Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: AOTY 2018 - Wrap-up and Congrats and Prizes  (Read 2352 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
AOTY 2018 MAIN EVENT CHAMPION: Jimbob45

Jimbob45 - Champion - Grand Prize Provided by Next Adventure: $500 gift certificate, and Outdoorplay: $50 gift certificate and winner's bag, and Big Hammer Baits
And then, in the eleventh year as prophesied, a newcomer appeared and earned the crown... Way to go Jimbob45! I think I've mentioned it plenty of other places but it's not going to stop me from doing it again - have you guys seen the walleye he posted?! What an awesome run in 2018. I expect big things in 2019! He's also hosting the Tricity Kayak Angler's Winter Walleye Social on February 9th - check it out: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=21123.0

jed - 2nd Place - Prize Provided by NEMRods: custom fishing rod, and Big Hammer Baits, and Lancer Jigs
4th in 2016, 2nd in 2017, and now 2nd in 2018 - consistency, loving the grind, or just plain lucky? Well I've seen this guy fish and it's more than luck. He's another living example that inland guys can get the job done (and make it look easy). Another awesome year, Jed! For those of you who don't know, Jed organizes the Brownlee Crappie Shootout - you can find more info here: https://www.facebook.com/BrownleeCrappieShootout/

Casey - 3rd Place - Prize Provided by RAM: Tough-Pole camera mount, and Big Hammer Baits, and Lancer Jigs
Speaking of loving the grind, does anyone fish harder than Casey? 4th in 2017, 3rd in 2018, it seems like the trajectory is clear. Those of you who have met Casey know he's a stand-up guy, and really nice to boot, but don't let that fool you, he's a cold-blooded fish killer and he won't let up until his goals are met. Fish hard in 2019, Casey!

4th - BasinKayakGuy - Skwoosh Big Catch Fishing Seat, and Hoo-Rag trucker hat, and Big Hammer Baits, and Lancer Jigs
5th - Jrob - IceMule Pro Catch cooler, and RAM track mount paddle holder, and Big Hammer Baits, and Lancer Jigs
6th - Nobaddays - Skwoosh Fishing Chair Seat Pad, and Stealth QR-1 rod holder, and Big Hammer baits, and Lancer jigs
7th - uplandsandpiper - Skwoosh Fishing Chair Seat Pad, and Stealth QR-1 rod holder, and Big Hammer baits, and Lancer jigs
8th - smokeyangler - Skwoosh Fishing Chair Seat Pad, and Hoo-Rag trucker hat, and Big Hammer baits, and Lancer jigs
9th - Captain Redbeard - Skwoosh Fishing Chair Seat Pad, and Big Hammer baits
10th - Ashley - Skwoosh Fishing Chair Seat Pad, and Kokatat trucker hat, and Big Hammer baits, and Lancer jigs

Osteves - Youth Division Champion - Outdoorplay: $25 gift certificate and winner's bag, and Big Hammer Baits, and Lancer Jigs
This makes 3 consecutive years that Osteves has earned the Youth Division crown! I'm always happy to see the youth division get participation. Let's see if we can make 2019 a banner year for the kids. Every Youth Division participant who posted a fish is getting a package, and I'll do the same in 2019.

Nobaddays - Fly Division Champion - Stillwater Fly Shop: EGO landing net, and Outdoorplay: $25 gift certificate and winner's bag
It wasn't enough that you placed 6th overall, you had to go and win this too, didn't you?  ;D Great job, Nobaddays, keep throwing those bugs. I might have to call surf12foot and get him involved again just to keep you humble. I'm going to register some fish on the fly this year, but I've got a long way to go to compete with you!

Jrob - Tiny Fish Champion - Outdoorplay: $25 gift certificate and winner's bag, Tiny Trophy
5th overall and the Tiny Fish winner! Way to prove that skill comes in all sizes! :dink: It's pretty impressive to do so well in the main event and take the time to photo and enter your small fish too - a well deserved trophy and prize.

Snopro - SUP Champion - Outdoorplay: $25 gift certificate and winner's bag
The 2017 Main Event Champion was the only person to register a fish on a SUP. I really hope to see more action in this category in 2019. I'm planning to give it a go, and I know there are a few other SUPers out there too. We actually have a shot at some pretty cool SUP-related prizes if we can get more participation, so at least consider it.

IF YOUR NAME IS LISTED NEXT TO PRIZES YOU MUST PM ME YOUR SCREEN NAME, REAL NAME, AND MAILING ADDRESS TO RECEIVE YOUR PACKAGE. Yes, even if you did it last year. I will probably be able to start shipping late next week if I have your info.

