Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:02:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Angler of the Year 2019 (AOTY)  (Read 28098 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Thanks Lauren,

I really like the new setup...

1.) Direct donation to HOW.. cuts out the middle man (i.e. me) and allows people who can take itemized deductions to deduct this donation for themselves.

2.) HOW should see a spike in activity from the Pacific Northwest area.  Granted they won't get that big check all at once from NWKA at the end of the year, but sometimes having more in smaller donations is better for non-profits.

3.) Increased points for panfish.

4.) Shad!  --- I jokingly asked for tarpon... but I'll take these micro-versions.   It's a really underrated fishery that more people should take advantage of.   I'd love to see some Umpqua shad reports this year.   They make great sport, great bait, and they taste great smoked and canned.

5.) Youth AOTY... if you have a kid, take them kayak fishing and enter them into the youth AOTY. It's free with your adult AOTY registration and a great way to get kids interested in the sport.  Also someone needs to knock my son Owen off the AOTY thrown for once.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks Brian, and thank you for all that you do for AOTY! For those of you who don't know, Brian authored and rebuilt the entire AOTY system and he's the guy I bother with questions. We wouldn't be doing this without him.

I will modify the top post, but another note: THE GRACE PERIOD ENDS FEBRUARY 7. You have 2 weeks from now to get registered if you want to enter fish that were caught before now.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:56:32 PM by Captain Redbeard »

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Hdpwipmonkey has entered the first fish of 2019 with a hefty greenling.  Good luck everyone.

Jimbob45

• If you don’t take that first step to the next adventure, you’ll never go anywhere.
  • Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Best of luck everyone!  Looking forward to some awesome fish being posted up.
Hobie outback
Hobie Pro Angler

1st  2018 Chum Derby
1st 2018 AOTY 1966 pts

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

I've signed up again although I'm not sure why, unless it's just my quest for even tinier fish.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I've signed up again although I'm not sure why, unless it's just my quest for even tinier fish.

Reclaim your Tiny Fish crown! Best of luck.

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Woah! There's a tiny fish crown? I'm in on that one. Maybe my talent of catching fish smaller than the lure that I'm using will finally come in handy!  ;D

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Woah! There's a tiny fish crown? I'm in on that one. Maybe my talent of catching fish smaller than the lure that I'm using will finally come in handy!  ;D

For 2018 there was a tiny trophy, a prize bag including a gift cert for Outdoorplay, and other goodies. Get in on it!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I'm excited to announce that Next Adventure has confirmed they are backing us for another year! Check out the Paddle Sports Center for all your kayak and SUP needs. Also they put on regular seminars to get you started or take your skills to the next level.

THANK YOU NEXT ADVENTURE!

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Just want to wish everyone good luck this year. I'm going to fish harder and try to place a little higher this year so watch out ;) As an added incentive to sign up and fish, I will be throwing down a special prize for the 2019 winner. Looking in to a couple of things but I guarantee it will be pretty cool, you will want to win it. Hope to see you guys on the water. jed

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I'm seeing a lot of new user names coming through - I love it! Apologies if it takes me a day or two to get you set up - I'll try to do it within a couple of days in most cases. Don't let that keep you from fishing! The date on your HOW donation is your start date, regardless of when I make it official.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Thank you to those who have been posting their prizes up on social media - much appreciated!

rustyski

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Question about the Tiny Fish Slam...How are the points calculated?  I have a different point total for the tiny fish than I do the overall board, with the same two fish.  Curious is all.
Boats:
2019 Hobie Outback

Event Finishes:
2020 AOTY 5th Place
2020 Tiny Fish Slam Winner
2019 Tiny Fish Slam 2nd

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Question about the Tiny Fish Slam...How are the points calculated?  I have a different point total for the tiny fish than I do the overall board, with the same two fish.  Curious is all.

If I remember correctly it is 200 points - your entry points = tiny fish points.

There may be some filtering for excluding fish that are over 200 points or something like that as well.