically nobody bothers with insurance or worries about tax issues.  However, they asked me to let them know what I found out about those things.

Basically, I'm just getting old and worry about these things.  It doesn't help that a previous ORC committee member is married to a lawyer and brought these issues up.  Going through the ACA for insurance helped with the one issue for me and simply claiming the income and subsequent donations helped with the other in the past.

Thank you, Brian.  Those NCKA guys can be a devil-may-care bunch  :angel:  It must be difficult for those who organize ORC - I'd bet you haven't finished cleaning and stowing your gear before you're thinking about the next year's ORC, and having concerns about personal liability and these tax issues tossed into the mix has to have made it even more difficult on you guys.  If no one with fresh ideas and a lot of youthful stamina wants to accept the hurdles and challenges ORC now presents, perhaps it's time to select #4 and let it devolve into a formally informal get-together.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
The 2018 ORC was basically a fish and chill event.  Just those with a laid back perspective on the whole thing gathering to do some fishing and share stories.  Probably my favorite year since the original 2008 event when 12 of us gathered at Pacific City.  Well minus the part where I felt bad for cancelling the competition part.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Anyone explore making ORC an "official" HOW Fundraiser to handle the insurance and tax/non-profit issue?

Perhaps HOW HQ can offer insights and having them as the beneficiary could draw more sponsor interest.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
The 2018 ORC was basically a fish and chill event.  Just those with a laid back perspective on the whole thing gathering to do some fishing and share stories.  Probably my favorite year since the original 2008 event when 12 of us gathered at Pacific City.  Well minus the part where I felt bad for cancelling the competition part.

But the competition part is what's causing the problem(s) right now.  Take it back to it's roots and if folks want it to evolve again, at least there won't be the same pre-existing expectations to deal with.

(Suggested by some asshat named Tinker who's never been to an ORC)   :banjo:

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Anyone explore making ORC an "official" HOW Fundraiser to handle the insurance and tax/non-profit issue?

Perhaps HOW HQ can offer insights and having them as the beneficiary could draw more sponsor interest.

I did quite a bit of research on it last year and it is not too difficult of a process.  It does require some funding.  I do not own any rights to NWKA/ORC so for me to incorporate it (required for non profit) would not be fair/legal.

I did like the fish and chill but wouldnt mind adding larger side bets for people who are interested.  This just seems like a waste of a great opportunity for a charity to benefit.  Hopefully we can get a sponsor signed and the event continues.

In my limited experience at these events-- the event is what you make it to be.  Some people let their competitive juices get in the way but i always go with the mindset of wantingto learn and meeto new people.   Last year was great because thats what it seemd liek everyone was there for.  However havingthe tournament is a ton of fun and a great way to bring in new people.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

I did like the fish and chill but wouldnt mind adding larger side bets for people who are interested.  This just seems like a waste of a great opportunity for a charity to benefit.  Hopefully we can get a sponsor signed and the event continues.

I think this is the biggest thing missing from a fish and chill type event. Sure you could send around a coffee can for donations or something, but it's not going to be the same and certainly not going to raise the level of participation or funds(which is fine if folks want that.)

I could be in the minority in thinking so, but I think the competition aspect is what draws a lot of folks to the whole thing. I had planned on attending ORC with site booked and everything but cancelled once the event was cancelled (at least in the event format.)
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I could be in the minority in thinking so, but I think the competition aspect is what draws a lot of folks to the whole thing. I had planned on attending ORC with site booked and everything but cancelled once the event was cancelled (at least in the event format.)
You're not alone.  The competition aspect is what'll get me to target bottomfish during the heat of ocean salmon season.

Speaking of which, it'd be really cool to incorporate salmon into the competition.  It might not jive with the title of the event, but maybe it could be a side bet type of thing?
aMayesing Bros.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
You're not alone.  The competition aspect is what'll get me to target bottomfish during the heat of ocean salmon season.

Speaking of which, it'd be really cool to incorporate salmon into the competition.  It might not jive with the title of the event, but maybe it could be a side bet type of thing?

Yeah I'm not going to Depoe Bay for a F&C unless I already happen to be in the area.  Which happens often enough that time of year, but last year was going to be my 3rd weekend out of 4 going to the north coast so once I could see the writing on the wall that the competition wasn't happening I made plans to go salmon fishing on the Rogue instead.

Like Clayman, I too enjoy the AOTD mixed bag format for fishing tournaments.  Not going to hold my breath though.  But I for sure won't be coming to ORC that is anything less than a competitive tournament.  I'll fish with you PDX guys at the sturgeon social instead.

anything