All said and done we raised $1079 for Heroes On the Water. Thank you for supporting this worthy cause.

THANK YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF THE PARTICIPANTS AND SPONSORS. We didn't get quite as big of a turnout in 2018 compared to 2017, but the competition was strong. Here's hoping for a big turnout and big fish in 2019.

THANK YOU to polepole for keeping the lights on and to the volunteers and judges that make AOTY a 100% donation effort.

Special recognition is due to jed and Nobaddays for helping secure many of these prizes! The prize pool would not have been nearly so generous without their help - thank you.

You can do me, HOW, and AOTY a big favor by posting pictures of you with your winnings on social media and tagging the appropriate sponsor along with a “Thanks for supporing NWKA’s Angler of the Year” or similar message.

Keep safe, have fun, and fish on, brothers and sisters!

-------- ORIGINAL POST BELOW --------

I hate to interrupt the great conversation about puke bags over in that other thread ;D but just wanted to let y'all know that the AOTY 2018 book is officially closed, and I am working on getting a wrap-up post put together.

Please bear with me as Januaries are pretty busy for me, I am working on it!

I will update this post once I'm done.

Who has caught their first fish for 2019 AOTY? I have!

A few rule changes are coming for 2019 including 2 new species (both available in freshwater) and scoring updates!

There is also going to be a new way to get paid up.

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:31:43 AM by Captain Redbeard »

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008

A few rule changes are coming for 2019 including 2 new species (both available in freshwater) and scoring updates!

Two new species AND scoring updates! 

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I really hope it's Tarpon and White Seabass? Oh wait.. freshwater.   Nevermind.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I really hope it's Tarpon and White Seabass? Oh wait.. freshwater.   Nevermind.

Haha!  ;)

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Thanks for the hard work guys! Good job to all of the competitors and congrats to Jim on the win and some great fish. I know he fished hard all year. Fun ending to 2018 and I hope to fish with more members this year. Liking the updates to the scoring. I'll be signing up as soon as I get the 1 billion dollars it takes for licences in three states :D Good luck in 2019 everybody.

Jimbob45

• If you don’t take that first step to the next adventure, you’ll never go anywhere.
  • Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017

Thanks for the hard work guys! Good job to all of the competitors and congrats to Jim on the win and some great fish. I know he fished hard all year. Fun ending to 2018 and I hope to fish with more members this year. Liking the updates to the scoring. I'll be signing up as soon as I get the 1 billion dollars it takes for licences in three states :D Good luck in 2019 everybody.

Thank you Jed!  And thanks to the guys for putting this all on.  I had a lot of fun this year “chasing points”.  I had even more fun getting the chance to get to fish with so many amazing people!  The kayak community is beyond awesome and I can’t wait for this next year to get going full bore!
Hobie outback
Hobie Pro Angler

1st  2018 Chum Derby
1st 2018 AOTY 1966 pts

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
bump ^

check out the first post

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Congratulations to the winners and everyone who competed on behalf of the HOW contingent we thank you from the bottom of our RWB hearts.

Speaking of HOW...The Portland Chapter is having our organizational/planning meeting to set our event schedule/outreach/fundraisers this Sunday at 9:00am in Tigard if anyone is looking to get involved.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Congratulations to the winners and everyone who competed on behalf of the HOW contingent we thank you from the bottom of our RWB hearts.

Speaking of HOW...The Portland Chapter is having our organizational/planning meeting to set our event schedule/outreach/fundraisers this Sunday at 9:00am in Tigard if anyone is looking to get involved.

Where in Tigard?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Congrats Jimbob45 on the win.  You had a great year of fishing.  Look forward to seeing what this year brings.

Thank you to Lauren and all the other volunteers that put this together.

If you have never participated in AOTY you should try this year.  It is a great way to push you out of your comfort zone and fish for new species.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Thank you for the kind words and everything you do for AOTY, Captain Redbeard. Congrats again, Jim! You killed it!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
There's still a few people I don't have addresses for so if you haven't sent me yours please do so before I steal your fishing gear.  ;D

Also I don't know who youth division participant Leaderboard's parent is - please PM me.

Bigjim

• Lingcod
  • No white flags.
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Congrats to all, especially those who placed!!

Great work Lauren in coordinating another fun year...I know how much work goes on behind the scenes and you should be proud of your efforts!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Congrats to all, especially those who placed!!

Great work Lauren in coordinating another fun year...I know how much work goes on behind the scenes and you should be proud of your efforts!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Thanks, Jim, much appreciated! And thanks for the help over the years.