Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: It is here! Gluten Free Pride of the West.  (Read 2923 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Remember this goodness that we use at ORC, AOTD, as well as other fishing tournaments?

Now there is this goodness for our gluten-free folks. 
Found it today in the meat/seafood department at Fred Meyers.
I would imagine it would also be on the isle that has the fish fry batters.  I will keep an eye open and see if it pops up in other stores as well.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Well, I can finally report back on this new Gluten Free Pride of the West batter mix. 

Damn good! 

I wasn't too optimistic of it being anywhere as good as the original mix, but I will say it did not disappoint. 
Follow the instructions and let it rest at the 15 mins to absorb the liquid properly, adjust the consistency from there.
Deep fry at 365 till golden brown and the breading comes out nice and crispy with great texture in the bite. 

The fish itself (Lingcod) came out perfectly cooked, super juicy and perfect texture as desired.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Excellent!  I have a hard time getting SWMBO to eat fish.  Doesn't seem to matter if it turns out better than anything a gourmet restaurant puts out.  But, maybe this will help.  Since she has Celiac having more gluten free options is always a good thing.
2012 ORC 5th Place

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 04:34:55 PM by INSAYN »

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I had it a few weeks ago after you posted. I ran down to Fred Meyers to grab some for my grandfather in law. I thought it tasted great. I still prefer the original but it was a good substitute compared to other gluten free options.

My favorite restaurant to get fish and chips is the corbit fish house. Their fish and chips is also gluten free as it uses rice flour as th e base I believe.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I had it a few weeks ago after you posted. I ran down to Fred Meyers to grab some for my grandfather in law. I thought it tasted great. I still prefer the original but it was a good substitute compared to other gluten free options.

My favorite restaurant to get fish and chips is the corbit fish house. Their fish and chips is also gluten free as it uses rice flour as th e base I believe.

Reading the back of the label of the GF Pride of the West, it looks like it is rice flour based as well.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

Reading the back of the label of the GF Pride of the West, it looks like it is rice flour based as well.

That would have been my guess, rice or corn. The Cereal Crops class I took in college is finally paying off. Personally, I like gluten.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

That would have been my guess, rice or corn. The Cereal Crops class I took in college is finally paying off. Personally, I like gluten.

I too prefer gluten flours/foods, but my mother has found that gluten free foods don't cause bloating and now that I am getting closer to 50 I feel that I should probably follow her lead.  It takes me a long time to digest pizza crust and pasta.

The good thing though, more and and more products are being made GF, actually taste good and have a reasonable texture.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks for reporting back - I'll have to give that a try.

At my house we just mix corn flour with GF panko, salt, and spices. Dry the fish thoroughly, dredge in whipped egg, dredge in breading mix, directly into the fryer. I prefer this type of breading but it would be fun to do something different and try the batter.

anything